Brew Masters - Sam Caglione's New Discovery Channel Brewing Realit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I managed to get a bit of extra info from its wiki article:
Epsiode 6
"Italian craft breweries are examined. Dogfish Head Brewery opens its newest restaurant: a rooftop brewpub in New York City's Eataly. [NOTE: delays in the opening of the brewpub resulted in the episode remaining incomplete. A 2011 brewpub opening date has been set, and the accompanying episode is estimated to air in the late winter/early spring of 2011.] "

If any Sudneysiders want to try a creation from the show, Platinum Bottleshop on Concord have the DFH/Epic beer Portamarillo in stock. It's the Smoked Porter with Tamarillo fruits added to the mash.

If any Sudneysiders want to try a creation from the show, Platinum Bottleshop on Concord have the DFH/Epic beer Portamarillo in stock. It's the Smoked Porter with Tamarillo fruits added to the mash.

Picked up a couple of bottles today.
Straight into the fridge when I got home and am drinking one now.
At $14.95 for 500ml I think I was expecting too much.
Its a nice smokey porter, but couldnt taste the tamarillo (unlike the feijoa beer I had in NZ 2 weeks ago) which was disappointing as I love tamarillos.
Now I wish that I had spent the 2nd $15 on something else.

I have read that in addition to Brew Masters, that 2 other US Networks are also planning TV series based on craft beer. From memory one is a reality show (it would be funny if one was similar to Master Chef, instead of 40 minutes to cook a meal, it would be 40 days to have your brew bottled & labelled after choosing the grain bill from the cupboard :)

....... oh, and serve together with something you whip up in 40 minutes!

I've heard rumours (brewing network podcast) that Discovery has dropped brewmasters. The 6th episode coming out in June will be the last. Shame.

Yeah I was in Delaware a few weekends ago and caught up with Katrinka and the gang. She seemed to think that the network wasn't that happy with the numbers and wouldn't be making any more. :(

We had lunch at the pub and an evening at the brewery. No interesting new beers, just a few from the show. Got to go in the tree house though which isn't open to the public. Sam was there and said hi but was busy as usual. Still haven't met Florres. Hi lives in colorado and only flies into Delaware once a month!

Here is an anecdote for SWMBO: one of my mates out there is a professional brewer. He brews all every day at a smaller brewery (10 barrel batches). He is also a prolific home brewer - brews at home every sunday. He has more than 30 glass carboys!

He has about 7 stashed away in the attic that will age for up to 2 years - sour beers!

Next time SWMBO complains about your obsession tell her it could be worse.

The Australian premiere of Brew Masters is this Tuesday 26th April on Discovery Channel @ 7:30pm. :icon_chickcheers:

A long time coming, but hopefully worth the wait!

Thanks for the headsup kenlock

I have just set recorder to grab each episode, sound like it worth a watch.

Watched "Bitches Brew" this morning - very entertaining - The dogfish guy was MC at Beervana dinner in Wellington, he's a natural stand up comic. Someone put him up to pretending to stumble over his words and accidentally come out with the phrase "carnal knowledge" at which point the whole audience started going "baaaa baaaa" which confirmed a lot of long held suspicions :unsure:

Upcoming schedule:

foxtel_guide.JPG

This show actually got me started in home brewing. I wasn't aware of all the different options until I saw this, and then I went searching for more info.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one either.

Same here... i kept watching the episodes over and over and it was enough for the mrs to get me a kit.... hobby / obsession.. i dont know... :icon_cheers:

big beer killed brewmasters??? shame either way, bloody good show IMO

http://eater.com/archives/2011/03/31/bourd...of-big-beer.php
Reading that sounds like it was setup to fail (schedule wise) but excelled instead. Being able to pull a million megaswill drinker away from NFL telecasts is a very big threat when you think about it.

Bit like the big boys were going to go shoot fish in a barrel and some snotty little upstart stole the fish.

I watched Beer Wars for the first time the other night. So reading that the show has been gunned down doesn't surprise me. Sam was an obvious choice to base a new show around, he comes off pretty well in the doco.

It's amazing to think that 1 in 2 beers sold in the states is an Anheuser-Busch beer.

Not being one to dl shows, I'm two episodes into Brew Masters. Pretty good show if you ask me. The Bitches Brew one was pretty interesting. While I'm not interested in making Chicha, I am interested in touring South America and drinking it.

hard luck on the dotw this morning.

The supposedly last show of the series was on Tuesday night... certainly finished the episode as if it were the last. Will keep an eye out to see if this was the last show.

I'd have to say the last show was the best of the lot.

Back