Brew not bubbling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leight

Reaction score
Hi all, can anyone give advice on why my brews not bubbling. I’m brewing a black rock colonial lager (which I found out was 12 months out of date when I got home, and because I live in the bush I brewed it anyway) I’ve added coopers brew enhancer 2 and it’s at 21 degrees. Three days in, no bubbles. Can the yeast stop working at the expiry?

Hi all, can anyone give advice on why my brews not bubbling. I’m brewing a black rock colonial lager (which I found out was 12 months out of date when I got home, and because I live in the bush I brewed it anyway) I’ve added coopers brew enhancer 2 and it’s at 21 degrees. Three days in, no bubbles. Can the yeast stop working at the expiry?
Should I add fresh yeast?

I've had brews before that didn't bubble at all, and ones that went off like a firecracker, and one that took 60hrs to begin fermentation. First things are to check your gravity, and make sure your fermenter is sealed tight.

1/ Did you take a reading to start with?
If so check to see if there is a difference in gravity.

2/ do a reading now and check tomorrow.

3/ is there any krausen, if there is it is fermenting and CO2 is escaping.

Hi Leight - as the others have said, you really need to check the SG on this & make a comparison to when it was first put down. If you used the kit yeast that came with a one year old kit, there's no telling how old it is (you don't know how long the kit was sitting on the shelf before you bought it..) so the yeast might be buggered. Lack of bubbles through the air lock doesn't mean it's not fermenting, but could mean that the fermenter is not sealed properly, Co2 escaping from somewhere else (as nvs stated.) If you don't have a hydrometer, I strongly suggest you buy one, you really can't tell what's going on without one.

If no krausen, and SG hasn't changed, if it was me, yeah, I'd throw another *fresh* yeast in there.

Best of luck.

You can see if fermentation is under way, that's why you would open. Glad wrap instead of lid and airlock is useful for that purpose.

Hi Leight - as the others have said, you really need to check the SG on this & make a comparison to when it was first put down. If you used the kit yeast that came with a one year old kit, there's no telling how old it is (you don't know how long the kit was sitting on the shelf before you bought it..) so the yeast might be buggered. Lack of bubbles through the air lock doesn't mean it's not fermenting, but could mean that the fermenter is not sealed properly, Co2 escaping from somewhere else (as nvs stated.) If you don't have a hydrometer, I strongly suggest you buy one, you really can't tell what's going on without one.

If no krausen, and SG hasn't changed, if it was me, yeah, I'd throw another *fresh* yeast in there.

Best of luck.

Can’t find a leak in the fermenter, still no bubbling at the airlock. Sg on day 3 was 1.024, day 4 1.022, day 8 1.016. Is this ok? It’s only my 7th brew, and for the other 6 I didn’t check sg readings, just bottled on the 8th day

Can’t find a leak in the fermenter, still no bubbling at the airlock. Sg on day 3 was 1.024, day 4 1.022, day 8 1.016. Is this ok? It’s only my 7th brew, and for the other 6 I didn’t check sg readings, just bottled on the 8th day
Mate, your numbers are dropping, that's good! Without knowing your recipe, what yeast, your OG and expected FG it's a bit hard to say it's done but.. I'd be inclined to leave it for 10 days at least, check the gravity for the next 2-3 days and see if it stops dropping, I'd say you're close though.

The brew I have on now is the first one where I haven't had any airlock activity but I'm pretty certain it's fermenting fine - I can smell the CO2 in the fermenting fridge (leak!) and the fast ferment I have running in parallel has fermented like a beast. Anyway, good luck!

Mate, your numbers are dropping, that's good! Without knowing your recipe, what yeast, your OG and expected FG it's a bit hard to say it's done but.. I'd be inclined to leave it for 10 days at least, check the gravity for the next 2-3 days and see if it stops dropping, I'd say you're close though.

The brew I have on now is the first one where I haven't had any airlock activity but I'm pretty certain it's fermenting fine - I can smell the CO2 in the fermenting fridge (leak!) and the fast ferment I have running in parallel has fermented like a beast. Anyway, good luck!
Dude - CO2 is odourless...

The consistent lack of good knowledge here and equally consistent supply of poor, now - as compared to the old days is mind boggling.

Where are WarmBeer, BribieG, waggastew and manticle gone? They'd debunk this rubbish in no time....

Sad but true sometimes, if you are not certain of the answer at least google it before posting.

If the gravity is dropping it's fermenting ergo yeast is alive! (or you've got some wild yeast in there that might give you a very interesting result)
No bubbles - the CO2 is escaping somewhere else - don't sweat it!

As pnorkle said CO2 is odorless BUT as the gas escapes it drags the yeasty smell out with it.

Anyway if the gravity is dropping - all good, when it stays constant for a few days - it's done.
Taste the stuff in the hydrometer tube - does it taste like green beer? - great!
If it's like vinegar, sweaty socks or sugar water - well it's time to start again.

As for the old guys - they are mostly still around, but not here.

The reason why your airlock is not bubbling,is your lid is not screwed down tight enough and the Co2 is leaking out through the seal .Don't worry too much about it just let it do its thing and then after a week to ten days check the gravity do this for two to three days in a row if the gravity reading remains the same chill it down for a couple of days and then package it. RDWHAHB .

If I'm looking for help or information, I'm going to look at longer standing members - anyone joining a forum would.

So based on that logic, because you're not even a month old here, you clearly have nothing to offer any of us and your opinions and experience are null and void. No worries, it makes sense now.

Had you even considered that people like myself and others are passing on things we have learnt from those same guys you refer to?

Latest posts

Back