Does anyone have any experience fermenting US05 at lower temps?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devhay

Reaction score
8 Days ago I brewed an SMaSH APA with pale malt and fortnight hops, and dry pitched 1 pack of US05 at 20°c

I've got an STC1000 temp controlling the ferment fridge, which used to live inside and always kept to temp well withing a degree or so of 18°C. Recently due to space issues I've had to move the fridge outside and I noticed the other night when it was cold out that it had dropped down to 14°C.. I've picked up a heat belt today to fix this but hoping it hasn't had too much effect on the beer

Safale state that the ferment temp should be ideally at 18-28°C but I've read on a few other websites that ideal fermentation temperature is 15-22°C and the more cool the fermentation, the more neutral the flavours produced

Its 8 days into ferment and beer has hit its predicted FG already, will give it another 7 days to clear up a bit before kegging..

are there any off flavours to be expected, or would ramping up temp in a certain order with the heat belt prevent any, or should I just RDWHAHB

Certainly the latter, RDWHAHB Devhay. I typically use US05 at 15-18 degrees with no issues. It really is a versatile yeast when it comes to temperature. I don’t think the temp drop to 14 degrees will have much of an influence on your beer.

I've done 15-16 degree before I realized my temp control wasnt calibrated. No noticed ill effects. 18 degrees does start the fermentation off soon and would be recommended however.

Back