Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have any experience fermenting US05 at lower temps?

Discussion in 'Yeast' started by Devhay, 20/8/19.

1. Devhay

Posted 20/8/19
    8 Days ago I brewed an SMaSH APA with pale malt and fortnight hops, and dry pitched 1 pack of US05 at 20°c

I've got an STC1000 temp controlling the ferment fridge, which used to live inside and always kept to temp well withing a degree or so of 18°C. Recently due to space issues I've had to move the fridge outside and I noticed the other night when it was cold out that it had dropped down to 14°C.. I've picked up a heat belt today to fix this but hoping it hasn't had too much effect on the beer

Safale state that the ferment temp should be ideally at 18-28°C but I've read on a few other websites that ideal fermentation temperature is 15-22°C and the more cool the fermentation, the more neutral the flavours produced

Its 8 days into ferment and beer has hit its predicted FG already, will give it another 7 days to clear up a bit before kegging..

are there any off flavours to be expected, or would ramping up temp in a certain order with the heat belt prevent any, or should I just RDWHAHB

2. razz

Pro Pro

Posted 21/8/19
    Certainly the latter, RDWHAHB Devhay. I typically use US05 at 15-18 degrees with no issues. It really is a versatile yeast when it comes to temperature. I don’t think the temp drop to 14 degrees will have much of an influence on your beer.

3. splitice

Posted 30/8/19
    I've done 15-16 degree before I realized my temp control wasnt calibrated. No noticed ill effects. 18 degrees does start the fermentation off soon and would be recommended however.