Brew Rig Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What time can we expect the national power grid to go down?

Looks good mate, what is that a 5/03 or 04. Doing a fair bit of work there. Hope all goes well. Are you using spray balls for your CIP? We use these at work on our ferment and yeast systems.

Cheers, it's unfortunately a 5/03 which only has a DH485 and 232 serial port and as I can only program it with the 232 port at the moment i cant have the HMI touch screen connected at the same time which makes it hard to program. I have ordered a usb to DH485 lead to make it easier.
All this would be fixed if I had a 5/05 with Ethernet, but they are very pricey..

I will be using spray balls yeah, still need to manufacture these though.

What time can we expect the national power grid to go down?

I'll make sure I give you time to finish watching dancing with the starz ;)

Fantastic set up. You can't wash that baby by hand. Fully automated CIP the way to go with full rinse and recirc cycles I reckon then sit back and take it easy.

Pays to have a prox on each lid that shuts the spray ball down if opened. Don't want someone taking a peek and getting a face full of it.

Fantastic set up. You can't wash that baby by hand. Fully automated CIP the way to go with full rinse and recirc cycles I reckon then sit back and take it easy.

Pays to have a prox on each lid that shuts the spray ball down if opened. Don't want someone taking a peek and getting a face full of it.

That is a great point on the prox's on the lids, a face full of hot caustic is always best avoided.
As I look at cleaning as one of the most important and also least enjoyable part of brewing it will be automated as much as possible.

Thanks Jonathon that was my first post, was a bit nervous. I've been doing a lot of research the last few weeks to do my first all grain and getting heaps of good ideas for my own set up.

I see your in SW Vic, good dairy country and I reckon you could get your hands on some cheap spray balls easier than they would be to make. Try some of the farm supplies stores like Murray Goulburn Trading and Landmark and go for the small balls with split pin attachments, don't need anything fancy just need to get full coverage for the inside of your tanks.

Keep an eye on run off from the inside of your lids, will make a mess if you can't keep it all in the tanks. Let me know if you need a hand setting up a functional description (FD) for the process. Not much chop with the programming side but got a fair bit of experience in setting up CIP systems.

Thanks Jonathon that was my first post, was a bit nervous. I've been doing a lot of research the last few weeks to do my first all grain and getting heaps of good ideas for my own set up.

I see your in SW Vic, good dairy country and I reckon you could get your hands on some cheap spray balls easier than they would be to make. Try some of the farm supplies stores like Murray Goulburn Trading and Landmark and go for the small balls with split pin attachments, don't need anything fancy just need to get full coverage for the inside of your tanks.

Keep an eye on run off from the inside of your lids, will make a mess if you can't keep it all in the tanks. Let me know if you need a hand setting up a functional description (FD) for the process. Not much chop with the programming side but got a fair bit of experience in setting up CIP systems.

First post Darrenp and it was helpful! , welcome to the forums mate.
There is loads of great information and some very knowledgeable brewers on here, it has been a great resource for my project.
There is a dairy supply shop an hour away in Warrnambool I have been told have all sorts of stainless gear, might be worth a visit.
You make another good point on the lids not sealing, A bit of trial and error is in order.
Thanks for the offer , the CIP side of things is all new to me but its one that I think if i get it right will be the most helpful part of the whole automation process.

Cheers.

Cheers guys,

I think I'm onto some 300L jacketed tanks, we shall see. If anyone is seriously looking for fermenters of this size (300L) let me know.

Also If there are any guys out there who have started a small brewery, I'm interested in hearing about the process and how they went about it.
I have a month off work in august and I'm more than willing to swap this information for some grain shoveling.

Jonathon

Also If there are any guys out there who have started a small brewery, I'm interested in hearing about the process and how they went about it.
I have a month off work in august and I'm more than willing to swap this information for some grain shoveling.

Jonathon

Just bumping as I'm pretty keen to get some hands on.

PM me with some questions you have i should be able to answer them.

Cheers mate, I'm doing a bit of snowboarding this week, should have plenty of questions by next week.

Jonathon,

Did this rig ever come to life?

I assume you no longer frequent the forum but would love to know if you ever ended up making beer and not just gear :p

OR did I miss a different thread that has your brew day pic and results?

Jonathon,

Did this rig ever come to life?

I assume you no longer frequent the forum but would love to know if you ever ended up making beer and not just gear :p

OR did I miss a different thread that has your brew day pic and results?

+1, bump etc...

You reckon Johnno and Bandana Boy have run off together and opened a micro? :unsure:

Hey guys,

Still working away at it, I have a lot of interest in the system from a very wide and varied community of brewers , emails and so on seem to be a better way of interacting with genuinely interested, like minded folk. so keeping track of the threads has not been a priority. I have been in the garden working on hop plantation which I have posted in the 2010 hop plantation thread.

A fermenter deal fell through as the build quality was terrible. Still looking at options.

Cheers.

Jonathon.

PS I don't know where bandananana went.

Back