Brew Pot Size selection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40L Urn or 50L SS pot is a minimum imo for any 19-23l batches of BIAB or AG, plan for the future & Pay Once Cry Once. Making the jump from extract to BIAB/AG is so easy and fun i can't believe it was ever scary before i tried it, let alone took me so damned long!

BeerNess said:
40L Urn or 50L SS pot is a minimum imo for any 19-23l batches of BIAB or AG, plan for the future & Pay Once Cry Once. Making the jump from extract to BIAB/AG is so easy and fun i can't believe it was ever scary before i tried it, let alone took me so damned long!
Your experience bears out this fact and has been had many many times.

It's a matter of helping our extract and K&K cousins who are avoiding this jump out of fear to realise it isn't that bad. Those who stick with it for time/ease/cost of equipment aren't an issue.

But the amount of K&K/extract brewers that convince other extract/K&K brewers that AG is way too hard - when in fact they aren't speaking from a position of experience blows me away. Experiences like this (and there are many) are more convincing as it shows from a recent K&K/extract brewer that it can be done and it isn't that scary.

Dave70 said:
I could just picture that in my kitchen.

Followed by my wife kicking me in the nuts.
Not allowing men to destroy the kitchen with brewing is a form of emotional abuse. :D

Nick JD said:
Not allowing men to destroy the kitchen with brewing is a form of emotional abuse. :D
I still think the kitchen sink is the cleanest thing in the house, with all the cleaner and starsan that has gone into it it might be cleaner than a hospital!!

Dave70 said:

SWMBO is quite tolerant of my kitchen brewing...a few grumbles in jest especially if she wants to cook, but does like the end result :)

As for the trip-potential, the hoses are only there for chilling otherwise it's just one big pot on the stove.

You can judge a woman on how far she'll let you go in the kitchen.

This is a euphemism-free post, although it doesn't sound that way.

Dave70 said:

Hahaha yep.

Wouldn't the different burners make for really uneven heat on the bottom of the pot as well?

bradmccoy said:
Hahaha yep.
Wouldn't the different burners make for really uneven heat on the bottom of the pot as well?
Not really. Its as uneven as an electric element.

Convection ensures all the wort gets boiled.

Blitzer said:
I found this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-STAINLESS-STEEL-50LTR-BREW-KETTLE-STD-BASE-HLT-MASH-TUN-BOILER-BEER-/251261474514?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item3a8059d6d2&_uhb=1#ht_1554wt_1163 the other day.
50L with ball valve & thermo for would it be good? I'm thinking I may get this as I would have a hard time trying to fit the valve or thermometer myself.. not great with that type of thing
Looks OK on the face of it.
You'd probably pay similar or a bit more if you built one yourself, and you'd have to do the work.
That said, you have to wonder whether the pot is an el-cheapo special, do a search here for "Handy Imports" and you'll see the kind of products that make it into this country.

Latest posts

Back