Brewing Program :d

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenwood

Reaction score
Hey all.
This is my first topic I have started on this site :D
I was just googleing about learning to brew as I still have heaps to learn and I found a site with a "free" program for doing recipes :D
It looks good from what I can tell but I don't know much yet. Never made a recipe.
I wont put the program link up here as I do not know if I'm allowed to but if I am can someone please tell me. It might be useful for noobs like me.

Well I thought I'd post this in case anyone wanted it or could tell me if it is a good program.

Thanks Ken

It is worth putting the time in to learn how a program like beersmith or promash work. Not sure what program you're referring to, but those are the 2 most popular ones.

I've been using brewmate. It doesn't have as many functions as beersmith but i don't know how to use the extra functions in beersmith anyway. I use brewmate for working out grainbills and hop schedules. Plus its free forever. :)

I use BeerSmith, because I paid for it, and I like all its functions.

However, I also have BrewMate installed, because i wanted to have a look at it for interests sake.
I think it is a good program, and probably simpler to use than BeerSmith.

Don't be put off by the complexity of these programs. You can use them to simply design a recipe. You don't have to use all the functions or fill all the boxes. Allow the program to insert its own default values or leave them blank, and gradually use more functions as you progress with your brewing, and come to understand what the different things in the program are.

If you are starting out with kit & kilo have a look at Iannh 's one found in Kit & extracts. Highly recommended by many.
Daz

I was just googleing about learning to brew as I still have heaps to learn and I found a site with a "free" program for doing recipes :D
I wont put the program link up here as I do not know if I'm allowed to but if I am can someone please tell me. It might be useful for noobs like me.
Thanks Ken

Here is a link to Ian's spread sheet which Ive found extremely helpful to understand the process a bit better.. there are loads of recipies in there so it can start to give you an idea on flavours and ingrediants..

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;hl=spreadsheet

throw the link from the one you've found, there is sure to be someone who's played with it and can give some advice..

good luck mate, enjoy the ride

:icon_cheers:

Don't be put off by the complexity of these programs. You can use them to simply design a recipe. You don't have to use all the functions or fill all the boxes.

Exactly. I still make all my own notes and observations, but use software just to get an idea of the gravity and the IBU. Mostly I try to look back on a recipe and do it again, with a few tweaks based on what I thought was a low point of the drinking experience. Once you nail a certain recipe on your own gear, its easy to repeat it every time, and move onto the next recipe.

Both beersmith and promash have too many capabilities for what I like to think of as a simple pleasure in formulating my own recipes. Having seen others use it to great advantage, I can see the attraction though, right down to the inventory tools, the costing, the 'what you need to order for your recipe' (in promash) etc and I'm very impressed. At the end of the day, use it for as much or as little of the functionality as suits your interest in software. At its most basic, it is great for avoiding all those manual calculations :)

Latest posts

Back