Brewers With Solar Power

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GrumpyPaul said:
On another note...

We have a fairly small 1.5kw system and I am kicking myself we didn't go huge in the first place.

Have made some enquiries since about upgrading and adding more panels.

We are currently on the old 66c feed in tarrif.

If I upgrade to a bigger system I drop to the current pissy amount of 6c (or whatever it is).

So there is no point upgrading. Most of our power use is in the night time - so a bigger system wouldnt help us much because we don't use much during the day.

As long as I don't change or upgrade I keep my 66c tariff.
Couldn't you have two separate systems. The high feed in feeding the grid and the new system reducing your home usage?

We are talking about one but it won't be for a while yet. Saw a 5kw system with true value solar for $5k the other day. Inverter and 20 panels..

Just don't have room for 20 panels :/

Yob said:
WTF?

That's a fair differenc..
A huge difference...its almost like they want to discourage you form being more energy efficient.

Heres a link to the info about the current rate tariff of 6.2c

http://www.energyandresources.vic.gov.au/energy/environment-and-community/victorian-feed-in-tariff-schemes/current-feed-in-tariff

I'm on the discontinued "Premium Tariff" of 60c - see the link below

superstock said:
Couldn't you have two separate systems. The high feed in feeding the grid and the new system reducing your home usage?
Not sure - Reading this info about the premium tariff looks like they don't want people to add to their systems.

http://www.energyandresources.vic.gov.au/energy/environment-and-community/victorian-feed-in-tariff-schemes/closed-schemes/premium-feed-in-tariff

Yep, don't change anything on your system unless you're prepared to loose your FIT.

A few years ago I've put 7.6Kw worth of panels (38 of them, would have loved to add more but ran out of space) onto a 5Kw inverter. Over loading works with certain inverters (like Trannergy)and means that our system is putting out 5.15Kw/h for most of the day, even at hours with less sunlight.

We have got 44 cent guaranteed until 2018 plus another 6 cent voluntarily provided by Origin. Our system has pretty much paid itself off by now or is at least fairly close, which means from now on it's free electricity plus a nice cheque once a year.

Can panels be replaced output drops off with age of panels.

What happens when there is a disaster like storm or fire and replaced under insurance .

Yob said:
Does anyone know if the FIT will vary from company to company or is it set at state level?
The FIT itself is set at state level, but individual companies can add on top if they want. in QLD origin pays an extra 6 cent, but obviously not guaranteed until 2028 like the FIT.

Wynnum1, you'd think insurance replacement would be fine, but check with Energex or the like, they can tell you for certain.

not sure that you get financial value out of replacing older panels, you'd have to do the sums and check the legalities.

all this is obviously only important if you secured a high FIT a few years ago, if you start now at 6 cent you can replace and add as much as you like as you will still be at 6 cent afterwards or maybe a little less.
you don't loose your FIT, you get 'downgraded' to the current rate.

another way to loose your high FIT is transferring the power bill into someone elses name, your partners for example or a prospective buyer of you property. Likewise if you buy a house now, you won't be getting the high FIT the previous owner is advertising.

all this I know for certain for qld, google your state and FIT regulations and you should get all the answers you need.

Just noticed this morning inverter has crapped itself. Off to call installers.

have you checked your switch board? might just be the orange switch down.

Florian said:
The FIT itself is set at state level, but individual companies can add on top if they want. in QLD origin pays an extra 6 cent, but obviously not guaranteed until 2028 like the FIT.
From my research most of the companies that have a bonus FIT also charged more for usage. So give with the left hand and take with the right hand.

Eagleburger said:
Just noticed this morning inverter has crapped itself. Off to call installers.
What type of inverter?

I think I've almost settled on a system

5kw
SMA sunnyboy
LG monopoly x 18

They have a low temperature coefficient and are a known brand unlikely to fold in the next few years.

What a head..K sorting through the masses of panels and inverter available..

Just a little more research on the LG and push that button

If you are serious about installing solar PV panels you need to do your self a favour and check out the cost benefits of including a dual axis solar tracker as part of your installation provided you have the available room

The following web site is just one of those that sell and install these units and based on their claims you can get up to 40% more daily out put or alternatively reduce the number of panels installed for the same output.

I have a 5KW system installed on my roof and if I had adopted a dual axis solar tracker I would have got the same daily out put from just 3KW

Live and learn as they say

http://www.ecoforlife.com.au/solar_trackers.html

Cheers

Wobbly

Aurora. All switches are go. The relay is cycling. With a google search I am guessing that is the problem. Still under warranty so not mine. Been good getting 80 bucks in the pocket even with the aircons running flat out.

Wonder if a tracker is one way to bump up a system which is on the 66c tariff ;)

They look like they present some pretty serious point loads to a roof system, my bet is you'd need some pretty serious structure upgrade to support it.

wobbly said:
If you are serious about installing solar PV panels you need to do your self a favour and check out the cost benefits of including a dual axis solar tracker as part of your installation provided you have the available room

The following web site is just one of those that sell and install these units and based on their claims you can get up to 40% more daily out put or alternatively reduce the number of panels installed for the same output.

I have a 5KW system installed on my roof and if I had adopted a dual axis solar tracker I would have got the same daily out put from just 3KW

Live and learn as they say

http://www.ecoforlife.com.au/solar_trackers.html

Cheers

Wobbly
I was the state manager for one of the major global solar manufacturers and in the industry for over 6 years. Solar trackers sound good, but there is way more maintenance and more to go wrong. If you have a solar farm with a guy to service the systems constantly then great, but otherwise you will find that they will probably cost you more in the long run than they make you.

You have to remember that your panels have a 25 year performance warranty, your dual axis mount would probably have a 5 or at best 10 year warranty (sorry I couldn't open the link to see it properly) after that if it breaks down you have to get an electrician in to replace everything onto a new unit. Panels on roof should be pretty much set and forget if you pick the right brands.

Those claims of the same output for a 3kw system sound pretty inflated, there are way too many other factors in there. They are perfect in lab with original module claims, not real world claims.

Plus, solar panels are so cheap these days that you would be way further in front by adding extra panels like florian did. Just get a good inverter like an sma that can handle being over loaded with panels

Getting our 6 Kw system installed tomorrow, went for the SMA Sunnyboy 5000 inverter and 24 x Jinko panels. Hope Ergon don't kick up a stink when I take the hot water system off Tariff 33.

Latest posts

Back