Fermenting for two weeks is this normal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

everclear8

Reaction score
I started a coopers real ale 2 weeks ago with 500 grms light dry malt and 500 grms of dextrose and added a melba hop bag and safale yeast, i have kept the temp at 16-18 degrees and it is still fermenting.It has slowed but i havent used this yeast before and im sticking within the temps provided on the yeast pack just thought this seemed like a long time what do you think? Thanks

What do ya hydrometer readings tell ya also sad ale us05 or so4 if it's just ya airlock telling you fermentation is still going that's not the purpose of the airlock

It's a bit hard to say without knowing the SG. I've always used S-04 at 18c 'cos it seems to get sluggish below that. After 2 weeks, though, you're pretty much out of danger territory, so I reckon you should bump it up to 20C for a few days to finish it off.

Thanks Mate the OG was 1058 i normally don't take another reading until the airlock hasn't budged for a couple days, i just turned it up to 20 degrees thanks for the advice. I haven't tried the Melba hops before i usually add galaxy to this brew but it does smell amazing out of the airlock.

michaeld16 said:
What do ya hydrometer readings tell ya also sad ale us05 or so4 if it's just ya airlock telling you fermentation is still going that's not the purpose of the airlock
So4 yeast. The original reading was 1058 i normally wait for the airlock to stop and take a reading again then again the following day if its the same i bottle i am fairly new to brewing so any advice would be much appreciated.Thanks

Keep in mind that bumping up the temp will cause some co2 to come out of solution getting ya airlock bubbling

Also keep in mind dont use an airlock as a fermentation indicator

doon said:
Also keep in mind dont use an airlock as a fermentation indicator
would you take a reading every few days until its stable then bottle? sorry fairly new to this and i was told that the airlock was a good indicator for the fermentation ending or finished.

My usual procedure is leave it for 2 weeks, check the gravity and if it's sitting where I think it should be, I crash chill then keg

Is two weeks normal? Sure... but as others have said, hydrometer reading is the go. Take a reading, then another in a couple of days. If it's the same, then drop it to 12-15°C and a day or two later bottle.

Howdy again, everclear. What everyone here has suggested is absolutely correct and very wise advice. However, if you're a relative newbie, i'll take it upon myself to clarify put a few in context (Of course, if I'm misunderstanding anyone, feel free to correct this and then flame me in that order).

We are much more interested in the current SG and not the OG (unless of course the OG was really whacky to start of with). That gives a much better guide into the approximate amount of fermentables left in the wort; so don't be at all shy about taking reasonably regular measurements until you get a good handle on what to expect. With a bit more experience, you'll be able to approach it like our experienced members above and leave it for a fortnight or so knowing what's going on.

And adr_0 is right in turning down the temp to encourage the yeast to settle out for a clearer beer, but only after fermentation is complete. Some like to do this at different temps eg. 12 to 15, some near 3 or 4C, and some at 0C. The point is you don't want to do this until it has completely fermented out.

But I think doon has, in my eyes for a novice, the most important take home advice. I've been bitten several times by thinking the airlock provides some indication of activity. Don't rely on it! They can get blocked, the grommets can stretch etc etc. Only trust your hydrometer (or refractometer if you really know how to interpret it after fermentation has started) and only look at your airlock as a glorified bung.

Or just patiently wait another week. You cant really go wrong leaving it in primary for a month.
It can have benefits. Some of my best beers were in primary 3 to 5 weeks.
I don't believe there are any benefits to be hasty to bottle or keg.
But there are negatives to bottling too soon. (I have found)

Some traditional ales such as Yorkshire Bitter are fermented at around 17 degrees and in that part of the world the old saying was to give them at least two Sabbaths.

i always ferment 2 weeks, regardless. if it's finished in 6 days, then that gives 8 days of settling and clearing. geographically perhaps fortunate in that it doesn't get cold enough to stop fermenting on a 15-24degree yeast. but even here, can bubble in (or suck inwards) on a coldish night - so airlock not always the benchmark. my production cycle is basically each weekend, ferment one and bottle one, so on 2 fermenters, is a 14 day cycle. can't mess with the production cycle. (plus a 3rd fermenter used only for bulk priming).
2 week cycle is definitely better than 1 week cycle (after careful scientific analysis), for clarity, ease of mind that fermation has finished, and overall enjoyment, but 3 weeks doesn't add a whole lot, if anything to a 2 week cycle. (there are always exceptions to this - just generalising). so if you're workbound, with only weekends to aspire to greatness, don't sweat too much - 2 weeks is a good deal for a brew. they'll always come home with a pretty consistent tasty brew.

oh - and the safales i've used have always been consistent and pretty good. so i don't know that i would look at the yeast as a first up problem. i use saf-04 a lot, and saf33 on and off. never a problem - very reliable. so at this time of year, maybe as above, the airlock will suck inwards as night temperatures drop and then blow out as daytime temps expand. that may well logically make you think that you are still fermenting.

and then people want to jump in and all grain, first up. cheesh. there's a learning thing everytime you brew :p

Latest posts

Back