Pale Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNU

Reaction score
So I've got some odds and ends to make a pale ale with

1.5kg Briess Golden Light LME
1.5kg Briess Munich LME
1kg Dextrose
300g Light Crystal
US-05
25g Centennial
25g Chinook
38g Cascade
30g Citra
48g Amarillo

So I was thinking something along the lines of the following, but happy to get some suggestions.

Steep 300g of crystal at 67degrees for 30mins in 3L of water. Remove grain and top up to 5L and add some of the liquid malt to get the gravity up to approx. 1040. Bring to the boil for a few minutes and begin the boil

60min - 30g Citra
15min - 25g Centennial
15min - 20g Amarillo

Strain into FV and add both liquid malts and 100g of Dextrose. Top up to 23L and pitch yeast at 22 degrees. Ferment at 18 degrees for 2 weeks.

Dry hop with 38g Cascade

For the hops Id keep the citra for aroma and use the cascade in the middle layer;

Chinook @ 60mins ( 15-20 ibu )

Cascade @ 15mins

Amarillo/Centennial @ 5mins

Dry Hopped with Citra 30g for 5days @ 20c

Good suggestions, I'll punch it through the spreadsheet later today as I Want to be around the 35 IBU

The dextrose amounts to about 30% of fermentables, more if you use bottling sugar. I'd drop the dex, as Yob recommends, or you could go with no more than 300 g for a drier beer. If the IGF comes out too low without the dex, scale the volume back a bit.

Has the original post been edited? Because it only says he's adding 100g of the dextrose to the FV with the rest of the ingredients, not 1kg.

It shows 1kg of dex in the ingredients list but only adding 100g in the process description. Chinook also seems to disappear. I read the list as the potential ingredients on hand

1 kg is way too much, 100g should be fine

Not sure why OP is holding back on some of the liquid malts either but assume thats a pot size issue

+1 to Pratty's hop schedule

Hey guys, I've not edited the post. Was just listing all the ingredients I've got on hand from leftover batches. Not what I was intending on using in the recipe. Wanting to clear out the old stock before buying more.

Only reason I had the dex in the recipe was to bring the alcohol up a little.

I can probably increase the boil size by a couple of litres. Just need to be careful it doesn't boil over and i have sufficient ice to cool it.

As for the hop schedule Pratty, I'll give it a crack. Ibu shouldn't be an issue provided I up the boil

That's the way I read it as well, a list of what was on hand and then a recipe using some of it.

100g dex will probably only give you about 0.2% extra alcohol. I'd probably forgo it and keep it for priming sugar if it was me.

Latest posts

Back