Brewing destinations from sunshine coast down to sydney.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedFingers

Reaction score
Hey all,
come August this year I will be taking the wife and kids on a road trip.
We will be visiting family in Gladstone, then spending 2 weeks driving back down the coast seeing the sights.

Now, I am looking forward to quality time with my family but would also like to drop in to some craft/micro breweries for lunch or to just pick up a couple of beers to enjoy after a day in the car !

Kids not old enough to sit at the bar unfortunately.

I know of Stone and Wood (don't think they do food) and Murrays which looks awesome for a meal.

I see that many of you blokes live in NSW and QLD, any recommendations ? We will be sticking mostly to the coast.
I have done some looking here and a googlay search, did not find anything truly helpful.

Thanks in advance.

CrookedFingers

Little Brewing in Port Maquarie has some good beers.

Also The Federal Hotel at Belingen has a local micro on tap, Darkwood Ale. Also has one of the best bistro's on the coast. And bello has an awsome old fashioned emporium next to the pub that SWMBO can your wallet into whilst you sit on the pub verandah and drink beer.

Sweet as Ducatiboy stu, thanks.
I will be taking note of all of these.

An old fashioned emporium sounds good for the wife and kids, pints sound good for for me !

Bello is an awsome town. Laid back, mix of hippy, farmer and normal people. The Federal has nice rooms upstairs and the bakery around the corner is the go for breaky...mmmm smoked ham and swiss chees croisants....

Its evrything that Byron isnt....so its much better.

Check out the Sunshine Coast Brewery, good pizza and some really nice beers, the Pilsner, Mild and Rye ESB in particular are worth driving 15 minutes off the highway for.

Potters Brewery at Cessnock (just south of the vineyards); they usually have 8 (or so) of their brews on tap. Always worth the trip - although last time I was there, it was 38C outside, and they were mostly serving high-gravity beers, I found it (IMMHO) a bit "unseasonal".

In Newcastle there's the "Grain Store", a pub with 10? 15? 20? craft beers on tap (just head a block or so up Hunter Street past the train station).

There's two breweries at Port Macquarie - the "Black Duck" and "Little Brewing Company". I enjoyed Black Duck's porter, but have so far been unable to make it either brewery in person.

The "Six String" brewery is at Erina (Central Coast), I've not been there, but it seems fairly popular with the locals.

Oh, and there's a little one in the pub at Morpeth, their maple porter was quite nice last weekend. The brewery name eludes me though.

-kt

If you hit up Bello, also come over to Sawtell and try out Mother's Milk
Really nice cafe that does craft beer and food from local produce, 4 beer taps, 1 cider and 1 ginger beer
It's a little hipster-ish, but the food and beer more than make up for it, they've got a collaboration brew with Black Duck on tap called Mother Duck, it's REALLY good
I'd go check out Black Duck in Port Macquarie as well, I'm pretty sure they have a cellar door set up
if you're heading out west, there is The New England Brewing Co at Uralla, about 15 minutes south of Armidale, their Brown Ale is rather good
Also out that way is Dobson's Brewery at Eastview Estate in Kentucky, I haven't heard much about them but I've convinced the mrs to spend a night at their B&B for our anniversary this year...

Brewbake at the Big Pineapple sunshine coast,plenty for the kids to do as well.

Mr Wibble said:
Potters Brewery at Cessnock (just south of the vineyards); they usually have 8 (or so) of their brews on tap. Always worth the trip - although last time I was there, it was 38C outside, and they were mostly serving high-gravity beers, I found it (IMMHO) a bit "unseasonal".

In Newcastle there's the "Grain Store", a pub with 10? 15? 20? craft beers on tap (just head a block or so up Hunter Street past the train station).

There's two breweries at Port Macquarie - the "Black Duck" and "Little Brewing Company". I enjoyed Black Duck's porter, but have so far been unable to make it either brewery in person.

The "Six String" brewery is at Erina (Central Coast), I've not been there, but it seems fairly popular with the locals.

Oh, and there's a little one in the pub at Morpeth, their maple porter was quite nice last weekend. The brewery name eludes me though.

-kt
There's a new one in Maitland too now, in a pub called the Pourhouse.
And the Hop Factory in Newcastle (focussing on Aussie beer)

Little Brewing in Port Mac is really just for tasting beers for purchase. They are good beers, however, and well worth buying, especially the Abbey range.

Black Duck in Port Mac has nice but limited food available, and multiple taps of good beers. Be aware it's not open every day, so check their website first before calling in.

Awesome guys, thanks.
Sound like I have plenty of places to drag the wife and kids to !

Haha !
That may well be true !
Will be spending a week or so in Noosa and Gladstone beforehand.
Can't afford any more time off work.

Ah well.

Latest posts

Back