Brewing For The Missus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Reaction score
Folks

I'm sitting here watching the sparge on a Ginger Blonde (75% pils, 25% wheat, 15 IBU of Target, a touch of hallertau for aroma and a crapload of ginger in the boil) I've brewed up for the missus. I find the brewery is looked at in a much more positive light if I occasionally turn out something for her. I've had some success before with my Framboise but that is a bit hard to have with a meal so this one is an attempt at a light, refreshing summer drink that she can drink with dinner.

Do you guys (and gals) have a special recipe you do every so often so you'll be allowed to keep brewing?

Cheers
Dave

If my missus drank beer i still wouldn't be doing k&k's and extracts!

I got nothing useful except a non alcoholic ginger beer (although i keep putting it off because i'm stocking up for a massive christmas day)

I've never caught any flak from my wife for my brewing, so I'm pretty lucky. I do brew a weizen for her as often as I can, sine that's her favourite. Over the years her tastes have grown and she enjoys almost anything that I make. The only beers she doesn't care for are the extremely hoppy ones, like IPA.

Last brew I did for my wife was an Appple Cider with Strawberry and a kilo and a half of various grains in minimash. Bottles 2 nights ago and tasted excellent from the fermentor. Usually any ginger or fruit drink keeps her happy, and it takes her yonks to drink them so I only do a few every year.

But then again she drinks nearly as much beer as I do ;)

Yep

got to make a chocolate porter for the wifey she thinks its awesome and its only a kit beer, one day i will make an AG porter for her

I've made cider, raspberry wheat beer, and white wine. But the biggest winner with SWMBO is always a clean, hoppy APA. Which is fine with me. B)

My other half drinks my beer and helps me brew it as well. I don't make brews 'just for her', although she convinced me to never make a pale ale again (which is a good thing, really). What I like about her is that when she drinks my beer she says "I like *this*, but *this flavour* doesn't quite work, that needs fixing". So it's a matter of making what's next on my list of recipes and her giving me feedback on it all :)

My better half is a seasoned beer drinker and has tried more different varieties of beer than me (although I am catching up) she's been to Oktoberfest three times and Belgium a few as well... so beer appreciation isn't a problem in our house. Her palate is more sensitive than mine, and if I want a flavour identified for me, she's the one I turn to first. Nails it down every time when I'm still at the "tastes kinda funny..." stage

She likes a good Euro lager, Boh Pils, Oatmeal Stout and best of all a really good APA or American IPA. Unfortunately; none of the versions I have come up with so far meet her definition of "really good" so I'm still trying. Her favourite is Alpha Pale from Matilda Bay and I've had no luck emulating it so far. Fortunatley there's been another thread on here recently that has been exploring a clone recipe for that beer, so maybe this summer I will finally make an APA that measures up to my lovely wife's exacting standards.

At the moment she's drinking my Marzen and calling it not bad and was kind enough to admit my Mash Paddle kolsch was a pretty good beer.

So luckily for me, the main reason my wife doesn't drink a lot of my homebrew isn't that she doesn't like beer, its just that she doesn't think my beer is good enough. Its pretty damn good motivation to get better. Her admitting that I am getting better makes me feel all special inside. :rolleyes:

I am a lucky ******* -- Thirsty

All you blokes sound very lucky to have partners that enjoy the beer you make. After alot of convincing I get my wife to try my latest brew and she always replys "Yes it tastes like beer". On the bright side though the other day when we stopped off at the lhbs I did catch her looking at the wine kits and a few times I have caught her flicking through the latest copy of Zymurgy. I might buy her a V-vessel for Christmas if that doesn't get her enthusiastic about beer nothing will.

I don't brew anything special for my wife, but since turning to the darkside (AG), I have successfully converted her to a beer drinker. She always had one or two if she liked something when I was K&K, but since going AG, she has loved all of them, and she told me the other day that she would now rather have a beer than a wine. I ask her if she wants me to brew anything specific, but she just tells me to brew what I want, and she's happy with that. She really likes Tony's Bright Ale recipe, as do I, so I've been brewing a fair bit of that lately.

I can brew what I like just for myself.
Mrs warra has an almost allergic intolerence of alcohol in her system. At most she'll drink a half glass of wine, but only if it's good stuff, eg Penfolds 389 or 707, or a 10 year old aged riesling or semillon etc.
She will check my beer's aroma, as she seems to have a more discriminating nose than mine, and I get feedback that way on what's worked or not. Having said that, she doesn't seem to like overly strong hoppy beer aromas. She did like the mouthful of my hefeweizen recently, which she drank after some gentle encouragement.
This also means we always have a designated driver to get us home from dinners out etc.

Mrs warra has an almost allergic intolerence of alcohol in her system. [snip] This also means we always have a designated driver to get us home from dinners out etc.

My longest stretch of not having to be the designated driver started when my wife got pregnant the first time and ended when she stopped breast feeding our 2nd child (and probably last, unless I manage to sneak another one past the goalie). Now when we go out, I always volunteer to be the designated driver. I feel I kind of owe it to her. :D

The wifey likes a shandy............so I am going to brew a light, sweet beer with a hint of lemon/lime. Perhaps sweeten with stevia or something???? Most of what I make is a little too strong and flavoursome for her. I haven't yet started with other fruit, but I bet it is a winner when I do!

Mrs warra has an almost allergic intolerence of alcohol in her system.

Similar situation but she also doesn't really like beer although she will take a sip to "see what its like".
So I have my designated driver :)

She can't say much about the brewery as she bought it in the first place....something she has regretted since. :D
In saying all that she does like my plant based ginger beers. (almost non alc)

My longest stretch of not having to be the designated driver started when my wife got pregnant the first time and ended when she stopped breast feeding our 2nd child (and probably last, unless I manage to sneak another one past the goalie). Now when we go out, I always volunteer to be the designated driver. I feel I kind of owe it to her. :D

My wife and I have adopted a fair and equitable approach to the desinganted driver issue. WE sahre the driving. I always drive to a function and she always drives home> No problems!

My wife has always been fairly supportive of my hobbes - beer, cars, drumming etc. I guess she thinks that it's all a part of what makes me, me - that person that she chose to marry.

Therefore, she doesn't mind me brewing. She has 2-3 beers of mine per week, I havn't really found one that she has got really excited over though. I'll do another Wit shortly though, she like the last one, a great summer beer.

Cheers - Mike

ROGER WATSON for SWAMBO, it's a Roggen Weizen but she has trouble with the pronunciation, so she nicked it Roger Watson, she loves the combo of spice from the rye and banana esters from Weihenstephaner 3068 fermented at 22C.

If I could find a way to make malt beer (non-alcoholic) then Mrs WJ could have her fave schuss bier...half malt, half Klsch.

Otherwise, she's happy to taste my efforts, but she's not overly fond of the hoppy beers.

WJ

Although she is not a big beer fan and is also breast feeding, my Missus loves any beers with chocolate or roasted malts.
Then again so do I.

I brew and she drinks, works well.

She loves a heavy stout which makes it our 'house ale'.

I'm usually the designated driver as I need to keep her happy in case she sees how much the new HERMS is costing !!

Latest posts

Back