Brew Day At Vjval1974's (gold Coast) All Welcome.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there guys.

If you wanna go to the palmy hotel, youve all gotta grow a mullet and have a dirty long mustache :super: or the ladies wont even look at you.

Brian, do you have a gas burner or the like. I will have 3 boilers (not the palmy hotel type) :huh: to use on the day.

Zizzle. I will have power there for your electric cooktop.

Ross you have to come down.

Brad

From what I remember the Palmy's the place to take Pat, used to be called the Petrified Forest, full of old roots :lol: :lol:

Just got the hose connections and tent sorted out.
My yeast has arrived for the belgian ale. Anyone know where to get some good Coriander and orange peel? Are there 'good' :D and 'bad' :angry: types for belgian ales?

Some things work out well
I currently house sitting at Benowa Waters.
And have nothing planned for saturday.
May have to come and watch the mayhem.
Cheers, Damien.

Damian,

come over mate, will be good to put all these names to faces on this forum.
do ya all know where I live? dunno whether its on here or not, but Id rather you all give me a ring (PH: 0413 955 125) or Email me on [email protected] for my address etc.

Brad

My yeast has arrived for the belgian ale. Anyone know where to get some good Coriander and orange peel? Are there 'good' :D and 'bad' :angry: types for belgian ales?

Suggest a health food store for herbs & spices. Maybe Mrs Flannery's on the highway in Miami or there is a bulk bin place in Burleigh town (west of hwy). Don't know if there are good and bad types, but in general 'fresh' is good -- doesn't necessarily mean not dried, but if dried shouldn't be old. Herbs & spices do lose flavour from heat & sunlight. Fresh orange peel would probably be great, but it is a bit of work and dried should be fine. Wouldn't think you'd want fresh corriander. You sure it is corriander? Sounds a bit funny. Not cardamon or some other spice, rather than an herb?

Hi All,

If Zizzle or anyone needs anything from Ross, I'm going to go by his place tomorrow PM on my way back from the City. Just order through him and I'll courier it down for you and bring it down to PB on Satruday.

Cheers, Brian

Remember that patch will be sniffing around the palmy hotel most of the day (!!) so we can snavvle his equipment and chuck one on!!

Very true. Brad, you crack me up!

This is my first post for what seems like ages. I banned myself from AHB until I got my tax stuff done...

Brian called me tonight and we are definitely throwing him into AG! And Damien's coming as well - cool!

As for coriander etc, PM Screwtop. I remember him talking about this in detail at Batz's a few weekends ago. He's a great bloke and will answer your question well. He is also nearly as funny as me - seriously!

Pat.

Is MRS FLANNERY....Still at the Labrador Park Shopping Centre....?????????
Where in the Hinterland WILDA........I moved from Worongary 2 yrs ago...
PJ

Is MRS FLANNERY....Still at the Labrador Park Shopping Centre....?????????
Where in the Hinterland WILDA........I moved from Worongary 2 yrs ago...
PJ

Don't know about Labrador. One in Miaimi and another one just put in at Robina (should be open by now -- in the new centre by the Dog & Parrot). I'm in Bonogin. Not many folks seem to know where that is, but if you were in Worongary, you perhaps will... (its actually due west of Burleigh, right behind Tallebudgera Valley, but accessed via Mudgeeraba/Robina)

Mornin'!

Looks like Rossco is joining us as well - cool!

This poses a transport question though which I'm sure we can work out.

I have the van which will take 3 people and equipment - just. Ross and I will be coming from Southport but Damien (Benowa Waters) and Zizzle (Mermaid Beach) both need a lift. Zizzle also has his brew stand but if worse comes to worst maybe it won't be needed on the day???

Anyone got any ideas on the easiest way to give both Damien and Zizzle a lift?

Cheers
Pat

Beers

I can bring a heap of pilsner and an amber ale in keg or bottles. Maybe a heap of bottles would be easier?

Damien mentioned he was going to drive home to get some beer but I can cover for him to save a trip. Maybe if anyone doesn't have anything to bring, they could bring a few mixed top quality commercial examples along?

I can also bring a 65 litres esky. ;)

Ok,
I can get some people picked up basically from anywhere on the coast. Depends on their gear, as I have a falcon sedan.
As for beer, I have a real dilemma. Now dont laugh (thats right) I made a couple of beers last week, but ran out of yeast. I chucked in some belgian ale yeast in a german beer I made and its tasting somewhat interesting. Im not keen on it. The other one is a real shocker. I have learnt one valuable lesson:- No matter what ingredients you use, the yeast can make or break a good beer. It would bring a man to tears.

Anyway, I have only a half a dozen bottles of IPA (this one is nice for us hoppy people).

I have got zizzles power sorted and the tent will be picked up tomorrow. The hose attachments are sorted and also have a pump for the circulation cooler so our neighbours dont have kittens watching the water get wasted.

Its gonna be a huge day. Just mail me with addresses and times and I will sort out lifts.

Patch, If your at the palmy all day, you may be able to jag the courtisy bus home!!!!!!!!!

Brad

Patch, If your at the palmy all day, you may be able to jag the courtisy bus home!!!!!!!!!

Brad, I have some stories about courtesy buses and it's certainly a very good idea.

I should however be able to spend a little time helping the virgin brewers as any business I have to attend to at the Palmy shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. I'm assuming there's some dense shrubbery around the pub???

OK. Down to Business. Brad asked me to do a post on transport and stuff as he is at work. Here it is...

Urgent

Brad, you said you are going to start brewing at 7am. Do you have the grain to do this first brew? If you don't, that means Ross has to get to my place at 6am! This is my 'special time' when I visualise Miss Palm Beach Hotel 2007 and it would therefore be most inconvenient.

Transport

Zizzle: Brad will pick you and your gear up. Ring or PM him.

Damien: I'll pick you up and will let you know what time once I know what time Ross is arriving. No way I'm getting there at 7am though. Palmy's not even open then!

As to how we get home, we can work that out later :rolleyes:

Brewing

Looks like we have 3 virgin brewers so each of these will have to use our gear. I've got Brian on my gear so will co-ordinate directly with him. Will leave Zizzle and Brad to sort the other two out. Big day!

Offerings

What are everyone's offerings? Food (Ross loves sausages) or beer?

Looking forward to it guys. This will be an AHB first in more ways than one.

Top stuff Brad.

Yes I am at work, but snuck away to check whats happening.

Urgent

Yes, I will start my first brew as soon as I wake. The stuff I ordered from ross isnt needed until the next one starts later on.

As for miss Palm Beach Hotel 2007, in your 'special time' you just have to think of a cross between Kath from 'Kath and Kim' and Silvester Stallone - More aussie than aussie with a head like a twitsed gumboot and a massive right hook. :lol: :lol: :lol:

transport

Yeah thats right zizzle, either me or my oldies will pick you up.

brewing

I have two virgin brewers that wanna have a go, I have one three ring burner (to go with the three ring circus that will be on on saturday). I also have 3 (yes 3) boiling pots. All over 30l. so if you dont wanna bring yours, then dont. If anyones got a little fold up table that I can chuck in the ute, it would be useful too. I have one, and probably could scrounge up another.

Offerings

I have a BBQ which fits lots of sausages which i will pick up from the butcher tomorrow. I thought about having a small 'blind' beer tasting session too. Thought maybe getting some specialty beers and printing off some notes on their taste, characteristics and style. Then seeing if we can guess which one they are. This was a good way for me to get my taste senses working on beer tasting. Thing is, they all taste bloody good So, Bring a bottle or two of a non-mainstream commercial beer and we will give it a go.

See yas soon.

BRad

Brad, I have some stories about courtesy buses and it's certainly a very good idea.

I should however be able to spend a little time helping the virgin brewers as any business I have to attend to at the Palmy shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. I'm assuming there's some dense shrubbery around the pub???

OK. Down to Business. Brad asked me to do a post on transport and stuff as he is at work. Here it is...

Urgent

Brad, you said you are going to start brewing at 7am. Do you have the grain to do this first brew? If you don't, that means Ross has to get to my place at 6am! This is my 'special time' when I visualise Miss Palm Beach Hotel 2007 and it would therefore be most inconvenient.

Transport

Zizzle: Brad will pick you and your gear up. Ring or PM him.

Damien: I'll pick you up and will let you know what time once I know what time Ross is arriving. No way I'm getting there at 7am though. Palmy's not even open then!

As to how we get home, we can work that out later :rolleyes:

Brewing

Looks like we have 3 virgin brewers so each of these will have to use our gear. I've got Brian on my gear so will co-ordinate directly with him. Will leave Zizzle and Brad to sort the other two out. Big day!

Offerings

What are everyone's offerings? Food (Ross loves sausages) or beer?

Looking forward to it guys. This will be an AHB first in more ways than one.

Top stuff Brad.

This all makes for fantastic reading. Its starting to turn out to be a P..Up, more than a brewday. :chug: :lol:

Pity i live in South Aus, i'd join in. Im only a Partial Masher, i could learn more about Allgrain, if you guys were sober enough.

Anyway, my sister lives on the Gold Coast. I might have to get her to make sure, you all donr make too much noise. :party:

She will hear us, Im sure Paleman!!!! Its not too late to jump on a plane either mate.

She will hear us, Im sure Paleman!!!! Its not too late to jump on a plane either mate.

I wish !! I wish !!

I'd bring a couple of my partials over with me. Bring the Old Man along ( he lives in Burleigh Heads )........and we could both learn how to brew a Mash.

He'd be harder to convince, he loves his Blue Mountain Lager and Brewbooster.

As we speak, the Mrs is offering to pack my bags. :lol: I think she is in jest !!

Did I hear sister?

Paleman. I am single, 42 years old with a good sense of humour and really good-looking so I have told me. My hobbies are brewing beer from the grain, flying planes and sponsoring high octane sports. I have untold amounts of money and drive a Rolls Royce - well my lackey does the driving.

Just thought I'd offer to have my lackey pick your sister up so she can attend Brad's brew day. PM me her address - quickly - I have a lot on my plate.

Yours seriously,
Pat

Wow! A flurry of activity tonight, but looks like you've all come and gone. At least, doesn't look like you are logged in now.

I can bring a fold up table -- doesn't look like anyone has addressed that need yet.

Will also bring some edibles.

As to drinkables, I have two brews bottled and ready to drink, a pale ale that has plenty of bitter (Ross may disagree) and a pilsner. Not particularly proud of either (especially after sampling Ross'), but happy to bring some to share and would love to get some tasting notes.

Will give you a call tomorrow Brad to get address, etc.

Cheers, Brian

Far out patch, your quick to the mark!!!!! Get in there son.

As far as blue mountain lager goes, paleman, its the nicest kit ive tasted, but i used to make it with a kilo of light liquid malt and 250g of dark liquid malt. Tell your old man that he must make the jump to AG. Come along and see how things are done. he wont look back.

Brian, I love hoppy beers. wait till you taste my IPA. MMMmm. Your right though, ross is the hop freak. Table sounds great. thanks

Back