Brew-friendly Plumbing Suppliers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seravitae

Reaction score
Hi,

I went into Tradelink the other day to enquire about plumbing parts and was met with what I consider to be some sort of resistance, the person at the counter seemed to be snarling at me or giving me the 'we dont serve your kind' kind of look. Enough for me to not give them my business and walk out. Are there any plumbing suppliers with a large range of fittings that don't treat walk-ins like pieces of shit? I'd really love to get my AG setup up and going soon. :)

Thanks!

Ive never found the trade supply shops very easy to deal with :( Bunnings is your best bet and they generally have 95% of the parts you will need.

Recently I was in an irrigation shop on Moss St Underwood and their range of brass and SS fittings was awesome. I cant remember the addy but it was up the west end on the south side of the street. There was also another one I visited just over on Randall St that had a similar range.. cant remember their name either however it was down a drive way with a lot of yellow sign frontage and also on the south side and west end of the street... great direction hey :p

What are you after in particular?

i half live at underwood so that's kind of cool, I will have to trek around to see if i can find some of those places :)

I'm interested in 3/8" pipe tees caps and tubing 1/2" pipe tees cap tubing, (come to think about it i should have just gone to bunnings!)

and for nonrelated projects i also need 3"x2" reducers, some big threaded caps and threaded tube on the multiple-inch sizes (way bigger than what bunnings has, and just barely what tradelink has) .. for those i think i might have to make friends with a plumber.

had the same experience myself at tradelink in Broome looking for poly pipe to make rod-holders...blank looks and rudeness..Will never go there again. Ever!

And they dont keep everything behind a counter so you can look around and connect bits together to experiment :D

Check out google maps 28 Moss ST, the place with the big ass sign IRRIGATION SHOP and it looks like the other one is down the drive way at 11 Randall St.

... the other one is down the drive way at 11 Randall St.

Is the name a coincidence? Does Dr Smith investigate every beer related street in the refidex? Hmmmm... Probably! :lol:

InCider.

Unfortunatly trade supply places can be short with off the street customers, as , basically they like to deal with account holders who know what they want and buy lots of them...

As a tradie, its always good to get the trade discount on tools and gear... :D

Hi

When I added parts to my AG system I used Prochem pipeline products in Adelaide. Very professional and helped me as the small walk in. All stainless and their range of goodies extensive.

here is the queensland version:

Prochem Pipeline Products Pty Ltd
(07) 3265 271163 Radley St
Virginia QLD 4014

No affiliation etc...

Cheers

Phil

You could always try someone like Enzed. I've bought lots of SS plumbing bits and bobs from them over the years for our factory.

Cheers - Fermented.

Im not sure about the ethics or suitability of listing suppliers, but perhaps we could make a sticky thread or wiki listing homebrew friendly suppliers (and those to avoid) for parts and stuff?

Maybe south of the border they're a bit more friendly here.
Had 2 friendly staff serve me when I was at Tradelink (Dandenong), the only strange looks I got was asking for 3/8 pipe in the plumbing department, but they politely sent me down the other end of the building and all was good.
Recently I visited Fountain Gate Tradelink, and the guy did not have all the items I wanted, so he happily telephoned Cranbourne and Dandenong for me to see if they had them in stock.

Mind you, can't beat the hydraulic factory I visited in Dandenong to get some compression fittings, they didn't take Visa and I had no cash (and it was a fair drive to the ATM), so he gave me my items for nothing more than a promise to drop some HomeBrew in when it was finished!

i half live at underwood so that's kind of cool, I will have to trek around to see if i can find some of those places :)

I'm interested in 3/8" pipe tees caps and tubing 1/2" pipe tees cap tubing, (come to think about it i should have just gone to bunnings!)

and for nonrelated projects i also need 3"x2" reducers, some big threaded caps and threaded tube on the multiple-inch sizes (way bigger than what bunnings has, and just barely what tradelink has) .. for those i think i might have to make friends with a plumber.

1/2" tubing 6mtrs $27 just this week at Bunnings. Its made in China but its still copper.

BYB

Hard to believe you guys having issues with Trade Link, it sounds more like Reece down here. With Trade Link in Tassie and I only speak for Kingston and Hobart they have stools in front of the counter where you can sit, make yourself a coffee gratis, and discuss your needs, problems and whats available to do the job. Also pricing is much better than the Hardware houses who IMO are licensed to print money. I have spent a bit of time and money at Trade Link with irrigation purchases and lately my brewtree project and found them cheerful and most helpful. With Reece if aren't a plumber and don't have an account they treat you like a leper and their pricing is is in the stratosphere. I guess management approach varies from state to state obviously whats been said here some good some bad. I suppose the bottom line is that you go to the place where they treat you well, their prices are right and they are prepared to discuss whats available to suit your requirements and not look down on your ignorance with total disdain then you reward them with your business and keep going back.

Did you bother reading the info I supplied about the best places to get fittings from in YOUR previous thread?

Yes. that was for quick disconnects, not plumbing. TP was awesome and friendly, but dont have copper pipe and copper fittings :)

TP was awesome and friendly, but dont have copper pipe and copper fittings :)

Then there is smaller independent Plumbing supply places that should assist, like Direct on Boundary Rd and another on Beattie near Archerfield Aerport.

Just go into the counter and tell them your not a plumber, so you need help with descriptions. If they are bussy, just wait till the crowd goes and they will assist you. Just describe what you want.

I don't think they have loyalties to tradies, just selling stuff. You should be right!

Cool, i'll give em a try to see if they have the bits I want. :)

P.S bought a MAAP cylinder/torch/flux/silv.solder and copper bits from bunnings today, holy crap i suck at silver soldering.

Back