Brass Connectors And Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickledkiwi2

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have a mate who is machining down some fittings for me to adapt a tooheys style keg coupler to fit ball lock fittings.
He knocked up a couple of mock fittings out of brass just to get his eye in before attempting it on the stainless steel.
My question is: Is there any reason why I cant just use the brass fittings instead of going to the trouble of cutting the stainless??
Thanks for any comments.
PK

According to John Palmer use a 5% distilled vinigar solution with a 3% hydrogen Peroxide solution 2:1 to remove surface lead from brass fittings

Pumpy :)

According to John Palmer use a 5% distilled vinigar solution with a 3% hydrogen Peroxide solution 2:1 to remove surface lead from brass fittings

Thanks Pumpy,
and after that there should be no continuing problem, IE the one clean is enough????

.Cheers
PK :beer:

Thanks Pumpy,
and after that there should be no continuing problem, IE the one clean is enough????

.Cheers
PK :beer:

yes according to Palmer he is a metalurgist ,

I minimise the amount of brass in my brewery but I still have some brass quickconnects its not as if they are in the boil they are just in the transfer connections

Palmer says that the colour of the brass should turn a buttery yellow gold when the process is finished if the solution turns blue green and or the parts start darkening the peroxide is used up and the copper is dissolving which will expose more lead ( quote John J Palmer, How to Brew 2000)

if your not paying for the stainless go for it over the brass , as much as you can de-lead the surface brass is still not a food grade rated material, if cost is a factor use the brass and the above cleaning method ... personally i wouldnt use it in an end product situation, for that matter i wouldnt use it for anything after my mash tun which incident has a s/s ball valve anyway

pickledkiwi2,

Only soak for five minutes

pumpy :)

oh crap i've just read this. i've been using s/s ball valves but brass piping and spigots, not because of cost theyre just easier to source.

is this really that bad? :blink:

pickledkiwi2,

Only soak for five minutes

pumpy :)
Cheers,
Thanks for the advice, it will only be used on the final beer to get it out of the keg and on its way to the tap.
Thanks again Guys.
PK :party:

Back