Brewers Please Give Your Honest A Opinion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice rig.

I'd recommend doing DrSmurto's Golden Ale - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=502 - it's a very tasty beer that's easy to make. I've got it on tap at the moment and I'm loving it.

Getting the gear from Nev will cost $24, hops $10, yeast $5. He's in Success Hill so not far from you.

As others have said - avoid buying the finishing hops, just buy 90-100g packs of hops. They'll eventually get used in future brews and saves a heap of money.

Awesome :)
I am just up the road from you on Lord Street and I brew with the local water I will have to give you some of my water to try! maybe I can test your beer and you can test some of mine but I am a real ale lover tho wheat beer is a frav too and I haven't tried brewing any larger or pilsners yet.

All the best
MarkT

Im in Belmont, same deal here, bring one of those beers over for a taste. I've got a lager on tap at the moment brewed from tapwater if you want to try

Or if you don't have any sparky mates or don't want to piss about with it, get an STC1000 already made up:
STC1000 complete
Thanks just bought the All-purpose temperature controller thermostat STC-1000 with NTC sensor 220v on ebay for $24.00 including postage. For the time being the AG will stay in my kegerator until the controller gets to me.

Plus Thank you to all who have comments. A lot to take in when it comes to AG, I'm very keen to make better tasting beer than extract.

I thinking of booking in to the Masterclass All Grain Brewing Course in June

Just over $100 from memory.
Seems he's out of stock, but I think he just makes them as he gets orders.

I'm just thinking the STC-1000 costs say $50 to buy the unit, and the parts to house/hook it up. For the extra $ in this pre-made unit, if it should be the cause to burn your house down then the insurance should not void the claim over it as it's not a home wiring job.

Just thinking out aloud.

WTF $72 HOLY CRAP. for grain and hops I do 25 litre final volum batchs for $25, maybe $30 if the are loads of hop. You should only be paying $4 per kg for top of the line FRESH UK floor malted or German stuff. So 5kgs of that a few dollars for hops and even if you are not re-using yeast I think a dry yeast should only be $4 or $5. If thats not the case you should order from Marks Homebrew online.

Steve

Back to the brew. Sorry about being on topic :lol:

I would be looking at mash procedures if you are getting a biscuit taste.

IE; mash temp, check that your thermometer is reading correctly and if you have someone near who does AG then do a brew with them or have them comr and brew with you and at least taste your beer for a second opinion.
Ensure that you are not over sparging or extracting tannins due to incorrect temperatures.

Cheers

Back to the brew. Sorry about being on topic :lol:

I would be looking at mash procedures if you are getting a biscuit taste.

IE; mash temp, check that your thermometer is reading correctly and if you have someone near who does AG then do a brew with them or have them comr and brew with you and at least taste your beer for a second opinion.
Ensure that you are not over sparging or extracting tannins due to incorrect temperatures.

Cheers

I'd be explaining to the daughter that dipping her biscuits, to soften them, before eating into daddy's wort is not good.

I'm just thinking the STC-1000 costs say $50 to buy the unit, and the parts to house/hook it up. For the extra $ in this pre-made unit, if it should be the cause to burn your house down then the insurance should not void the claim over it as it's not a home wiring job.

Just thinking out aloud.

http://www.approvalsandcertification.com.a...%20articles.pdf

$2,200 fine for selling unapproved devices.

And i doubt the insurance company is goind to care who built it. If its unapproved your insurance won't cover it (though you could possibly then sue the guy who's making them)

WTF $72 HOLY CRAP. for grain and hops I do 25 litre final volum batchs for $25, maybe $30 if the are loads of hop. You should only be paying $4 per kg for top of the line FRESH UK floor malted or German stuff. So 5kgs of that a few dollars for hops and even if you are not re-using yeast I think a dry yeast should only be $4 or $5. If thats not the case you should order from Marks Homebrew online.

Steve
BrewMart on the Website http://www.brewmart.com.au/

JW EXPORT PILSNER MALT 500g $4.95
1Kg $5.95
25Kg $65.00

Come along to this months west coast brewers meet. It's on Monday 14th. Bring along some samples and you'll get some very good feedback from a few that are either bjcp judges or in the process of being such. Bring along the recipe as well as that always helps.

those prices from brewmart website seem to be different to inshop. I got some grain there the other week and it was $5/kg.

http://www.approvalsandcertification.com.a...%20articles.pdf

$2,200 fine for selling unapproved devices.

And i doubt the insurance company is goind to care who built it. If its unapproved your insurance won't cover it (though you could possibly then sue the guy who's making them)
Doesn't look like they are approved either:
ELETRICAL SAFETY
NOT AN AUSTRALIAN CERTIFIED APPLIANCE
DANGER-DO NOT USE OR CONNECT TO SUPPLY-THIS
ELETRICAL EQUIPMENT MAY BE FAULTY AND SHOULD BE
INSPECTED AND TESTED BY A COMPENTENT PERSON IN
ACCORDANCE WITH AS/NZS 360

Before I run out and buy a temperature controller, which one do you recommend for a 300L fridge
BrewMate has the ED330 Temperature controller for $129.95 is this any good?

You should be able to get a fridgermate temp controller from brewmart for around $49 (or at least it was when I bought it). It more than you need.

QUOTE (georgecopley @ May 3 2012, 02:59 PM)

1Kg $5.95
25Kg $65.00

--------
Way to encourage new brewers Brewmart! 500g bag marked up by 380% on the price of a sack. Its bloody grain not gold dust.

Disgraceful. As bad as trying to be a responsible drinker and buying a single bottle for $4 or $5 when a carton is about $60. Or a middy (pot) costing 80% of the price of a pint at the pub. Makes me angry!

QUOTE (georgecopley @ May 3 2012, 02:59 PM)

1Kg $5.95
25Kg $65.00

--------
Way to encourage new brewers Brewmart! 500g bag marked up by 380% on the price of a sack. Its bloody grain not gold dust.

Disgraceful. As bad as trying to be a responsible drinker and buying a single bottle for $4 or $5 when a carton is about $60. Makes me angry!

You also need to realise the handling costs of 500g to 1kg is probably the same. Same price and time to pack. Negligible postage difference unless the 1kg puts you over a postage weight bracket.

It's called "I don't want to sell 500g at a time, but I will if you pay through the ass"

Disgraceful. As bad as trying to be a responsible drinker and buying a single bottle for $4 or $5 when a carton is about $60. Or a middy (pot) costing 80% of the price of a pint at the pub. Makes me angry!

Most LHBS's are the same. If the person buying it can't see the value in getting double the amount for the extra $1 then you can't really blame the shop.

You also need to realise the handling costs of 500g to 1kg is probably the same. Same price and time to pack. Negligible postage difference unless the 1kg puts you over a postage weight bracket.

It's called "I don't want to sell 500g at a time, but I will if you pay through the ass"

I realise this but seriously, 380% ? Brewmart is a walk-in shop. How much do they think their labour is worth? 500g should be about 200% on the sack price (roughly $2.50 for base malts), and I know places where it is.

Latest posts

Back