Brewhouse Updates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its been too long since I've been. The Mater isn't the first beer stop on my bus route into the city anymore. Will have to out of my way to get there me thinks, as the beers are sounding good!

Is the Scottish ale on yet?

Hi Liam, the Scottish is on tap. It would be interesting to see how the public like this one. The beer is really malty with a hint of chocolate. Only a small amount of medium peat went into it. It is noticeable, both flavour and aroma, but not over the top. Please enjoy and remember that ALL feedback is welcome and good!

Cheers
Johann

Johann,

Mate I think the beers you put out are top notch - the brewhouse has become my go to bar in brissy when not drinking at home to be honest. Just curious if the scottish ale is on tap what has been replaced? The small batch summer wit was awesome as was the black IPA.

Sean

I had the scottish ale the ither day after my wallet was raped by archive. Really awesome man. Better than and i think a bit more complex flavour than the last batch which was my absolute fave beer at the time. If it takes a permanent place at the bar, I probably would too.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Feedback is one of the best tools a brewer can have, good or bad. You tend to "get used" to your house flavours and aromas. It helps to have someone else to point certain things out. It's been a lot of work to get the beers where they are, and by no means are we there yet. Please keep the faith (smiley face).

The Scottish Ale replaced the Sunset Amber Ale. I would like for us to have some sort of amber ale on the permanent lineup. If there is a good enough following on this one, it might be time for someone to have a word with Grant...maybe Liam Snorkel?!

Anyway, specs for the Scottish:

Malt: Marris Otter, Munich, Caramalt, Crystal Medium, Chocolate, Medium Peat
Hops: East Kent Goldings
Yeast: I'll leave it up to you

Cheers
Johann

Hey Johann, your Amber Ale was delicious. I told em that when I was last there.

Stopped in at lunch for a Scottish & IBA! Great beer! The 'Up Your Kilt' was tasting more like the brew I come to love at the old Albert Street. Keep up the good work!

So why do no "Scottish Ales" brewed in Scotland have any peated malt in them?? :ph34r:

A lot of people get an earthy/smokeyness from Scottish Ales (the ones brewed in Scotland) that's got to do with the water, malt, and yeast. I think it was the Americans who thought "hey, why not put some peated malt in there to make it more complex/different?" There is a lot of debate out there whether to use peat malt or not. If you want to make it true to style, then I would say no. If you want to make something different, like a Bock with Elderflower, then I would ask why not?

I professed my love for the scottish ale and was told that along with the renovations this year there will be a couple more fonts which will allow them to have more of the beers on permanently. We may not have to glass anyone after all.

Also this black IPA is sensational. :D

Hey Liam, Have you seen what take aways they have lately? They only had BPA available the last time I was there.

Have you tried the Brooklyn IPA from their fridge...farkin noice mate!!!

The takeaways come and go - they seem to always have BPA and usually the honey wheat & starlager.

In the weeks leading up to christmas they had some of the coffee porter available. :icon_drool2:

I had the Brooklyn IPA there a couple of months a go but I think it might have been an old bottle, or not travelled well. It was still nice, but seriously lacking in aroma. You win some you lose some, eh.

yeah, I had that one too but it was past it's BB date and tasted blegh. Told the bar staff that I was unhappy about paying $22 for two pints (me and a mate) of stale beer but nothing came of it.. there were none in the fridge when I went back a week later though.

Just got back from lunch at the Brewhouse.

Absolutely loved the Up Yer kilt. Malty, smokey, nutritious. Very drinkable.

Black IPA was very nice, too, but I think the hops have fallen off a little.

Pilsner was delicious, as usual. I think this is the best Pils available in Brisbane. Easy.

Nice work Johann!

Cheers - Snow.

Latest posts

Back