Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob58

Reaction score
Fellow brewers
On Christmas eve I put down this
200grms of crystal
2tablespool of black grain about 20or 30 grms Seeped for 20mins
3kg of light liquid malt
500grms of dextrose
used 1kg of light malt in the boil of 6lts
30grms of casade hops 60mins boil
20grms at 20mins
25grms of saaz at 20mins
25grms of saaz at fame out
cooled and mixed the other 2kgs of liquid malt and 500grms of dextrose
used a dry us 05 yeast
It has now being brewing at 16/18 degrees for 8days start gravity was 1050 yesterday it was at 1010 and at 18 degrees it still has a light yeast crust on top
my questions are how much longer should I leave it and if I left it for another week would it still be alright if I keep the temputer down to 16 to 18 degrees before I filter and keg it And let mature in the keg possible a month before I carbonate it
Cheers Bob

The brew will be fine (and even better off) if you leave it on the cake for another week.

+1 to leaving it for another week.

30g of bittering hops seem a little on the light side. What was the AA% of those cascade hops?

+1 to leaving it for another week.

30g of bittering hops seem a little on the light side. What was the AA% of those cascade hops?

AA% of the acsade hops was 4.5-6%
Bob

AA% of the acsade hops was 4.5-6%
Bob

By my calculations you're looking at somwhere between 11 and 15 IBUs with those hop additions, which IMHO is very low for what appears to be a pale ale.

Is there a commercial brew you are trying to copy with this batch?

I get about 25 IBU in Beersmith which seems alot better balanced (assuming it's a 23 litre batch?), still next time I'd try and aim for 30-35. Another +1 on leaving it for another week, and if you can crash chill it for the last 36 hours.

By my calculations you're looking at somwhere between 11 and 15 IBUs with those hop additions, which IMHO is very low for what appears to be a pale ale.

Is there a commercial brew you are trying to copy with this batch?

Not try to copy any commercial beer its not that pale more copper color not that experienced with hops yet just trying difference hops and different quanities to see how it all goes I just hope it is drinkable
Bob

Not try to copy any commercial beer its not that pale more copper color not that experienced with hops yet just trying difference hops and different quanities to see how it all goes I just hope it is drinkable
Bob

Best to clarify the batch size... I've been assuming its 50l.

Do you have anything to estimate the IBUs of different hop additions? Beersmith or spreadsheet etc?

If you want to up the bitterness you can do a small boil of about 2l or so with 200g of LDME for an hour with extra hops... I don't think you're at this point just yet though.

Best to clarify the batch size... I've been assuming its 50l.

Do you have anything to estimate the IBUs of different hop additions? Beersmith or spreadsheet etc?

If you want to up the bitterness you can do a small boil of about 2l or so with 200g of LDME for an hour with extra hops... I don't think you're at this point just yet though.

The batch size is 23lts.
I have no way of estimating the ibu's don't have any of the things you mentioned
Iam willing to give anything a go Any help and ideas are all taken on board would hope to improve with every batch
Bob

I get about 25 IBU in Beersmith which seems alot better balanced (assuming it's a 23 litre batch?), still next time I'd try and aim for 30-35. Another +1 on leaving it for another week, and if you can crash chill it for the last 36 hours.

Thanks Next time I will try adding a few more at the start of the boil
Bob

The batch size is 23lts.
I have no way of estimating the ibu's don't have any of the things you mentioned
Iam willing to give anything a go Any help and ideas are all taken on board would hope to improve with every batch
Bob

In that case ignore everything I said.

I read your ingredients and the method as one.... Which doubled fermentables but not the hops :blink:

If you PM me your email address I can send you a spreadsheet I use, you can do a search for IanH spreadsheet, or download beersmith or similar software.

Re: calculations

Beersmith has a free trial and is fairly cheap to buy.

However if you just want something simple to follow for some extract brews I'd recommend ianh's spreadsheet (ianh is a forum user) found here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...anh+spreadsheet

or beerrecipator.org found here: http://hbd.org/recipator/ (spreadsheet will develop recipes etc - just choose metric from the units and save for future reference)

Both are free and straightforward.

US-05 is a brilliant yeast but it does have an annoying habit of hanging around and around and around for a week or so longer with a scummy little head. I would leave it for the extra week. What I normally do, when the hydrometer reads ok, is to transfer the brew off the yeast cake to another smaller fermenter, or a jerrycan, and cold crash it in the fridge for a week, fine it and then keg or bottle.

Edit: if it's nice and clear on kegging, I usually just leave it, in the kegerator, for a few days then it's fine to drink. I'd rather it be in a cube in the fridge clearing out and dropping out all the shyte than have the shyte drop in the keg and get a pint of it on first drawing off. Also far easier to filter when it's almost bright anyway.

US-05 is a brilliant yeast but it does have an annoying habit of hanging around and around and around for a week or so longer with a scummy little head. I would leave it for the extra week. What I normally do, when the hydrometer reads ok, is to transfer the brew off the yeast cake to another smaller fermenter, or a jerrycan, and cold crash it in the fridge for a week, fine it and then keg or bottle.

Edit: if it's nice and clear on kegging, I usually just leave it, in the kegerator, for a few days then it's fine to drink. I'd rather it be in a cube in the fridge clearing out and dropping out all the shyte than have the shyte drop in the keg and get a pint of it on first drawing off. Also far easier to filter when it's almost bright anyway.

Thanks for the advice Bribie the only problem I have no room in the fridge to crash chill it You are right the yeast crust is getting thinner each day I could rack it to another fermenter but would still only be able to keep it cool in the cooler bag that it is in now sitting around 16/18 degrees Thinking of leaving it where it is till next Saturday then run it through the filter to the keg seal and purge it and sit it inthe garage till I want to carabonate it Cool it of coarse before carb then drink I sit them for about a month in the garage before I get around to drinking Got to drink earlier brews
Bob

Another handy tool that I've found is the app that you can get for the iPod touch/ iPhone which can work out your bitterness and bulk prime calculator strike temps and a few other things included it's called brewmath. So far i' found it pretty handy

Back