Brewer's Bookshops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wee stu

wee stu's brury - hand made beers, award winning l
Reaction score
Anybody who knows me will know that I am a slut.
A beer book slut.
I cannot resist a book on beer or brewing. In the last couple of years, since the brewing bug really bit, I have developed a collection nearing a hundred titles.
Most of the time this has been hard work. Hours spent scouring the internet, sometimes when sober. More hours wasted fruitlessly visiting bookshops in the forelorn hope that the wine and beverages section will not be limited to wine, cocktails, shooters, coffee, detox recipes and the health giving antioxidant benefits of grean tea.

Now, I have actually found a store that meets my bibliomaniacal needs. If only I had any books left to buy :angry: .

If you live in Adelaide, or are visiting, and you have some discretionary cash to spend on brewing literature, I would strongly suggest a visit to the Dymocks store in Rundle Mall.

How is this for a list of titles on sale? Correct as at yesterday morning:

Daniels: Designing Great Beers
Mosher: Radical Beers
Nachels: Homebrewing for Dummies (don't scoff, this is actually quite a good book)
Lines: Big Book of Brewing
Papazian: Microbrewed Adventures
Noonan: New Brewing Lager
Palmer: How to Brew (Vol 3 no less!)
Simpson: The Beer Bible
Oliver: The Brewmaster's Table
Sparrow: Wild Brews
Hieronymus: Brew Like A Monk
Markowski: Farmhouse Ales

For a generalist bookshop, that is a pretty impressive inventory. It certainly sh&ts over the multinational chain further along the mall (their selection borders on the non existent), and the store is locally owned and managed. The guy who runs it is a tall silver haired guy called Bruce. His wife makes sure the brewing books stay stocked. The rest of the staff are friendly and cluey. If you call in, by all means say hello and tell them the wee scottish brewer sent you.

Meanwhile, if anyone else knows of a good source of brewing books (the Caloundra public library somehow springs to this mind :D ) please add them to this thread.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Dymocks in Rundle Mall.
I have dreams of them sponsoring ANAWBS, which I am deeply affiliated to.
But, heh, we all have the right to dream.

awrabest,
stu

edit: Papazian book title corrected

Wow Stu, that really is a decent selection! I wonder the manager & his wife imports the books themselves or if the greater Dymocks chain can also order them from a supplier of something. It'd be great to see something like that here in Syd!

Tim.

The Dymocks down this way(Macarthur Square) will order any beer book if you have all the details and they can find it in their "magic thinking machine"......

Then Borders arrived!!!! has a dedicated beer section!!!! with over a dozen titles(mainly fluff but still beer!) and BYO in the magazine rack too...pretty heavy prices though

Any half decent book store will order in whatever they don't have in stock if you ask nicely. And it always helps if you have the ISBN.

Support your local book store: take wee stu's list from above and ask for a copy of each!

Daniels: Designing Great Beers - ISBN 0937381500
Mosher: Radical Brewing - ISBN 0937381837
Nachels: Homebrewing for Dummies - ISBN 0764550462
Lines: Big Book of Brewing - ISBN 1854862359
Papazian: Homebrewed Adventures - couldn't find this but found Microbrewed Adventures - ISBN 0060758147
Noonan: New Brewing Lager - ISBN 0937381829
Palmer: How to Brew - ISBN 0937381888
Simpson: The Beer Bible - ISBN 1921190221
Oliver: The Brewmaster's Table - ISBN 0060005718
Sparrow: Wild Brews - ISBN 0937381861
Hieronymus: Brew Like A Monk - ISBN 093738187X (yes, there's an X on the end)
Markowski: Farmhouse Ales - ISBN 0937381845

and some more...

Papazian: Complete Joy of Homebrewing - ISBN 0060531053
Papazian: Home Brewers Companion - ISBN 0060584734
Pepper et al: Beer Glorious Beer - ISBN 1899163468
Fix: Principles of Brewing Science - ISBN 0937381748 (one for the nerds)

Any half decent book store will order in whatever they don't have in stock if you ask nicely. And it always helps if you have the ISBN.

Good work hunting down the ISBNs. Very helpful.

I agree, any bookshop worth their bookmarks will hunt down specific books for you.

I am a terrible impulse driven buyer, however.
What I like about my local Dymocks is that they clearly see the likes of me coming ;)

Both Boffins and Rellims in Perth have a few books on offer. At different times I've seen Daniels, Papazian, Noonan, Mosher and others.

Stu, are you saying they are ON SALE, or this is what they sell?

C&B
TDA

Sorry, English is an acquired language for me :p

What I meant to say is that those are books that they sell, and had on display when I last lookd.

Sadly, none of them were on discount :( .

(unsolicited)

G&G in Melb have a shelf of the popular titles, i belive they're having a sale on books this month too.

grainandgrape in Melbourne have 20% off all there books for this month

rook

I am a slut.
A beer book slut.

thank Jeebus you are Stu, I'm loving Mosher's Radical Brewing (on loan from the WeeStu Librewery - brewing bigots should check this book out :ph34r: ) as much as Daniels' Designing Great Beers.
I'd definitely recommend brewing books and podcasts to suppliment your AHB addictions.
For you guys living within the city of West Torrens (breaks dinner plate ceremoniously) I've requested that our library obtain a copy and you guys can officially borrow it (after me), so Stu can get his copy back.

For you brewers outside of WTCC, send an email to your local library and request some decent books. Tell them it'll fill a gap in their range of books. (to a librarian, that's like saying "you suck at your job, but thank goodness I'm here to save you" ;) )

Any half decent bookshop will order in books for you.

Make sure you take in the exact title and author. ISBN's and publishers also help. Be aware that from smaller suppliers, there will be a small order handling fee which the bookshop will pass on. If you are prepared to wait a week or two the order from the bookshop to that supplier may build up and the small order fee avoided.

Any really decent bookshop will have at least some of your special interest books on the shelf to browse through and make a selection from. There is nothing like wandering into a bookshop and finding a book in your field of interest. You can then decide if it is something you can not live without, or the grammar, recipes and ingredients not to your style.

This is where bookshops such as the one highlighted by Stu shine. They have the books there to browse through. Plus others you may or may not have considered buying.

Top marks to the bookshops that have realised that quality homebrewing is on the rise and stock good books.

There are absolutely non decent stores like this in Perth. Its like the void of brewing books. Every time I go to a bookshop I specificalyl go to that section and...oh look, theres the homebrewing for dummies book again. wee.

Piffle.

I don't have any brewing books at all!! I spend my book money on stuff by Francis Fukuyama and other such IR experts.

Latest posts

Back