First time brewing need help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bradmcm, the directions say that adding all the BE2 will give me a 4.5% beer?
3.7% out of the fermenter. Add another 0.5% for the sugar dose in the bottles to carb them.

Also dependent on where your final gravity reading end up. Most kit and kilos will make 4.2-4.5% beer.

3.7% out of the fermenter. Add another 0.5% for the sugar dose in the bottles to carb them.

Also dependent on where your final gravity reading end up. Most kit and kilos will make 4.2-4.5% beer.
Cheers Drubbing. I started my first brew yesterday. Wish me luck!

I just realised that I have overfilled my FV by about 500ml. Have I just wrecked my first brew?

I just realised that I have overfilled my FV by about 500ml. Have I just wrecked my first brew?
Nah, it'll just be weaker. You can top up with a touch more of the enhancer if you want.

It has been 9 days since I started my brew, I have been testing the SG for 3 days now. Does 1.003 SG sound right for a Coopers Lager?

Last edited:
Looks to be very low to me.
At 1.003 FG (if that's accurate) I seriously don't think it will go any lower.
Do you intend to lager it, or what is your plan from here?
This is my first time brewing so I have just done what the kit told me to do? From the top of the hydrometer where is says 1.000 it is 3 or 4 notches down. I just want to get it as the instructions say and bottle the basic Coopers lager. My plan was to bottle it and store it away for at least 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Looks to be very low to me.
At 1.003 FG (if that's accurate) I seriously don't think it will go any lower.
Do you intend to lager it, or what is your plan from here?
This is my first time brewing so I have just done what the kit told me to do? From the top of the hydrometer where is says 1.000 it is 3 or 4 notches down. I just want to get it as the instructions say and bottle the basic Coopers lager. My plan was to bottle it and store it away for at least 2 weeks.

If it's still the same SG tomorrow, go ahead and bottle.
It won't be a true lager, as you won't have lagered it but. hey, it's what I did for my first brew 16 years ago.
Thank you for the help, what would you suggest I do do for my next brew?

Take a close look at your hydrometer, most home brew hydrometers are 2,4,6... rather than 1,2,3... so your 3-4 would be 6-8 (Oh well 1.006-1.008 really).
Which sounds much like you would expect.
Mark

Next brew make sure you clean well , taps , threads of your fermenter, everything really , use sodium percarbonate with hot water , then rinse off well
Then sanitise with no rinse sanitiser ( ask your Home brew shop )
When I did Kits I always used a kilo of malt with my Kit Tin of choice 5% Tin only 3.5%
All malt finished at 1012, your sugars ( enhancer ) will be lower, ferment for 2 weeks then cold chill to drop out and clear beer
Temperature control it using an old fridge controlled by an inkbird temp controller ales around 18 c
Use a better yeast from Home Brew shop , maybe concentrate on ales first and pitch 2 pkts per 23 Litres for 5% 1pkt if you are going for you're light beer , rehydrate your yeast ( there's a can of worms debate ) or just sprinkle
Then you are well on the way down the slippery slope down to the rabbit hole , then it starts , good luck

Last edited:
Take a close look at your hydrometer, most home brew hydrometers are 2,4,6... rather than 1,2,3... so your 3-4 would be 6-8 (Oh well 1.006-1.008 really).
Mark
I just looked at it and it is 1 per mark. It is the plastic one that comes with the Coopers 23L brew kit.

Next brew make sure you clean well taps threads of your fermenter, use sodium percarbonate then rinse off well
Then sanitise with no rinse sanitiser ( ask your Home brew shop )
When I did Kits I always used a kilo of malt with my Kit Tin of choice 5% Tin only 3.5%
All malt finished at 1012 your sugars will be lower ferment for 2 weeks the cc
Temperature control it using an old fridge controlled by an inkbird temp controller ales around 18 c
Use a better yeast from Home Brew shop maybe concentrate on ales first and pitch 2 pkts per 23 Litres
Then you are well on the way down the slippery slope good luck
Thanks for the reply, It has been at the lower end of 21c the whole time.

Mark
THis sounds more likely, but my cooper hydro was binned years ago.
I just looked at it and it and it is 1 per mark. It is the plastic one that comes with the Coopers 23L brew kit.
Are you sure? I've never had a kit brew get down that low. It's rare mine have gone under 1010. Even so, 8 days fermenting is going to be done. Brews don't take 2 weeks, even though some brewers will leave them all that long regardless.

THis sounds more likely, but my cooper hydro was binned years ago.

Are you sure? I've never had a kit brew get down that low. It's rare mine have gone under 1010. Even so, 8 days fermenting is going to be done. Brews don't take 2 weeks, even though some brewers will leave them all that long regardless.
Thank you again for all the help. Is there a hydro you would recommend?

Most look a bit like this, I would look for an Alla made in France, not too expensive and usually pretty good quality.
1683538353327.png

Lots say they are a three scale hydrometer but home brewers mostly use the S.G. scale.
It should say the temperature that its calibrated at, usually 20oC.
If you jump on youtube there will be plenty of vidieos on how to use one properly.
This one for a start
Mark

Most look a bit like this, I would look for an Alla made in France, not too expensive and usually pretty good quality.
View attachment 123448
Lots say they are a three scale hydrometer but home brewers mostly use the S.G. scale.
It should say the temperature that its calibrated at, usually 20oC.
If you jump on youtube there will be plenty of vidieos on how to use one properly.
This one for a start
Mark
Thank you Mark, I will check it. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back