Brewery's Close

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
Dont know if it has been mentioned here yet - did a quick search and nothing came up...

Gunn Island in Melbourne is no longer brewing nor is Oxford 152 in Brisbane. Both pub breweries are owned by Bruce Matheson (and Safeways) and they are not interested in brewing so they have shut the brewery part down.

Nice bits of kit though especially the one in Brisbane as it is a complete brew house! Gunn Island only has the one fermenter.

I was up in Brisbane Jan and tried all the beers - I wouldnt rave about any of them - all good quality but all too similar the Pale was the pick for me on the day.

Gunn Island has a couple of kegs left of the Amber Ale - well it did last week if any one wants to have a last one.

Mercs Own said:
Dont know if it has been mentioned here yet - did a quick search and nothing came up...

Gunn Island in Melbourne is no longer brewing nor is Oxford 152 in Brisbane. Both pub breweries are owned by Bruce Matheson (and Safeways) and they are not interested in brewing so they have shut the brewery part down.

Nice bits of kit though especially the one in Brisbane as it is a complete brew house! Gunn Island only has the one fermenter.

I was up in Brisbane Jan and tried all the beers - I wouldnt rave about any of them - all good quality but all too similar the Pale was the pick for me on the day.

Gunn Island has a couple of kegs left of the Amber Ale - well it did last week if any one wants to have a last one.
[post="108025"][/post]​
That's disastrous news - the Bulimba micro was excellent. i'm surprised you found the beers "too similar" Mercs - quite a feat when you're serving, APA, wheat, porter, schwarz, Oktoberfest, to name but a few :blink: ...
The brewhouse is one from the excellent UK "firkin" pubs, that were similarly closed down when bought out by a non-brewing organisation...

SAD, SAD news :( ...

Can't say I'm losing sleep over Gunn Island stopping brewing. Wasn't very impress with their range.

That said, it's still bad news when a smaller brewery closes up. Diversity is a good thing.

They didnt have that range on when I was there. They had two light beers (why you would have two I dont know) a lager, a pils, the pale and maybe something else. I didnt know it at the time but I guess the brewery had been decommissioned by then and they were just running out their stocks?

Mercs Own said:
They didnt have that range on when I was there. They had two light beers (why you would have two I dont know)
[post="108035"][/post]​

yeah, never understood them having the 2 light "aussie style" beers - only ever drank them once...

Any idea what they are wanting for the brew equipment Mercs?

cheers Ross

No but I think I will try and find out! Are you curious or interested?

Actually I am sure Wes would know as he was selling them. Wes.....?????

Mercs Own said:
No but I think I will try and find out! Are you curious or interested?
[post="108064"][/post]​

Mainly curious, but I heard the one from the Reggatta went for a steal - so you never know :) ...

cheers Ross

What did that brew house consist of? and do you know what actual price it went for? Was it also a Firkin?

Mercs Own said:
What did that brew house consist of? and do you know what actual price it went for? Was it also a Firkin?
[post="108071"][/post]​

I don't think it was a firkin one Mercs, & I don't have the answers, sorry. It was scored by the Northern Rivers Brewery from memory...

cheers Ross...

Ross said:
The brewhouse is one from the excellent UK "firkin" pubs, that were similarly closed down when bought out by a non-brewing organisation...
Just to clarify, the Firkin setups were not all built out of the same mold. The 5 brewers barrel setups were fairly standard I think, but the larger setups were mostly one off builds or sometimes breweries acquired from elsewhere. Some of them were good setups, some (eg Exeter) very badly thought through and put together. In general I think it would be fair to say that the first ones they built, and the last ones they built, were shoddy and the middle ones rather better.

Latest posts

Back