Brewers With Solar Power

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So now I've been drilling into power usage for a bit and have access to the data, I thought it'd be interesting to see what the cost of brewing might be.. On Saturday, I set up my HLT and MT with HEX to turn on at 4.30am (ish) so it'd be ready for mash out when I woke up.

2015-06-10_12-24-03.jpg

the total cost from that time zone was $3.88 which isn't as bad as I'd thought it might be.

this has sweet F.A to do with solar power as such, just thought it a good place to put it

B)

We're completely on electricity here so a solar setup would be perfect. given that I work from home and the missus and kids are home all day too, I even went to the extent of tracking the shade across our roof to see if it was viable. What killed it for me was that I'd need to remove the big gum that's right next to our house or else I'd risk damaging panels with dead fall, that added another $5K to the price which made the payback period too long to justify it.

zarniwoop said:
We're completely on electricity here so a solar setup would be perfect. given that I work from home and the missus and kids are home all day too, I even went to the extent of tracking the shade across our roof to see if it was viable. What killed it for me was that I'd need to remove the big gum that's right next to our house or else I'd risk damaging panels with dead fall, that added another $5K to the price which made the payback period too long to justify it.
You are gonna pay for lectric forever.........payback period, most likely shorter and worth it.

I put 8kw on the roof last spring, cost $11,000, paying back $12,500 over 30 months, currently saving around $800 a quarter.
Current bill plus repayments is $40 a week cheaper then I was paying before, less than 2 years its paid off and I'm saving a motza....even more allowing for price increase.

Brainless equation in my opinion......Solar good, no solar no good.

zarniwoop said:
$5K how big is the tree.

Just got our first full bill back from Ergon, $195.00. Same time last year we paid $704.00 so I'm very happy.
What I am not happy about is that Ergon have just introduced a service charge of $85.00 a quarter so in reality my actual usage cost was $110.00 for the quarter.

you Victorians have it good.
Diamond energy would have given me 30c feed in Victoria but here in the state of gold thread and uv free sunshine they only pay that on your first 5kw a day, but wanted to charge an extra 2 1/2 grand for the install, that's 8 plus years to balance up, not this little black duck.

Yob said:
Nice, I wanted to fill my roof with a 15kw system but sadly, no 3 phase.
You probably couldn't justify the 15kw anyway Yob.
Energy masters only allowed me 8kw because of the size of my bills, they are really cracking down on people making money off the feed in.
I'm just pissed I didn't put them on when we built the house, among everything else just didn't factor it in.

If we had 15kw, we'd use most of it, it's why I'm looking at battery storage now.

We use plenty and our bills were huge prior, getting better but I've got a ways to go before I'll be happy

I was running about $1600 a quarter, basically cut that in half, a bit better in summer.

WEL, did you look at the charging options? I need about a 30kwh system running at a maximum %50 discharge, the point really is that it charges both by the solar AND only on off peak, so essentially not using any peak power at all and only taking grid power to charge the batteries which you use during peak.

In my case, changing the rate from something stupid like. 34kwh to. 14kwh still using essentially the same energy but being charged a fuckload less for it.

The sunnyboy Island (controller) is 6 frikkin K on its own though...

My computer is down at the moment Yob as soon as I get it cleaned I will find the article I was reading , I still think the Hydrogen system could be the go, even though it works off natural gas the use of the gas is extremely efficient.

Latest posts

Back