Brewclonematho'scontrol

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavemanbrew

Reaction score
Hello all

Finally got around to putting it all together

All seamed well till the screen display showed wearied text, and the chugger pump shit it's self, not bad for brand new out of the foam box.

Screen was only able to be reset after I disconnected and reconnected main power.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Oh well another delay to pouring a cold beer.

(Kegs legally purchased from scrap metal yard)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Do chugger pumps have a thermal cut off inbuilt?

Just plugged ith unit in again and the pump started up

can you post some pictures of underneath the keg? not that I can help you just interested in your rig!

eresh666 said:
can you post some pictures of underneath the keg? not that I can help you just interested in your rig!

Will do champ tomorrow.

I'm a little discussed in the pump situation at the moment.

Have you adjusted the pot resistor, R5 in the upper left hand corner of the board? It adjusts the contrast and seems to come adjusted all the way down. Just give it a twist with a screwdriver and you'll probably have your display.

xredwood said:
Have you adjusted the pot resistor, R5 in the upper left hand corner of the board? It adjusts the contrast and seems to come adjusted all the way down. Just give it a twist with a screwdriver and you'll probably have your display.
Yes champ,

The LCD just seams to scramble, the contrast is great till, I go to the next stage

The screen scramble has nothing at all to do with what code is running. The problem is 2 fold EMI (electro magnetic interference) and electrical noise (from a motor eg the pump) solutions to these problems have been well documented in the thread above.

MB

MastersBrewery said:
The screen scramble has nothing at all to do with what code is running. The problem is 2 fold EMI (electro magnetic interference) and electrical noise (from a motor eg the pump) solutions to these problems have been well documented in the thread above.

MB
Cheers,

Just got back from shed, and yes the pump lives cut off yesterday but just plugged it in and worked, any ideas as to why it would cut out during the process, the green led is still on and pump not working?

I have screen this scrambling occur in our after-school arduino electronics class.
Just last week actually, a couple of kids had it.

In this case the screen would be stable for a a little while - maybe 10 seconds, maybe a few minutes.
But then it would "run" with rubbish characters.

In all cases it turned out to be power issues, and moving the incoming +5/GND wires from one end of the breadboard to near the LCD pickup solved the problem.

You can also get this is you mess up the 4 data wires, but here it will never be correct, always corrupt.

So check your power, and the soldering joints if the LCD. Maybe a well-placed capacitor would help?

If you're using an SPI driven LCD, well, in that case I dunno.

Cavemanbrew said:
Just got back from shed, and yes the pump lives cut off yesterday but just plugged it in and worked, any ideas as to why it would cut out during the process, the green led is still on and pump not working?
Not sure if it's the cause of your problem but some of the early batch of 240v Chuggers had issues with cut out switches. The Australian distributors of Chugger did a good job resolving this issue so maybe try contacting them (if your confident it's not the controller at fault).

Cheers, will check and try

The unit is matho's from lael, will try to load the new code as well.

Too much time electronic ing and no beer brewing there has to be a happy ending soon.

Camo6 said:
Not sure if it's the cause of your problem but some of the early batch of 240v Chuggers had issues with cut out switches. The Australian distributors of Chugger did a good job resolving this issue so maybe try contacting them (if your confident it's not the controller at fault).
Will do. Thx

Back