New member, long time brewer, big ambitions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWiggman

Haters' gonna hate
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been doing home brew since I was about 22 after having a go at it with some friends at uni. It was cheap, and that got me hooked. Since then I bought my own Coopers kit and went hell-for-leather for about a year. During my first job I managed to pick up 2 PID temperature controllers for nix and always had dreams that these things could somehow make my life better in the future. More on that later. After that I moved jobs/states and the kit never really got unpacked between moves (I was a bit nomadic working with a mining company). Couple this with marriage and kids and priorities changed.

I built a home theatre subwoofer for a mate while living remotely and he in turn handed over a keg kit that he didn't use any more. A spark lit up in me and I vowed to put them to good use. The gear was old but all it needed was a fridge and a CO2 cylinder. I got anxious.

I've now settled in Orange and have met a few home brewers. I'd only ever done kit stuff (had a few decent recipes from the home brew store in Mayfield, Newcastle) and some new colleagues talked up the BIAB method. The concept of grains was foreign to me so I was keen to know more. I committed and cleaned out the keg gear after a said colleague offered me a fridge, and bought a CO2 Keg King cylinder. One regulator, perished O-rings and bent keg later, and I was back in action. The keg concept certainly got me back into it and my wife could see my enthusiasm. She bought me a home brew book for father's day full of all grain recipes and that was the end of it. It was my duty to pursue this. I thank her still for the book to this day, and she's regretting it more and more when she sees my browser history.

I did a BIAB brew with the bloke who offered me the fridge and I brought the PID controller around. It was perfect for the water but for the grain there were shortcomings I won't go into (suffice to say it involved temperature gradients, placement of the sensor and overheating). While mulling over improvements he showed me the Braumeister and we thought about continuous pumping. I haven't stopped thinking about it since then.

I'm not one to muck around with things when I do them, and this is something I want to do right first time. My plan is to make a system which can take advantage of the PID controllers for temp control and allow me to do multi-stage rests at the press of a button. One day I can envisage a system which is PLC controlled for the most part, but this is not the purpose. The real reason is I want complete customisation of my brewing, the ability to make any recipe I might come across, and minimise room for error. Above all though the journey is half the fun and at the end of the day I should have some quality brews which I can be proud to say are my own. Plus funds are limited thanks to my wife and her 'home living' ideas, and my 3 kids sucking up the rest. Not being able to afford what I want means I want it even more.

I read the terms and conditions and noted point 7. I think I'm in the right place. Stainless does it for me.

You have funds shortage and stainless does it for you?

Dude.. You is in trouble.. Ha ha..

Look up dedicated HERMS.. Even more trouble, worth it though, doesn't have to be that expensive.

Good luck and happy brewing

Latest posts

Back