Brewers With Solar Power

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WarmerBeer said:
Ditch that gas burner, go with a dual-element kettle, and suddenly brewing during daylight hours becomes almost free.
Id actually like to get a 3kw system, stand alone, off grid (battery) for the brewery down the track. Though the shed roof is more suited to afternoon collection than morning but a big arse battery array should sort that out :ph34r:

Yob said:
Id actually like to get a 3kw system, stand alone, off grid (battery) for the brewery down the track. Though the shed roof is more suited to afternoon collection than morning but a big arse battery array should sort that out :ph34r:
My 20L BM sucks the life outta my batteries.
Though I've only got 2.4kW of panels.
If it's a sunny day then not a problem. Overcast - just run genny for a few hrs.
If it's ONLY for brewing, then arvo sun shouldn't be an issue - arvo sun after you've done your brew would be healthy - top the batteries back up so they don't sit flat overnight.

Been looking into battery tech for a bit now. While the impending Tesla batteries look mighty fine and bling, the 10yr life cycle of the system worries me somewhat. I might as well go a cheap and nasty system with a good charge controller (tech is already there on these) that has a similar life span.

say 10/20 of THESE that also have a 10 year life span.

The controller is the thing, it takes the residual solar power and tops up the batteries, and charges them overnight in Shoulder/off peak for use during peak when the sun goes down. So if you know that you need an average of 2.5kwh from say 5-10pm, then..

12V battery pack:
12V x 250Ah = 3000Wh (3kWh)
3000Wh / 2500W = 1.2hr

This doesn't take system loss into account so say it has an effective %50 (possibly better with the right controller)... 40mins use per battery at peak..

Now my meter is re configured, Im starting to see that Im not using (even on wintery days) all I generate (purple is feed into grid)

2015-05-08_7-57-41.jpg

So it seems Im putting about an average of 2.5kwh back to the grid per day. (getting 8c FIT which is insulting)

April last year was about 1000kwh ($213) - April this year was about 600kwh ($139) so it's doing well enough stand alone but I think I can get it down to 1/3 - 1/4 of that cost with a battery array setup. (and the right controller)

:ph34r:

*ed removed double attachment

The energy generated doesn't have to be stored in batteries. It can be stored as hot or cold water. In a header tank as a closed loop hydro system.

booargy said:
The energy generated doesn't have to be stored in batteries. It can be stored as hot or cold water. In a header tank as a closed loop hydro system.
How do you keep the hot water sanitary?

Don't want to be breeeding diseases by having a bunch of water at warm temperatures (e.g. legionella bacteria).
Maybe you could store the heat in brine

Yob said:
Been looking into battery tech for a bit now. While the impending Tesla batteries look mighty fine and bling, the 10yr life cycle of the system worries me somewhat. I might as well go a cheap and nasty system with a good charge controller (tech is already there on these) that has a similar life span.

say 10/20 of THESE that also have a 10 year life span.
Hey Yob. Did you get a quote on those batteries? And the cost of shipping? I notice the price is listed as $1-100. That a large range when you're getting 20 of em.

Fwiw, I've heard solar/energy "experts" suggest the biggest saving you can make, or best bang for buck, is to get just the battery array and forgo the solar. Ie: you save something like 80% of the cash just by getting the array to allow you to store off peak energy to use at peak times, rather than trying to generate your own energy from solar. I assume that's more of a recent thing due to the crap rebates now offered.
And those Tesla batteries look pretty sexy.

I'm getting a 2.17kw system later this year. Why only 2.17kw? Because our average daily use is 6 - 7 kWh, and we're not home during the day.

The system I'm looking at has an Enphase microinverter and 7x 310W JA Solar Modules.

The feature I like about the microinterver is that it connects to your wifi so that I can monitor the energy generation from my work, or iPhone. At some point down the track my plan is to get a split system A/C for the loungeroom, and on hot days I can turn it on during the middle of the day and cool the house down for free, then switch it off when I'm no longer generating power. Or conversely, heat the house on sunny winter days for free.

The best bang is both, particularly through the sunnier months, the less you use the grid to charge obviously the better.

technobabble66 said:
Hey Yob. Did you get a quote on those batteries? And the cost of shipping? I notice the price is listed as $1-100. That a large range when you're getting 20 of em.

Fwiw, I've heard solar/energy "experts" suggest the biggest saving you can make, or best bang for buck, is to get just the battery array and forgo the solar. Ie: you save something like 80% of the cash just by getting the array to allow you to store off peak energy to use at peak times, rather than trying to generate your own energy from solar. I assume that's more of a recent thing due to the crap rebates now offered.
And those Tesla batteries look pretty sexy.
Even at $100 that's a bargain. We just paid $5k to an Australian supplier for essentially 8 of the same batteries :huh:

How long ago Dan? What is your controller? Are you seeing good reductions in your bills?

You have solar as well or just the battery array?

We can use up to 30kw a day, average probably 24ish so I'm gunna be going large on this ;-)

This is a friend at works business http://www.magnisun.com.au/ms/

I wish it had of been up and running when I built the house, we could have put two 2kW trackers on the roof, dual axis trackers produce power from sunrise to sunset at full capacity of the panels, providing there are no clouds. They cost a bit more, but, you get far better value, heaps more power.

I know nothing about solar but am thinking it could be a solution for my situation. I have a lovely big old shed in the backyard that isnt connected to mains. Im quickly outgrowing my inside brewing space and would like to eventually do AG. Estimated cost to run power to the shed is $1500 plus usage charges beyond that.

My question, is there a way to run my shed off grid using solar and batteries or does it need to be linked into mains?

Yob said:
How long ago Dan? What is your controller? Are you seeing good reductions in your bills?

You have solar as well or just the battery array?

We can use up to 30kw a day, average probably 24ish so I'm gunna be going large on this ;-)
About 8-10 months ago. They're 280aH 12V batteries in a 48V array.
I run completely off-grid using an "Outback" MPPT (this is essentially a battery charger but different internals so it charges from the DC panel input, not AC grid/genset input.
24-30kWh is a pretty large consumption rate! Well compared to us anyway - we only used about 7-8 when we were getting bills. We don't have kids, oven/cooktop/hot water is all on gas, no air-con etc.
It does run a kegerator, domestic fridge/freezer, chest freezer, and 2 brew freezers (fermentation chambers) pretty much 24/7/52. Plus toaster, washing machine, coffee machine, TV etc like any other house.
On a sunny day I have no problems running my 20L BM but if it's cloudy I'll run the geny for a while.

If you can get those batteries at $100 or less, you might as well grab as many as you can.
You may? be able to set it up so you charge the batteries and run the house off peak from the grid, then during the day feed ALL solar power into the grid while using the batteries to run the house?
Would require a bit of messing around by a sparky to set it up, but could be worth the hassle.

Killer Brew said:
... is there a way to run my shed off grid using solar and batteries or does it need to be linked into mains?
You don't need mains. At the time we set our system up, it cost us about $25k
Since then electronic components and panels have dropped in price considerably and batteries were the biggest price component.
But if the batteries Yob has found comply with Oz standards and are $100 or less - we could set up again for well under half the cost.
Not sure what people are paying each quarter on their bills - besides replacing batteries once, we haven't paid a cent since setting up!

Just thought id add what I can here.

I'm no expert on solar, but my old man has a 5kw system on his garage.
He is constantly in credit with his power company and just writes in for a cheque every now and then when he
wants some extra cash.

Works a treat there. No batteries, just feeding back into the grid.

EDIT:

Maybe its more than a 5kw system.. I'll have to check

Look out Yob's doing another bulk buy.
Put me down for 2 for my camper.

Price depending.

I have 1.5kw system on the roof with micro inverters (shade issues), glad I did it but don't see much bill reduction at 6c buy back.

I would like to see these come to oz. put this turbine on the roof and generate during the night. I'm on the top of a hill and think it would do ok. If only we had a govt that would support these ideas better....

http://gizmodo.com/eureka-a-whisper-quiet-wind-turbine-based-on-archimede-1582606998

Beercus

Latest posts

Back