Brand new Intertap beer tap leaking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scooterism said:
Maybe a quick video will help?
What do you mean? I don't think there's anything to see. Unless you want a video of me changing a washer... :unsure:

In summary, the thicker washers certainly help, but I'm not ready to declare a proper fix after testing only one tap and only 24 hours (or about three or four beers) later. If all three taps continue to work as well as the one where I just changed the washer and do so without issues keg after keg, then it's fixed. Let's assume that the beer seeping and auto-close not working problems are fixed. If not - I'll report back.

No leaks for me yet...
But I've only had my about 6 weeks and few kegs through it.
Here's hoping mine came with the improved washer setup

Peteru and crew, can anyone declare the new washers a fix now?

Yes, no issues to report after replacing the washer. However, the tap with the replaced washer has not been through a complete disassembly, perc soak, lube and reassembly cycle yet. That's when the original washers started exhibiting problems. I don't expect to see issues, but can't be sure just yet.

My intertaps auto close spring does not work when the bonnet is screwed down till there are no leaks i think thats something im gunna have to live with though, but its been a while since i pulled it apart and it has developed a leak at the same spot with the new washer i will lubericate the bonnet tommorow to fix that issue.

How are you guys going with yours now?

I've put replacement washers on the three FC taps I've got that were leaking - a month later still working fine. I stripped them down and cleaned everything before replacing the washers but haven't blown any kegs since so no further cleaning or strip-downs yet.

The three taps I got from an earlier batch, bought around March or April from memory, have never had any issues.

Mine havent leaked since my last post i just cleaned the beer line and soaked the taps removed the bonnet and screwed it down again i must be doing something wrong guys or something other than the seal is playing up on my tap.

I'm assuming from that post that after cleaning it is leaking (yar?).

Apply lube liberally - if it wasn't leaking before, then there is no reason it should be leaking now. Just dont screw down too hard on the bonnet - make sure the plastic seats for the tap handle are situated correctly, on mine the seat for the top plastic bit does not extend further than 0.5mm past the top of the tap body. The bonnet (and washer) then screws down on that. I leave around 2 to 3 threads remaining with the new washers. All internal components have been lubed.. possibly more than necessary but hay it works yeah? Run thru with hot perc, if it is leaking tighten it up til it doesn't. Then run cold starsan thru and you should be good to go.

I'd suggest that you hop on the phone to Keg King and have a chat. They'll be able to ask you relevant questions and give appropriate advice. So far the thicker washers are holding up OK for me, but I find that the auto-close spring is mostly ineffective. If I tighten the collar such that the auto-close operates OK at the start of the keg, by the time I get to the end of the keg the tap stays stuck open and requires a nudge to close.

Peteru, are you sure you've got the right springs? I (incorrectly) assumed that the springs that came with the kk shanks would work, but the ones for the intertap were actually sold separately. The intertap ones are stiffer and should definitely close your taps.. mine (now) spring back with a resounding thunk.

Yep, they are specifically the auto-close springs for the Intertap, sold as an optional extra. The springs close the tap when the collar is not too tight. The problem is that when the collar is not tight it tends to seep a tiny bit. Not enough to drip, but enough to have a layer of sticky gunk coat the tap around the collar and all the way to the underside. The springs also close fine just after the tap is cleaned, lubricated and assembled. It's only after a number of days of use that they start sticking in the open position. It only takes a gentle nudge to make the tap spring back and auto-close, but just letting go of the handle will no longer do the trick. I might try loosening the collar a little bit when they start sticking and see if the seepage appears. It may just be that it is a very fine balance that requires ongoing adjustment. It's annoying though, I just wish it would work without fiddling.

So, I put on two new kegs on the weekend. Run some perc through the lines and taps. Replaced washers on the two taps that had the original washers with the thicker ones. I only replaced the washers, without disassembling the rest of the tap. Adjusted the tension so that the auto-close would just start to stick, then backed off a tiny bit until it would close. Run some clean water through, hooked up the new kegs and immediately heard hissing from both taps as the air in the lines was escaping. I run about half a glass of beer through each tap and waited about a minute. Both taps were slowly seeping beer. I tightened both taps until the seeping was not obvious and tried pouring more beer. Both taps were still working with auto-close, but without obvious leaks. I'm not sure if the pressure in the taps or the cold taps help, but auto-close seems to work slightly better when the taps are "in-circuit" as opposed to without load.

Checked for seeping the next day. One tap had evidence of slight seepage, the other one seemed fine. I tightened the seeping tap and the auto-close works about 80% of the time. It seems to be sensitive to how I pull on the tap handle. Straight pull seems fine, any slight sideways pressure on the handle causes it to stick.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the Intertaps with new washers are fine, but the auto-close mechanism is fiddly and lets the whole thing down. Maybe stronger springs would help. I think the Intertaps will probably be fine taps, as long as they manage to sort out these early product issues and fine tune their future production runs.

Agree Peteru.. I've now had a couple of slight drip scenarios due to the spring tension thing. I loosened one of my taps recently as the auto-close was sticking and the next day there was definite leakage. Cleaned up and re-lubed and now all good, but a bit miffed that I had to clean it before the keg blew.

As stated here Keg King reckons the supplied spring is sufficient... I think we can now believe otherwise. I'd happily go stiffer springs.

A note on the shuttles - I found with mine they certainly had a "good" side - for your 80% tap, try inverting the shuttle (and/or inspecting for rough edges or swarf).

mofox1 said:
As stated here Keg King reckons the supplied spring is sufficient... I think we can now believe otherwise. I'd happily go stiffer springs.
+1. Perhaps there is a difference between manufacturing batches and prototypes, but those springs just don't do the job without leaks.

I too would prefer a set of stiffer springs.

mofox1 said:
A note on the shuttles - I found with mine they certainly had a "good" side - for your 80% tap, try inverting the shuttle (and/or inspecting for rough edges or swarf).
I'll take another look. On one of the taps, I ended up using some 1,000 grit wet and dry to polish off some of the rough edges on the tap shaft. The other two, I left alone. I'm not sure if the problematic tap is the one I cleaned up or one of the ones I left untouched. I'll have to check next time I have them all out. You can only tell when they are side by side. I did notice that the shuttles definitely feel different depending on the orientation. A similar thing goes for the shaft, it too has a slightly different feel depending on the installation direction. I think the problematic tap has a shuttle that never seems to align perfectly parallel with the tap body.

Next time I change kegs, I'll pay close attention to the orientation of the parts and see if there is an optimal combination. However, it shouldn't be that hard.

I have just changed mine over to new washers. I ordered them sometime back when i saw you guys talking about this. However, i have to tighten them well to not have leaks or hiss release etc from the suspect area - when i do this the springs are not strong enough to do their job. I agree on the grinding, which is like metal on metal sound - certainly nothing like my other micromatic type taps which are nice to use.

After all this i am not happy with these taps despite KK being responsive. There are other aspects of this tap too which frustrate me and support the view i have, but probably not worth raising as i will be changing them.

I will be contacting KK about sending them back after giving it a good go. They should not be selling these in my mind, they are low quality engineering in my view.

I do believe they have put out an updated version recently. Maybe you could get your taps replaced with the newer version. That is unless you have the latest one.

I bought my fc tap at the beginning of this year but opted to not go for the auto close spring. Would of poured over 60 beers through it now and not one problem. Happy with mine and think they are good value for money.

You can't get autoclose on the flow control models. They are constructed differently.

So I read through this thread as one of my PC Intertaps gen 2 that I've had for few months has not been auto closing. I like most here with the problem have to wind down the collar so that it doesn't leak and this stops the leak from the bonnet and stops the auto close from working as well.

It has driven me nuts. New keg was about to be connected last night so cleaned the beer line and pulled the tap apart to fix it. 3 hours later mixing different washes and new seal kits with no luck. Put everything back the way it was and resolved to not having the auto close spring working. What to do.

After reading this thread last night looking for answers I realised how everyone mentioned the spring not being strong enough.

So woke this morning ready to take the tap off and back to Keg King and thought to myslef "just stretch the spring and see what happens".

Problem solved.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else out there is having these issues.

Latest posts

Back