BREW BOY BRAD'S FUND FOR BREWING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brewboybrad - can you give a more thorough explanation of how you're likely to be using the donations? I guess the stumbling block for many is that it's a bit unclear from your page.

Donske said:
This is a wind up right?

On the off chance you're being serious, it's probably a good idea to go through and actually read the forum mate. This is the most reasonable and helpful forum I've been involved in.
YES! I am being serious but as I've already pointed out this is not the only approach I have at the moment. I am looking for work furiously, I am volunteering, I am selling my possessions as well as using GoFundMe a crowd funding tool to help as well....all to get this to work for me! I will be reading the forum but it's a bit difficult to do so when I have all this 'hatemail' coming my way. I'll be contributing quite a bit of beer to my contributors and I'll be contributing a lot to the forum in general but this is my first day here.... gotta feel my way around and first off I thought I'd share my dream with fellow beer lovers and ask for a little support.

brewboybrad said:
So I can't see what all the upset reactions are about. A bunch of misinterpretation is my guess...
Probably your first post on AHB asking for donations did not help. If you hang around here long enough you will see just how generous AHB members are.
One of my first posts here was asking how to make a false bottom for a mash tun, I was then sent a PM by a member who offered to make me one for free, never did take him up on his offer because he was in SA. Anyway long story short is I personally would rather read someone's story and offer my help than be asked to donate but that is me. Good luck with the campaign and I hope you get some work. There is a great amount of info on here that will help you out.

Cheers

I would say my biggest concern with the gofundme account (ignoring my personal opinion of how you've gone about this) is that there is no reward for donations.

Is gofundme different to kickstarter? People have no idea what they'll receive for their donation or where that money is going exactly. You've promised beer, but there's nothing in writing about amounts or how they're going to get it. It seems like you're just asking for money to continue living a life many people would love to, rather than I need x amount of dollars so I can buy y and produce z and give this much for certain levels of donation.

manticle said:
Brewboybrad - can you give a more thorough explanation of how you're likely to be using the donations? I guess the stumbling block for many is that it's a bit unclear from your page.
Well there is a wishlist which tells people of what I need to obtain.

I will be using the money for equipment and ingredients because at the moment I can't get any paid work. I volunteer in a brewery and soon will be in two other breweries but that still doesn't give me any money. I've had offers from friends for a bit of grain here and there and possibly some second hand equipment too. but it is still not all I require.

SO! While I am only living on $70 fortnight for food and public transport fares I find it impossible to get as much brewing experience in as I require as I can't afford equipment. I have the volunteer work which is good, but I also want the equipment at home so I can turn out batches for home brew comps and to get evaluated by David Gumm who has referred some people to the Brewing & Malting Grad. Cert.. With equipment comes practice/experience, with references from brewers/home brew comps/David Gumm (Dave's Home Brew) I should have a great chance to get into Uni. of Ballarat. Luckily if I can get all this sorted I can get funding elsewhere for the Uni. Grad. Cert.

I hope that helps explain things.

Are you:

1. Trying to scrounge money off people on the Internet to fund a hobby?

2. Telling us you cannot get ANY work? I have, literally been there at the start and taken what came my way, if you are at the bottom then don't shirk the work at the bottom. Claw your way up.

3. Seeing as you are getting volunteer work you are capable of work. Do have some incapacity that stops you getting paid work (anywhere, not just a brewery)?

This isn't a handout forum but blokes are sympathetic to someone who tries. Putting your hand out for cash isn't trying. This is not Somalia! Get yourself to a job agency/salvos or something and get yourself WORK. Brewing can come when you have the wherewithal to support it. You DO NOT need an alcohol hobby in your state if that's where you are at.

^ This is what your posts make you look like. Excuse any unintended offence.

practicalfool said:
Are you:

1. Trying to scrounge money off people on the Internet to fund a hobby?

2. Telling us you cannot get ANY work? I have, literally been there at the start and taken what came my way, if you are at the bottom then don't shirk the work at the bottom. Claw your way up.

3. Seeing as you are getting volunteer work you are capable of work. Do have some incapacity that stops you getting paid work (anywhere, not just a brewery)?

This isn't a handout forum but blokes are sympathetic to someone who tries. Putting your hand out for cash isn't trying. This is not Somalia! Get yourself to a job agency/salvos or something and get yourself WORK. Brewing can come when you have the wherewithal to support it. You DO NOT need an alcohol hobby in your state if that's where you are at.

^ This is what your posts make you look like. Excuse any unintended offence.
Whether you believe me or not I am doing all I can all at once! I cared for my Grandmother for years and went through some intense problems with family and being homeless... I have just clawed my way back into existence and am now throwing myself out there for ANYTHING! I am applying for quite a lot of jobs and not getting anywhere except empty promises and maybes or total ignorance. This is not a hobby for me....this is my career path and I am doing absolutely everything to get any help. Everyone can interpret things the way they want but I will get where I am going one way or another..

Plenty of people on this forum dream of being professional brewers or running their own brewery, some have even acheived it. Maybe you should just be appealling to those people, not for money but for a chat to them about how they reached their goals.
Good luck with it, I worked a job I hated for 3 years until I changed career, it let me put a deposit on my house and gave me the security to persue something else.

Bridges said:
Plenty of people on this forum dream of being professional brewers or running their own brewery, some have even acheived it. Maybe you should just be appealling to those people, not for money but for a chat to them about how they reached their goals.
Good luck with it, I worked a job I hated for 3 years until I changed career, it let me put a deposit on my house and gave me the security to persue something else.
I came here on the advice of well established brewers..saying I should post my http://www.gofundme.com/d7gh7g
They said there are some lovely people and there are a bunch of rude ones too.. Seems to be true.

This is not just a dream, this is my life.

Welcome brewboybrad!

And can someone add me to the list, I'm on my phone ATM.

This why I dislike the whole crowd funding thing, I get the kick starter thing where people have a tangible product that they want a hand to turn into a business, with tangible rewards for those that can get it off the ground, but this sort of thing is silly, it's just asking for a hand out.

I'll say it again mate, get a job, hit up some concrete pouring mob, they all have very high employee turnover due to the shit nature of the work and hours but the pays all right. I've been in the situation a few rimes where preferred jobs are scarce but concrete labouring has been a good fall back in tight times.

You're talking about working towards a career, put some effort in, don't expect it to get handed to you. Especially not from strangers.

This is a great idea, money for nothing to "research" brewing..

please add your name to the list below.

1. brewboybrad
2. Rob.p
3.Camo6

Donske said:
This why I dislike the whole crowd funding thing, I get the kick starter thing where people have a tangible product that they want a hand to turn into a business, with tangible rewards for those that can get it off the ground, but this sort of thing is silly, it's just asking for a hand out.

I'll say it again mate, get a job, hit up some concrete pouring mob, they all have very high employee turnover due to the shit nature of the work and hours but the pays all right. I've been in the situation a few rimes where preferred jobs are scarce but concrete labouring has been a good fall back in tight times.

You're talking about working towards a career, put some effort in, don't expect it to get handed to you. Especially not from strangers.
I read everything everyone has to say here about this, how about you read what I say and understand what I am trying to get through to you....

- I am SERIOUSLY LOOKING FOR WORK AND IT IS DEPRESSING ME WITH SO MUCH REJECTION
- I have addressed the matter of there not being any incentive for contributing by saying earlier that I will alter my GoFundMe account so there is
- Then there is all the volunteering I am doing and will be doing, along with education training too... Which one of the more friendlier and attentive members has helped me with already.

Cease talking to me because you do not understand where I am coming from, you are just putting your own negative spin on things and not paying attention what I am really saying.

Brad, you mention you've been brewing at home. What method of brewing (grain or extract) have you doing at home and what equipment do you currently own. There may be some equipment around that is surplus to requirements. It may help get you rolling on the brewing front.

Might be worth throwing up a bit of a resume mate,

How long have you worked at the breweries,
what is your current level of experience
Have you actually brewed before or are you starting completely from scratch
How much do you know about the process?
malts, hops, yeast and so forth.. If you are aiming to become a professional brewer, what is it about the industry that is so attractive for you..

Been here almost 10yrs...no money...just warning points..... :ph34r:

Probably not a good idea to offer beer as the return for money donated. I am not across the relevant laws but I would assume you would need a liquor license to give alcohol in return for money in any form it is received. Probably something you need to research.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back