BREW BOY BRAD'S FUND FOR BREWING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit..I just got a job so I am now not elligableness for some sort of hipsterness subsidisted centernink payements

Shiite...my hipster beard is now worth $1.50

My wife is coming home soon....can I take up collection to send her on another trip.

I still have more brews to get done.

Thanks to the sensible people for advice, cheers to the thick people that skip over the fact that I've been applying for work OF ALL KINDS and still am whilst volunteering and doing this crowd funding... I spend most of my time applying and looking for work. As for the fool saying I shouldn't be on here wasting my time while I could be looking for work...well I was while replying to all the nonsense on the thread and reply to the helpful people in private (My time spent on here earlier was a bit over an hour... Then I went out down to NOMAD brewing had some beers with Leo Di Vincenzo of Birra Del Borgo and the rest of the NOMAD crew and discussed work potentials there. Got an appointment on Wednesday. Ringing 4 Pines on Monday about potential funding and work too and that was asked of me by a couple of 4 Pines crew.... If the actual craft brewers that make money out of this wonderful world of beer think I have a great idea then I'll take their kudos over the disrespect I have gained here. Once again thanks to those that are helpful....

Stay tuned, good things for the future.

Keep assuming things about me too, it's just hilarious. ^_^

IMG_20140824_190811.jpg

IMG_20140824_190744.jpg

IMG_20140824_181552.jpg

brewboybrad- Have you handed your resume in/spoke to any LHBS for work? May be a good place to learn and earn some money (assuming it's a decent store with knowledgeable owner/staff).

-Swiss voile is pretty cheap for biab.

-A second hand esky can be got for next to nothing.

-Gumtree is your friend for a free fridge (temp control).

-Op shop/gumtree/ebay/AHB for second hand stock pot.

-2400w element from ebay (or on the stovetop-either gas or electric depending on how big your batch size is)

-Stc1000 from ebay

-Ball valve

-No rinse sanitiser

With these^^^ You can work on your brewing techniques, recipes etc etc.

You can also work on yeast recycling to reduce cost ( and inadvertently sanitation practice)

If you brew smaller batches it will cost less in grain and hops, will chill and ferment quicker, so you can practice/brew more.

As previously stated, delivering pamphlets shouldn't be hard to get a start (as a min starting point). If you've given that a go and been knocked back then there may be larger issues at play that require your immediate attention.

Cleaning jobs? I've a few mates who supplement their musical ambitions/gigs with this type of work and although they work outside 'typical' work hours, it is unskilled work that anyone with some motivation and pride of work will get a start in.

Completely appreciate you're trying to follow what you think is the path to your ideal job, but like others have said the path isn't always straight forward.

Best of luck mate, won't be donating any money (I work three jobs, study at uni full time, have a 16 month old with another due in 3 months, mortgage and am trying to complete my own semi-automated brewery), but hope I've given you some food for thought.

Cheers

Judanero said:
brewboybrad- Have you handed your resume in/spoke to any LHBS for work? May be a good place to learn and earn some money (assuming it's a decent store with knowledgeable owner/staff).

-Swiss voile is pretty cheap for biab.

-A second hand esky can be got for next to nothing.

-Gumtree is your friend for a free fridge (temp control).

-Op shop/gumtree/ebay/AHB for second hand stock pot.

-2400w element from ebay (or on the stovetop-either gas or electric depending on how big your batch size is)

-Stc1000 from ebay

-Ball valve

-No rinse sanitiser

With these^^^ You can work on your brewing techniques, recipes etc etc.

You can also work on yeast recycling to reduce cost ( and inadvertently sanitation practice)

If you brew smaller batches it will cost less in grain and hops, will chill and ferment quicker, so you can practice/brew more.

As previously stated, delivering pamphlets shouldn't be hard to get a start (as a min starting point). If you've given that a go and been knocked back then there may be larger issues at play that require your immediate attention.

Cleaning jobs? I've a few mates who supplement their musical ambitions/gigs with this type of work and although they work outside 'typical' work hours, it is unskilled work that anyone with some motivation and pride of work will get a start in.

Completely appreciate you're trying to follow what you think is the path to your ideal job, but like others have said the path isn't always straight forward.

Best of luck mate, won't be donating any money (I work three jobs, study at uni full time, have a 16 month old with another due in 3 months, mortgage and am trying to complete my own semi-automated brewery), but hope I've given you some food for thought.

Cheers
Cheers for all the advice, I am taking a list of all the useful angles and points people have made so far. Some of which you mentioned I've already been through..But thank you! Greatly appreciated. It doesn't matter what I say people won't seem to understand the amount of effort I am putting in to get money e.g. selling whatever I can, applying for anything and everything, handed resumes at factories and workshops, offered to work for friends..it goes on. But I didn't want to explain a giant list of things that have caused me problems in the past that have led to my difficulty in employment, it was never to be a pity plea.. All I would have liked was a YES or NO.. but the positive advice is brilliant though..that itself is priceless.

I've shown the responses from this thread to other groups I have approached and they were appalled at how people reacted. I had only one negative reaction from one person outside of AHB and that guy looked like he had been drinking metho for years... haha...oh well, out with the bad in with the good. Thanks again for the tips!

Edit : My LHBS is so tiny you can barely fit three people in it. It can only be run by one guy really.

It is very cheap to get into home brewing. A fermenter and a some free bottles. Easy to obtain. Cheap kit from lhbs. And there it is. Cheap beer. Beggars cant be choosers. If you need any advice on brewing then feel free to ask. Many wonderful people here with amazing amounts of knowledge to help you as you learn to brew.Once you get started of course.

brewboybrad said:
I've shown the responses from this thread to other groups I have approached and they were appalled at how people reacted. I had only one negative reaction from one person outside of AHB and that guy looked like he had been drinking metho for years... haha...oh well, out with the bad in with the good. Thanks again for the tips!
You say your new to this "forum" format.. so let me clear something up. Forum are full of scammers in the past so you can't blame any of us for getting our back up from a person who's just entered the forum and haven't put any input in, no real introduction apart from "fund my beer". I can guarantee you there are more than an hand full of people in the same boat as you on AHB who don't just request hand outs. You clearly have the internet and not using a local library due to 2am edits so you can't be that hard up for cash. You wish to learn the art of brewing.. How about reading the forums, asking questions as a 'noobe' and understand what/who we are before you request money to fast track what everyone here loves and researches with love and support.

Say all that, I do love how your attacking your end goal with such force but don't assume crowd funding is going to work with everyone. Also your angle of "pity" isn't a great one, my bullshit meter went off when reading your crowd funding website (forgot what it was) If you want people to back you, you need to show more about being excited and tell the people what you like about the craft beer and brewing scene apart from, I like craft beer and I like the idea of brewing.
Also not sure if you've priced up a pilot brewery but $1,000 will get you pretty much 1 10th of a pilot brewery.

Think you need to learn the process or brewing before you get the bling to go with it... this will hurt business but.. :) its not the equipment that makes a good brewer its understanding what they're doing.. stove top, kits n bits, BIAB to full pilot brewery its all the same.. I've seen people brew on a BBQ with a 20lt pot.. all up you could get this from a thrifty shop..

Coming back to scammers on forums, you're talking to people who home brew for the love and know everything about it.. so 1k for a pilot brewery - bullshit alert 1... joining the forum and asking for money straight off the bat - bullshit alert 2..
so please understand from our point of few before getting your back up about "not giving an Aussie battler" a go when all of us are or know someone in this same situation.

my 2c

Gavin

BrewboyBrad, thanks very much. It may not've been your intention but your determination and willingness to have a crack have caused me to have a fairly significant realisation.

I'm looking toward a career change in the not too distant future. Previously I had dismissed anything even close to working within the craft beer industry as I considered myself ill prepared for such work. Your post and the subsequent thread however, has reaffirmed my strengths. I have a science based degree, I've been brewing on and off for ten years, I've been a member of AHB for years, I'm self funded and I'm involved in a home brew club. Perhaps I will make a few inquiries.

In essence I've realised that backing yourself and doing something is better than over-thinking my shortcomings. Good luck with your endeavour.

manticle said:
Maybe you should kick some puppy dogs mate?
I foster dogs that other people mistreat, no thanks.

The reason I said troll is he didn't respond to the helpful posts...
OK I went a bit OTT, apologies to the OP. Feeling a bit ashamed of my response and wish you all the best...

Edit: to make up for my shitty attitude I'll offer you a beer belly Italian spiral burner and stand for $50 + delivery. Pm me if you are interested. Id donate it but I couldn't deal with swmbo if she found out

And replying to me with a private message saying "Derp. There is incentives." Shows me you have a little disdain for the forum you're asking for help from. Cool, you know some people that are in the industry and they said there are some wankers on here? Oh, you don't like the format but you like it enough to post when you're chasing money? Good on ya, mate.

I used this forum for research before I even considered starting. Learnt what I could and then asked questions on the rest. A forum member invited me over for a brew day and let me keep the wort in the no chill cube! There are people on here who are extremely generous with both their time and money and frankly, it seems like you're trying to take advantage of that. "I hate your forum but give me money so I don't have to get a real job!" Yeah, best of luck to you.

calobes said:
Bad attitudes? You're a random stranger asking for free money over the internet. That aint bad attitudes mate, its common sense
I think that's an example of the attitudes he was expecting.

Don't support the bloke, but don't carry on like a pork chop about him asking for help here.

I'm done with this thread

My best advice would be not to use caps on a thread title.

Brewboybrad what are you going to need $1000 for my brewery cost me about $200 and have made some cracking beers with it all from the help of this forum ( Thanks guys) and with the 8 brews the equipment and the ingredients I don't think I have cracked $1000 yet

[SIZE=medium]Brewboybrad[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It doesn’t look like many people here know you at all, so it was always going to be a tough sell asking for financial help. You’re not the first and I doubt you’ll be the last.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]There are plenty of very helpful responses. Bradsbew being perhaps the most helpful – you’re in breach of a myriad of laws, State and Federal offering alcohol in exchange for donations. The fines are near enough automatic and would run into thousands of dollars. Ignorance of the law is never accepted as an excuse. And then there’s the ATO and you don’t want to have to deal with them even if they’re in a good mood. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]My advice – offer something else in exchange for donations before you end up in a worse position than you’re already in. And do it quick[/SIZE]

StalkingWilbur said:
I think the most disappointing thing is that you asked him where he was and what work he was looking for and that was the only response he ignored.

If he had of been a contributing member then I would've donated even without a reward/compensation/incentive system.

Best of luck to him. I actually love crowd funding projects. I just don't like that he only joined up to ask for money without incentives.
I probably wouldn't have donated still (something rankles about parting with my hard earned) but probably would have offered some grain or hops, which I have in abundance.

It's the first post "give me stuff" thing that set off my bullshit meter.

Don't worry, I have people that will help me, yeah I might have approached things wrong but I am totally new to this whole Crowd Funding thing and forums so obviously ruffled feathers, rang alarm bells and all that. 4 Pines donated $50 to me today and more is coming from others so I'll just go with the flow that is flowing....

As for not contributing anything to the forums I will be in the future and if I get nonsense regarding the past I'll just block you. One way or another I am accomplishing my dream. Sorry I caused you all to have such a meltdown over this. I won't ask for anything here again. other than advice, which I would usually ask my local home brew shop owner or pro brewers I know anyway...so it will be rare I do use the place for help.
As for the bullshit radar, think what you want, I know what's true and not and your disbelief or doubt doesn't change the truth, not that it matters now that I've given up on this thread.

@Donske, if you wanted to donate some grain and hops I would be over the moon! ...but as for how we have spoken to each other I'm not sure you are so keen now and are just teasing with what you 'may' have done.... I dunno.

Sorry once again. See you on another thread.

1 cent per view on AHB (as of 1.27pm, 2304). Round dollar amounts only, I owe you 4 cents.

Hope things work out for you Mr. Sandilands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back