Brew Rig Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some issues with previous posts - why dose the HLT? Surely just heat the water in the HLT then pump into the MLT and dose the MLT directly.

In terms of dosing, I refer to /// as the guru. Send a PM for proper advise, I wont even try to imitate,

Best firsthand.

I have some issues with previous posts - why dose the HLT? Surely just heat the water in the HLT then pump into the MLT and dose the MLT directly.

In terms of dosing, I refer to /// as the guru. Send a PM for proper advise, I wont even try to imitate,

Best firsthand.

The HLT is used as a buffer tank, heat the CIP water and to mix the cleaner / sanitizer thoroughly. I also want to start there to make sure all pumps and plumbing are cleaned.

I think you will all appreciate this, from the guys at Dogfish Head Brewery.

"There is no more analog beer for the digital age, there is only digital beer now for the digital age"

Gold.. :super:

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think about these as fermenters? I realise they are not but close, be a shame to chop them down, 200L in a 600L tank is really too much head space?

P1060489_675x900.jpg

What do you think about these as fermenters? I realise they are not but close, be a shame to chop them down, 200L in a 600L tank is really too much head space?
Nice and shiny... Is head-space really a problem if it's sanitized?

I know of a few micro's out there with fermenters twice as large as their boil kettle. If they want to fill the fermenter they do two batches of the same beer in a row, but often just do one. With an automated brew rig, multiple batches shouldn't be a problem. Drinking it all might be though... :D

Nice and shiny... Is head-space really a problem if it's sanitized?

I know of a few micro's out there with fermenters twice as large as their boil kettle. If they want to fill the fermenter they do two batches of the same beer in a row, but often just do one. With an automated brew rig, multiple batches shouldn't be a problem. Drinking it all might be though... :D

That's it, would be nicer to have the option of batch brews. As long as it is purged i can't see a problem really?

ive seen people put 5 litre brews in 20l fermentors before, so dont think it would be a problem

My friend just so happened to call me up and his very expensive brake-press had given up and with jobs backing up he was panicking, I got it going and lucky for me he had just got in a sheet of stainless for me, so it cost me squat. This is one example of how I am able to build this cheap. Swapping work/skills is a great way to save coin.

I got him to fold up some of the sheet for a cable tray and the other piece I made a jig to cut out lids for my tanks.

This one is on my kettle, one side will be welded the other hinged, also a steam vent tube will be added.

DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG

Cheers

Bloke I am in awe of your creation ! It has been great to see the journey from inception. Thanks for sharing !!
Cheers
Doug

Cheers Doug,
I like sharing it the build.

None for "free" really, I have swapped electrical work and other items for some parts though. I worked on for 4 hours for that sheet, so at $50 an hour i pretty much bought it anyway.

I got him to fold up some of the sheet for a cable tray and the other piece I made a jig to cut out lids for my tanks.

This one is on my kettle, one side will be welded the other hinged, also a steam vent tube will be added.

Cheers

gday jonathon, like the jig B)

i take it the vent is incorporated into the fixed side of the kettle lid ? what if this doesn't vent/exhaust all the steam from the boil ?

i like the idea of a one piece lid on a spigotted tube welded to the wall of the kettle that can be rotated out of the way when the boil is up and running.

just my 2bobs, nice work

cheers

Dave

gday jonathon, like the jig B)

i take it the vent is incorporated into the fixed side of the kettle lid ? what if this doesn't vent/exhaust all the steam from the boil ?

i like the idea of a one piece lid on a spigotted tube welded to the wall of the kettle that can be rotated out of the way when the boil is up and running.

just my 2bobs, nice work

cheers

Dave

The reason is that the brewery has to be moved into town to get 3 phase power and the building that this is going into has low plaster ceilings and the steam will be plumbed outside with a exhaust fan pulling the steam off the kettle. I can open the front half to assist in flow. For now it's going to be moved into my brothers furniture making workshop, not sure he would appreciate steam through his workshop.

So, it's almost been a month since the last update, and not much has materialized since. But, I have spent a lot of time on the plc side of things, the touch screen interface and PLC program are starting to come together nicely. Spending so much time in front of a PC seems like a waste of time but it has to be done.
I have the lids on the Kettle now.
I have also stared rewiring a 30KW 3phase diesel Genset I was given a few years ago which I figure could run the whole setup nicely.

DSC_0074.JPG
DSC_0075.JPG
DSC_0077.JPG
DSC_0104.JPG
DSC_0264.JPG

Cheers
Jonathon.

So my eyes are aching but I have made a good start on the the PLC program.

For the PLC / programming among us here are some stats so far.

~ 65 variables
~ 8 digital inputs
~ 32 digital outputs
6 analog inputs
1 rs232 serial connection to the HMI screen which contains all of the operator inputs, PID's and gauges

The auto sequence is almost complete and hopefully tomorrow I can slot the PLC back into place and get some liquid flowing. Anything could happen as the brewery has not been connected while the programming has been taking place.

cheers

plc.jpg

Looks good mate, what is that a 5/03 or 04. Doing a fair bit of work there. Hope all goes well. Are you using spray balls for your CIP? We use these at work on our ferment and yeast systems.

Latest posts

Back