Brewhouse Efficiency Expectations!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmactruck

Reaction score
I have just started doing partial mashing and just finished my second one. I am curently using Beersmith to work out my brews. I have this set to 68% brewhouse efficiency. I am to believe that somewhere in between 65-80% is achievable. This brew has worked out to be close to 86% efficiency. The wort collected was SG 1.036 @ 50 degrees C. Using my chart to convert this SG to real temp it is 1.046. Beersmith calculates I would collect 12 litres of wort @1.039. I collected 11.8 liters approximately.

Does anyone else get these efficiencies??

I have only done 2 partial mashes --

1st attempt - was spot on, correlating with Beersmith

I typically get 70% preboil ... using BIAB with no sparge.

Yes. Average 75-80% efficiency with the HERMS, and on a recent batch, mashed for about 5 hours (got stuck doing errands and things) and hit 96% efficiency.

Above 70% for most people would be average, unless you're doing something wrong. However, bear in mind, as the amount of grain you use increases, the efficiency is likely to go down. (ie: I get 75% average from a 5kg grainbill, but with a 9kg grainbill using the same system, I get around 60-65%).

Cheers

Latest posts

Back