Brass vs SS

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunney

Reaction score
Hi folks. I need some advice please
I'm in the process of upgrading to a 3V setup using 50l kegs for HLT, kettle and possibly mash tun.
I've purchased BRASS ball valve and fittings because of low price
What are pros and cons of brass vs SS (other than price difference)

Two main drawbacks with brass:

- It's more susceptible to oxidation from aggressive cleaning chemicals
- Contains a very small amount of lead

That said, all the plumbing fittings where drinking water comes from are generally brass. I have brass fittings and they are doing fine. Just don't let them soak too long in strong chemicals.

some people with 3V setups like to use 'clean in place' (CIP), which usually involves running hot cleaning solution (e.g. caustic soda) through their lines and vessels. You can do this easily if it is all SS and Silicone. But if you have brass in there, then you need to be extra careful because caustic soda eats brass and releases the lead.

The small amount of lead in the brass plumbing fittings that run drinking water to your house do not have caustic soda (or any other strong chemical) running through them and so brass is fine for that application.

The problem with brass is not that it won't accept water, it is that it breaks down in wort (acidity). There are methods for preventing/managing this, but this is what makes SS superior.

A vinegar and hydrogen peroxide solution can fix the surface lead that will be drawn off into the beer - http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html

Cheers,
Idzy

Back