Breweries or good pubs in Wellington

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonP

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any good pubs or microbreweries to visit in and around wellington NZ?

Thanks, will check it out. The fork and brewer sounds good.

Here you go bro'

About five years since I was in Wellie and obviously craft beer has grown enormously since I was there. Personally recommend The Malthouse and Hahigo Zake that's down an alley then down some stairs - an excellent drinking experience, like descending down the stairs in a 1930s movie into the underground bar, loved that place and has or had a couple of hand pumps as well.

The advantage of Wellington is that the CBD is ultra compact compared to many Australian capitals so it's a short stagger to everywhere.

edit: Macs brewery at the harbour is only an outlet now, when I was there they had stripped out the brewery and it's all brewed now at Lion. However it's a good lunch venue if you want to sit in the sun at the harbour frontage. I was there in the winter and wearing a T shirt.

Bribie G said:
Macs brewery at the harbour is only an outlet now, when I was there they had stripped out the brewery and it's all brewed now at Lion. However it's a good lunch venue if you want to sit in the sun at the harbour frontage. I was there in the winter and wearing a T shirt.
BUGGER!! I was there in '06 & was oogling the shiny stainless. Had a quick chat with the bar manager & was quickly introduced to the Head Brewer, who fell over himself to show me around, explain all the "bits" & openly talk technical with another fellow brewer.

Venue is definitely great for sitting-around having a couple of quiet bevvies, looking out on the harbour & surrounding hills.

Bribie G said:
Here you go bro'

About five years since I was in Wellie and obviously craft beer has grown enormously since I was there. Personally recommend The Malthouse and Hahigo Zake that's down an alley then down some stairs - an excellent drinking experience, like descending down the stairs in a 1930s movie into the underground bar, loved that place and has or had a couple of hand pumps as well.

The advantage of Wellington is that the CBD is ultra compact compared to many Australian capitals so it's a short stagger to everywhere.

edit: Macs brewery at the harbour is only an outlet now, when I was there they had stripped out the brewery and it's all brewed now at Lion. However it's a good lunch venue if you want to sit in the sun at the harbour frontage. I was there in the winter and wearing a T shirt.
Excellent info. Much appreciated. It seems I have a lot of drinking to do. Shame I'm only there for 3 days and got to do some work.

And don't forget the supermarkets for room stocks. There's a "New World" branch just along the foreshore from Macs. If you are from QLD you will have a disturbing attack of cognitive dissonance when you first walk into a NZ supermarket :p

wellington supermarket.jpg

You are in for a treat. Wellington is great for Craft Beer. I'm over there for work once a month, so have enjoyed most of the venues in town.

Brewery wise, head to Garage Project, and Parrot Dog. There is also the Fork and Brewer.

Bar wise, Little Beer Quarter, Hasigo zake, Goldings Free Dive, Malt House, Hop Garden are all worth a visit.

Latest posts

Back