Brew not bubbling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I said was that if those members were here, they would have given a correct answer.

You're assuming answers provided here are incorrect, based on what? What's your level of brewing experience to make that judgement?

The problem with the mass exodus from this place is that all that information's source (and therefore future useful replies) are gone, and far too many inaccurate opinions are being bandied around by a few vocal members.

But you're basing this off half a months usage on this forum?! I've been here for a year and a half and whilst some have moved on and others of us flip flop between the this site and the 'other forum' I can tell you there are still plenty of members here who have exceptional advice and knowledge to share. If no one here is living up to your expectations then.. leave? If you are going to say people have provided the wrong advice in this thread then call them out and back it up with your knowledge/experience, don't simply throw away their help because they aren't top ranking posters! What an insult to members, we're all here to share and learn, I'm not a fan of mud-slinging either but your inflammatory post really got my back up mostly because it's total BS and a disservice to the forum.

It seems there's an awful lot you don't know.. or can't work out for yourself.
Guy's just relax, we aren't here to take sides we are here to make better beer.
People seem to get triggered very easily these days .

The green reed which bends in the wind is stronger than the mighty oak which breaks in a storm. <Confucius>

People take exception to advice, instead of realising that the advice is for their benefit. Doesn't happen at the 'other forum'.
Cool, well thanks for coming Lord Raja Goomba - I tried to call your bluff at the top of the page but you didn't want to play, good thing pnorkle had your back! I'm not interested in your silly forum wars, I just wanna make good beers and help others..

The consistent lack of good knowledge here and equally consistent supply of poor, now - as compared to the old days is mind boggling.

Where are WarmBeer, BribieG, waggastew and manticle gone? They'd debunk this rubbish in no time....
Actually good help and advice was offered in posts #7 and #9 by two extremely experienced brewers but it was ignored for some reason.

Hey @Leight, apologies for mostly being responsible for derailing your thread!

Back on topic, any updates? What gravity reading did you get today? Did you taste the sample (assuming you took one)?

Leighton, I've only done a handful of brews so far but if it's any help to anyone I've had 2 issues so far that have been similar to your original post. First brew worked fine except fermenter didn't seal properly - so no bubbling. Fixed now by occasionally applying some food grade silicon grease to the rubber seal. Fourth brew was a ginger beer can which didn't ferment. Can was in date but had been stored

Sorry got cut off ....Can was in date but had been stored in a shed at +40 deg for ?months. The yeast failed. I saved the brew by adding US05 on day 4 or 5 which fermented fine. I don't use the yeast that comes with the cans anymore unless I'm sure it's been stored correctly.

As the others have said, hydrometer is your best friend to be able to know for sure what is going on, and I always taste! ...why wouldn't you?

I just used US05 for the first time. Today is day 5 (pitched on Saturday) and I have opened the fridge every night and saw zero bubbling. Just took a reading and it's 1008 down from 1045. This yeast is amazeballs!

Definitely reusing the sludge for the next batch.

I just used US05 for the first time. Today is day 5 (pitched on Saturday) and I have opened the fridge every night and saw zero bubbling. Just took a reading and it's 1008 down from 1045.
I just measured my brew yesterday (which also hasn't bubbled once) - it's gone from 1.050 to 1.013 so far, got just a couple more points to go - this was S04, probably my fav dry yeast so far (I'm sure there are plenty others)! Like I said on page 1, I definitely have a leak, as soon as I open the fridge door I'm hit with the blow off, it just ain't coming through the airlock.

Cant believe we are 2 pages deep into a "My airlock isnt bubbling' thread and not one post sayin 'do a search'! No references to kittens either!
Times have changed.
Seems your question has been answered but just for future reference, there are a couple of other indicators of active fermentation to be aware of-
Krausen is a give away as is condensation on the lid. Using gladwrap instead of a lid is the best way to see both of these happening and you dont need to worry about airlocks.
But gravity is the sure fire indicator and something you should measure fairly regularly to get a good understanding of what your beer and yeast are doing.

Back