1st All-Grain brew day - complete!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sjp770 said:
How long are you fermenting for? Keen to see the results :)
It's gone off like a rocket, I had to add a blow off tube as it was blowing the liquid out of the airlock every 10 minutes! I've never really done a lot of 'primary to secondary' fermentation, so will probably just leave it for 14 days. Dry-hop around day 10 for 4 days.

Nice. My first will be a APA, 2 grain but only citra hops. I was told 15c for 2 weeks, 18c for 1 day, 0c before transferring to keg for force carb.

I've tried to keep mine around 18-19 ... I will increase it by a few degrees towards to end of fermentation to help the yeast wake up and clean up the diacetyl. I wasn't going to worry about cold crashing, but seeings I have it in a fridge I might as well

Sad day ... went to dry hop my first AG brew tonight, and its with a heavy heart I declare this brew infected! Definite mold or some such shit growing on top, it smells funky and tastes even worse. I think I know what I did wrong so will be twice as attentive next brew. Out of home-brew and my first batch of what should have been a wonderful all grain brew going down the sink ... what a shame :(

Sorry to hear that :( what do you think it was?

Hey Viv, hope all is well. Did you have a second crack at a brew yet? My first was a drinkable failure but the second is looking good, fingers crossed, and I'll transfer this arvo.

Crouch said:
Sad day ... went to dry hop my first AG brew tonight, and its with a heavy heart I declare this brew infected! Definite mold or some such shit growing on top, it smells funky and tastes even worse. I think I know what I did wrong so will be twice as attentive next brew. Out of home-brew and my first batch of what should have been a wonderful all grain brew going down the sink ... what a shame :(
That sux mate. Where do you think you went wrong?
I just completed my first AG on the weekend and thinking back there were a couple of things I think I did wrong such as not squeeze the air out of the cube, pitching yeast a bit high, allowing (fairly briefly) some direct sunlight onto the brew (need to change the time of day I brew) etc. More concerned I may have oxidised rather than infected touch wood.

I dropped a SS spoon (on the floor) I used earlier in the brew day ... I brew in my warehouse/workshop and I try to keep the floor clean, but no doubt there would have been dirt, dog hair, and saw dust on that spoon. I thought I didnt need it again so picked it up and put it on the bench without cleaning it ... that was the mistake. later in the brew day I needed a spoon ... and guess which one I grabbed! That can be the only source of infection I can think of, everything else (aside from the completely new AG setup!) was done just as I have been doing for years with k&k and extract brewing.

Brewed again today (a long break!) and this brew day went much smoother ... cleanup was a bitch though, so glad I have those in floor drains! :)

Latest posts

Back