Brew library

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimT

Reaction score
Here's my brew library at the moment.

The Complete Guide to Beer and Brewing, Laurie Strachan - good guide to both all grain and kit brewing. It's my go-to book since the recipes are simple and allow for a great deal of variation.

Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers, Stephen Harrod Buhner - different perspectives from a naturalist.

Understanding Beer Making, Grant Sampson - picked this one up at a local store. It seems a bit redundant for me (it's essentially a guide to kit brewing) but I picked up one or two useful tips from it.

Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery and Booke of Sweetmeats, transcribed by Karen Hess - some very interesting old recipes for beer, mead and cheese are included within. Insight into both early US cookery and 17th/18th century English cookery.

Country Wines & Cordials: Wild Plant & Herbal Recipes for Drinks Old & New, Wilma Paterson - that's the ticket! Now we're getting into that time when brewing was mostly in charge of batty old cat ladies who lived in hovels (hey, I mean that in a nice way! (Okay, full disclosure: the book was printed in 1980)). Few beer recipes, but there is a very interesting recipe for 'barley posset'.

Old-time recipes for Home Made Wines, Cordials and LIquers, Helen S. Wright - lots of folky recipes here, stuff like 'Tomato Beer' and 'Pea Beer' and, a lovely idea, 'Ebulum' - strong ale with elderberries, juniper, and spices. Also the inevitable spruce beer and molasses beer and root beer.

The Art of Fermentation, Sandor Ellix Katz - Katz is an all-round enthusiast about fermentation but there is some good stuff in here about wild-fermented beers, lambics, and meads.

True Brews: How to craft fermented cider, beer, wine, sake, soda, mead, kefir, and kombucha at home, Emma Christensen - not a book aimed at the purist brewer as such, but Christensen has some creative suggestions about using kefir to make lemonades, chai-spiced mead, etc. There's a gluten-free beer recipe in there too. I like it because I think it's been quite succesfully targeted at an audience other than the traditional brewing crowd - ie, obsessive chaps like myself.

The Drunken Botanist, Amy Stewart - this one was a library borrowing but it gave me plenty of ideas. The focus is mainly on plants in spirits.

From the Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby, Knight, Sir Kenelm Digby - I use the online Gutenberg version. Aside from his voluminous section on meads, there's a fabulous slipcoat cheese recipe in there, and plenty of other stuff too. Also ale and cider recipes.

Cider: Making, using & enjoying sweet & hard cider, Annie Proulx & Lew Nichols - of interest not just as a brew book but as the first book by a Pulitzer prize winning novelist! It seems to have been very cannily written at the start of the homebrew boom. From this book I learned that one of the scales for measuring the sugar in must is the 'Twaddel' scale. Tee hee.

(And that's not even venturing into my cheese making library....)

Your turn folks! What's in your library? Any additions you think should be made to mine? (I'd love to get Charlie Papaizon's book, for instance).

Thanks Duca. Most brewers I bet have some sort of brewing Bible - one that has pride of place on their shelf and is referred to on most or every brew day. For me that's Strachan's book.

I should probably have mentioned the magazine side as well - I've got a two year subscription to Beer and Brewer, who amongst other things have published an interesting recipe for pumpkin beer that I'd like to try sometime. They're not bad but I haven't seen any other brewing magazines out there to compare them to.

I would also get pretty much the entire Brewers Publications series of books, also anything by Charlie Bamforth or George Fix.

I'm surprised by how many I've got actually, but I suppose a lot cross over with my other interests in cooking and cheese making and the home arts more generally.

TimT said:
I should probably have mentioned the magazine side as well - I've got a two year subscription to Beer and Brewer, who amongst other things have published an interesting recipe for pumpkin beer that I'd like to try sometime. They're not bad but I haven't seen any other brewing magazines out there to compare them to.
Check out BYO, I had a subscription to Beer and Brewer but cancelled it and went with BYO instead
Much more homebrew oriented, whereas Beer and Brewer is mostly industry
*edit* I must mention that BYO is american, but they do volume/weight conversions in the articles/recipes

Yeah, I've referred to BYO's recipes/advice columns on line occasionally. They seem pretty good.

From time to time I've considered putting out a kind of home craft/brewing zine. I think the idea's got potential because while the magazines about brewing are professionally produced and have some good writing, I'm often left wanting a bit more. I'd love to find out more about the history of brewing, for instance.

TimT said:
The Art of Fermentation, Sandor Ellix Katz - Katz is an all-round enthusiast about fermentation but there is some good stuff in here about wild-fermented beers, lambics, and meads.
This is a fricken' great book.
It's more about fermenting foods rather than focusing on just drinks.

TimT said:
Cider: Making, using & enjoying sweet & hard cider,
You should do a book report on this. Its a much debated topic.

Also I'd like to know how to use and enjoy hard cider and see if the method is applicable to beer.

Thanks Dave, I might sometime. I don't remember all the details, but I read it over summer last year and used it as a reference when we made a cider from windfall apples we picked while holidaying in Bright in the autumn. (It seems to have matured recently into a good apple wine, whereas in its younger months it was much more powerful).

The book's not really prescriptive, apart from the fact that it favours the use of campden/sodium metabiusulfate to knock out potentially harmful bacteria, rather than just going completely au naturelle. (Understandable, since they argue that whereas old cider makers had tonnes of apples to dispose of, modern cider homebrewers are usualy only able to make a few batches at best and it would be horrible having to throw one out). There are recipes for champagne ciders (the sort that are relatively similar to the Strongbows, etc, of the present day) and the hard ciders (the apple wines, much less popular these days). Of course it can be hard to come by cider apples - stuff with all the tannins and other flavours in them - so the book isn't prescriptive there, either. Also there are chapters about growing your own apple orchard, etc, and some quaint details about how people used to make cider. (Steaks at the bottom of the barrel, for instance!) And details like whether to use a plastic carboy, or a glass demijohn, or an oak barrel are considered at length too.

Since you're interested in historical brewing, etc. I figured this may be of interest to you. There's a booklet produced by the "Durden Park Beer Circle" a London Homebrew Club where the members researched and re-created old recipes. My interest is that it includes a lot of porters from original sources, like brewer's notebooks etc.

You can get it from them here: http://www.durdenparkbeer.org.uk/Publications.htm

(It cost less than $15 from memory)
I'm going to be doing the Whitbred's 1850 London Porter recipe as part of a brewing course in Newcastle in a couple of weeks. Very excited.

Dave70 said:

Also I'd like to know how to use and enjoy hard cider and see if the method is applicable to beer.
I thought the distinction is because of an Americanism where apple juice and cider are both referred to "apple cider". So they say "Sweet cider" and "Hard cider".
I guess it's a bit like we say chips, and "Hot Chips" if there is a need to distinguish.

Unless you're talking about that strongbow/recordlig/etc.etc. Aren't these more apple flavoured alco-pops? Are they actually made with fermented apples at all?

If the fkn would ever get fixed you could check out reviews of a tonne of brew books amd add ur reviews to the article.
Fat chance of it happening in my life time though. Im sure we'll have an android ahb app before that. Yay another thing we didnt need or want.

Hey TimT, I also have The Art of Fermentation and think it is great. I got it more for the food fermenting side of things but the brewing section is interesting too.

One of the first brewing books that I bought (and still one of my favourites) was Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing. It has a pretty good overview of the brewing process in the first few chapters but the best parts are the discussions on various beer styles, their origins and historical recipes.

citymorgue2 said:
If the fkn would ever get fixed you could check out reviews of a tonne of brew books amd add ur reviews to the article.
Fat chance of it happening in my life time though. Im sure we'll have an android ahb app before that. Yay another thing we didnt need or want.
Amen to that!

Hey Mr Wibble, that's a great link! I'll be sure to check out the publication you mention. The book "Old-time recipes for Home Made Wines, Cordials and LIquers by Helen S. Wright does have a porter recipe and it dates to, I think, 1902. I'm not sure about the reliability of the recipe - I glanced in the cover yesterday and she drew from a number of sources though I suspect, like Mrs Beeton, she probably didn't test the majority of her recipes. Historical brewing is a fascinating area, that's for sure.

I think because of the long fermentation cider is much more comparable to wine than to beer. You get the sugar for the yeast in cider from crushing the apples, the sugar for the yeast in beer by the mash/sparge process. But I don't think there's any fixed definition of wine, cider, or beer. (You make wine with grapes.... and sometimes with sugar. You make cider with apples.... though you can make it with pears too. You make beer with barley.... or wheat, millet, corn, etc....)

I think Strongbow is essentially a very light cider. Rekorderlig, well, I read the ingredients on a revolting strawberry Rekorderlig I had a while ago, and it was essentially a sugar cordial with some cider thrown in to give it an alcoholic character! Not sure about their exact process, but they probably just lightly ferment the cider, then boil it to kill the yeast before adding flavourings and sugars. Alternatively, some of the flavourings may be just unfermentable sugars.

Hey, how'd I go in the course of two comments from 'amateur brewer' to 'kit master'? I feel drunk on power. (Would rather be drunk on beer.)

TimT said:
Hey Mr Wibble, that's a great link! I'll be sure to check out the publication you mention. The book "Old-time recipes for Home Made Wines, Cordials and LIquers by Helen S. Wright does have a porter recipe and it dates to, I think, 1902. I'm not sure about the reliability of the recipe - I glanced in the cover yesterday and she drew from a number of sources though I suspect, like Mrs Beeton, she probably didn't test the majority of her recipes. Historical brewing is a fascinating area, that's for sure.
Old-time recipes for Home Made Wines, Cordials and LIquers

https://archive.org/details/oldtimerecipesf00wriggoog

Latest posts

Back