Brewing in pint bottles.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rdyno

Reaction score
Hi all this is my first post here, I have just ordered a home brew kit which dose not come with bottles. I would like to use glass bottles I have had experience with them helping my mate brew his home brews, but I was collecting pint bottles as that is what I drink (little creatures long necks). Now what are the draw backs of using pint bottles (565ml) over stubbies or long necks? I was told by the guy I bought the kit off that it was a bad idea, is this true? I can source bottles but I want to know if I can use pints to save money, I was also told that the twist tops are fine to cap (which I know having capped quite a few) but I dislike the feel of capping them hence the preference towards the little creatures bottles or bought no twist top long necks.

All help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
S

Need to bulk prime if you're not using a standard 375ml or 750ml bottle or you could deliberately prime at a 375ml rate in the 565ml. Else you can stuff up sugar addition and wind up with bottle bombs. Other issue is glass thickness, probably not as good as coopers long necks. don't see any reasons that are not manageable

Get the priming rate correct and you are fine. Can bulk prime, don't have to. If you know the rate of 750mL, drop it by about 1/3.

Yea this was my thoughts that if I use sugar in between that of a stubbie or long neck I should be fine, I was the primer and capper for my mate :)

For what it's worth, I've been bottling with LC pint bottles and using only 1 coopers sugar pellet for each bottle and they carb up just nice. Mind you I only make about 3-6 each batch and keg the rest.

Sounds about right, I've always found that two Carb Drops in a standard Aussie 750 gives too much gas, one drop not enough.

Coopers now supply a lot of kits to the UK and the carb drops then send over are special pint bottle size for the UK market, as that's almost always what they bottle in over there.

My bottling preference is for LC pints.

A stubbie is never quite enough, a tallie often a touch too much.

A pint is juuuust right.

For some styles, quite low carb can be of significant benefit.

You can get three way sugar measures for .35 .5 and .75

I use LC pints. Awesome size. I use a three way measure .33 .5 .75 I find that a .5 scoop of dex or sugar primes them perfectly.

Back