Brass garden hose fittings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooper80

Reaction score
Hey Brewers! I'm currently using silicone in my 3v herms system and I just attach them by the barb fitting and hose clamps. The hose clamps are a pain in the arse! I am just wondering if anyone has info on using the brass garden connections to click on and off? Or..... What is the best type of fitting for me to use. Cheers.

crowmanz said:
I would get camlocks or quick connects, as they are stainless steel. Brass garden hose fittings weren't that cheap when I last checked
+1

I went down the brass connector road for about a month and then quickly switched over to camlocks. As mentioned the brass ones weren't cheap either.

definitely cam locks ...

quick connects ..and hot wort ..not my favourite ..after losing a couple of litres

my 2c

unknown said:
+1

I went down the brass connector road for about a month and then quickly switched over to camlocks. As mentioned the brass ones weren't cheap either.
How come u switched to camlocks? Is there problems with wort passing through brass? It's just I work in a hardware store and I can get quite cheap. In saying that I can also order in camlocks too.

malt & barley blues said:
Do you use the thumb screw type hose clamps?
I use thumb tightening clamp. The up side is that the hoses are easy cleaned without any fittings.

micbrew said:
definitely cam locks ...

quick connects ..and hot wort ..not my favourite ..after losing a couple of litres

my 2c
Just curious, how did the QDs make you lose wort where cam locks wouldn't?

is the cam-lock the one with the curved outie and the two levers on the other piece? if so that is what I have and mine are a biatch to clamp on, maybe they wear after a while and get easier/looser/smoother to clamp on? I consider myself to be pretty strong but last time I nearly poohed the ol' rej grundies trying to clamp those bastids

rant over

verysupple said:
Just curious, how did the QDs make you lose wort where cam locks wouldn't?
QD's can get quite hot... so do cam locks, but the cams have long arms so you can handle w/o gloves.

(ohshit moment, mick?)

droid said:
is the cam-lock the one with the curved outie and the two levers on the other piece? if so that is what I have and mine are a biatch to clamp on, maybe they wear after a while and get easier/looser/smoother to clamp on? I consider myself to be pretty strong but last time I nearly poohed the ol' rej grundies trying to clamp those bastids

rant over
They shouldn't be hard to work together... the only time I've had an issue was when I mixed suppliers. If you got them from the same place, take'm back and complain.

hooper80 said:
How come u switched to camlocks? Is there problems with wort passing through brass? It's just I work in a hardware store and I can get quite cheap. In saying that I can also order in camlocks too.
I was building a rims and decided the camlocks were the neatest way forward to fit the various male/female connections my system had. Doing it with the brass connectors meant using a variety of extra adapters to get the hose connectors to fit. I think I also wanted full flow barbs to recirculate through.

It's an individual choice though and the brass will work fine, and I must confess I just like having everything stainless wherever I can.

QD's can get quite hot... so do cam locks, but the cams have long arms so you can handle w/o gloves.

(ohshit moment, mick?)

They shouldn't be hard to work together... the only time I've had an issue was when I mixed suppliers. If you got them from the same place, take'm back and complain.
ah thankyou squire! ... well that might explain it ~ there are two rogue outies in the camp

Thanks Hooper and thanks to everyone who has replied.

The past few weeks I've been pondering new SS connectors for several brewery hoses, and until now have never even heard of camlocks. In fact, even had to search youtube to find out how they work. It also looks as though stepless clamps might be the way to secure them (and never used those before either). The price looks not too bad considering I'll be replacing brass hose fittings and brass hose connectors too.

Thanks again, guys, and cheers.

You might want to consider tri clover fittings. I haven't had any personal experience but I hear they're the ducks nuts. Pricey, but apparently well worth it if you can afford it.

Do your research, apparently brass can deteriorate and leech nasties with certain cleaning products....

bjbear said:
Do your research, apparently brass can deteriorate and leech nasties with certain cleaning products....
Yeah I have heard this! Cheers

Barge said:
You might want to consider tri clover fittings. I haven't had any personal experience but I hear they're the ducks nuts. Pricey, but apparently well worth it if you can afford it.
G'day Barge

I may have entirely misunderstood the Hoopman's thread starter, but I thought he was referring to connecting hoses from his HERMS setup to and from the mash tun for liquid recirculation. Given the price of sanitary fittings (like triclovers), my guess is they would be overkill. Especially considering the wort is still to be boiled.

But I have to admit the sound of less costly SS fittings is very attractive. In my case, I'm looking for fittings from the standard cold water tap to a copper chiller coil in an esky full of ice & water to a silicon hose to a copper chiller coil in the kettle (post-boil) etc. This wasn't clarified (sorry 'bout that). Yet as I say, I could have totally misinterpreted the OP.

Cheers mate.

No worries at all. I should clarify that I have no experience with HERMS or Tri Clover fittings, so I was speaking completely out of turn. I've just read/heard that they are easy and reliable but expensive.

Like I said, no idea if they would even be applicable in this context but thought I would mention it in case the OP hadn't heard of it and would regret it later.

Cheers

I just use silicon on barb with no clamp. I am probably just lucky.

Out of interest, Eaglebeagle, is that under much pressure without a clamp? It'd just be my luck any pressure would blow the hose off the barb! :beerbang:

Back