Brand new Intertap beer tap leaking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gurglebeers

Reaction score
Hello,

I recived my new intertap about a week ago and it is leaking a bit out the top where the lever enters the faucet i think they call it the bonnet or crown. i dont know wheather or not i should put lube on the seals and parts but i removed the bonnet/crown and re seated and it still leaks

the problem is if i do it up tight the auto close spring doesent work properly and there is still a pool of liquid up near the lever it refils if i try to soak it up with paper towel,
if i unscrew till the auto close spring works fine there is a constant drip every 10 seconds from the bonnet/cown

this is causing me alot of distress i purchased this tap because my old one used to leak! :(

thank you

here is a picture

onaaiAn.jpg

I know that type of annoyance mate. Don't worry, it will be sorted.

Firstly, take notes, when did the leak start; what was the dispensing pressure; had it ever not leaked; details.

Contact your supplier and start a friendly dialogue.

I remember finding a post and a couple of his videos about the leak. Will try and dig up when I'm in the office.

Did you only have only the one tap?

gurglebeers, I tracked this down from a video

In section below, the solid circles are the o-rings I believe. I'd inspect the top, horizontal o-ring that is on the tap handle. She would need lubrication. If it was damaged, find a new one and try it out.

Looks like the only sealing element for fluid rising up to the tap handle mate.

TrcFiH3.png

zorsoc_cosdog said:
We are not addressing his query directly here gents....
no, absolutely correct, he's being given top shelf advice.

Ditch the cheap shit taps you will likely always have trouble with and get quality products that will last you for years of faithful service.

gurglebeers,

Yob's point is fine. But it is completely understood that you'd try the Intertap thinking it is decent. I nearly chose them too. peteru and other clever people have also gone with them. Simply ditching them may not be an option as well. So let's work with what we have first.....At this point it is irrelevant if Andales are better or not.

Let me know how you go with the o-ring investigation. Then a warranty claim.....but I'd caution against taking on this buyer's regret fuel.

Problems have solutions.

Edit: Predicting replies. No I'm not against him succeeding in a refund and turning to Andales....If that is what he wants, if that is possible, if he can afford the coin....
Edit2: What would be nice is someone hunting down some excellent second hand Andales to show us.....

zorsoc_cosdog said:
gurglebeers, I tracked this down from a video

In section below, the solid circles are the o-rings I believe. I'd inspect the top, horizontal o-ring that is on the tap handle. She would need lubrication. If it was damaged, find a new one and try it out.

Looks like the only sealing element for fluid rising up to the tap handle mate.

TrcFiH3.png
They are a carbon copy of a perlick aside from the removable nozzle.

Easy now lads..

I have some SS Intertaps and I love them.

I did however have initial leaks from the same place, and this was simply down to me putting the auto-close spring in the wrong way round.

The spring is cone shaped, in that it has a small end and a large end. Small end should go in the tap, large end in the shank IIRC.

Because the spring was inserted incorrectly, it wasn't pushing back hard enough on the shuttle. This meant I wasn't able to have the auto-spring too tight otherwise it wouldn't spring the handle back, so it leaked.

Can I ask you to try turning the spring around gurglebeers, and you should then find you are able to tighten the auto-spring screw a few more turns- then try re-tightening it all up again and see if you get the same problem?

Another thread had a similar problem, they contacted keg King who sent out different size washers to fit under the handle. Not sure if it solved the problem, buts it's probably worth contacting KK with a pic or video of the problem.

GalBrew said:
They are a carbon copy of a perlick aside from the removable nozzle.
No they are not. The Perlick has the shaft and shuttle connected such that the shuttle travels in an arc. The Intertap has a sliding arrangement where the shuttle is a bit lose and travels linearly. The tiny bit of give in the Intertap allows the shuttle seal to align against the front. I suggest you watch the Intertap video on their site that explains how their design differs.

Having said that, I'm not sure if the manufacturing tolerances of the Intertap are adequate for the design tolerances.

I've got three Intertaps and they all suffer from some degree of grinding that I can't completely sort out. The auto-close springs don't work too well at all. Brand new they were OK, but after a keg or two, they are not strong enough to push the tap closed, when I tighten the top collar to prevent leakage. If I loosen the collar such that the auto-close spring does the job, I get seeping / slow leaks out the top of the tap.

Which reminds me, I'd better shoot Keg King an email and see if they have any suggestions as to what can be done...

I had the exact same problem.... I made a vid and sent it to KK.

This was their reply:

The quickest fix is to replace this washer with a slightly thicker one. I will send out 3 of these to you in an envelope which you will be able to replace the original washers with. To replace it is simply unscrewing the top bonnet, taking out the black washer currently located inside, and fitting it with the new ones I will have sent.

Was a bit of hassle to put the new washer in correctly, but once done it has worked perfectly since!

Thanks for the suggestion @ChefKing

At this stage, anything is worth a try in case it fixes the problem. However....

I am sceptical if that will help in my case. The grinding action seems to come from either the way the shuttle slides in the tap body or the way the handle shaft moves in the shuttle itself. I get the grinding feel even if the bonnet is not tight. My theory is that the shuttle is too loose in the tap body and because of that it actually twists and seizes a bit. The problem is that one can't see what's going on inside at beer temperatures. What you observe when the tap is disassembled being handled at room temperature could be different due to thermal expansion of the metal.

I suspect that a thicker washer under the bonnet will just make it easier to apply pressure to the plastic olives and squeeze them together to prevent leaks. Doing so will naturally increase friction on the ball part of the shaft, which is what is preventing the spring from performing it's function. I have seen your videos with the leak. I'm not suffering from that problem, for me the symptom is very slow oozing at the top and the auto-close not working. My understanding is that @gurglebeers has exactly the same issue - minus the grinding.

BTW: I've lubricated all moving parts of my taps fairly well with LubriFilm Plus, which is the Keg King recommended lubricant.

I sent a message to Keg King, we'll see what they come back with.

@gurglebeers - if you get a response from Keg King, please come back and share your experiences. Good or bad. If there's a fix, others will want to know about it. If there isn't, then it's important that potential buyers of Intertaps are aware of any issues they may be buying into.

At this stage I'm giving Keg King the benefit of the doubt and we'll see if these are just some teething problems with a new product that they can solve. On the other hand, if it turns out that Intertaps are a fundamentally flawed design, then I feel like I am obliged to inform the community.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
I know that type of annoyance mate. Don't worry, it will be sorted.

Firstly, take notes, when did the leak start; what was the dispensing pressure; had it ever not leaked; details.

Contact your supplier and start a friendly dialogue.

I remember finding a post and a couple of his videos about the leak. Will try and dig up when I'm in the office.

Did you only have only the one tap?
When i first used the tap it leaked above the bonnet but im guessing it was just from being too lose i tightend it up and for 2 days there was no leaks, i woke up that morning to find a small puddle under the tap i dispense at 11 psi

I have contacted the retailer and recived a reply i only purchased the 1 tap
Carlos The Gerbil said:
Easy now lads..

I have some SS Intertaps and I love them.

I did however have initial leaks from the same place, and this was simply down to me putting the auto-close spring in the wrong way round.

The spring is cone shaped, in that it has a small end and a large end. Small end should go in the tap, large end in the shank IIRC.

Because the spring was inserted incorrectly, it wasn't pushing back hard enough on the shuttle. This meant I wasn't able to have the auto-spring too tight otherwise it wouldn't spring the handle back, so it leaked.

Can I ask you to try turning the spring around gurglebeers, and you should then find you are able to tighten the auto-spring screw a few more turns- then try re-tightening it all up again and see if you get the same problem?
My spirings smaller part is up against the shuttle i will try switching it around and see if it makes a difference

ChefKing said:
I had the exact same problem.... I made a vid and sent it to KK.
This was their reply:

The quickest fix is to replace this washer with a slightly thicker one. I will send out 3 of these to you in an envelope which you will be able to replace the original washers with. To replace it is simply unscrewing the top bonnet, taking out the black washer currently located inside, and fitting it with the new ones I will have sent.

Was a bit of hassle to put the new washer in correctly, but once done it has worked perfectly since!
This was like the response i got im hoping my issue is solved so easy
peteru said:
Thanks for the suggestion @ChefKing

At this stage, anything is worth a try in case it fixes the problem. However....

I am sceptical if that will help in my case. The grinding action seems to come from either the way the shuttle slides in the tap body or the way the handle shaft moves in the shuttle itself. I get the grinding feel even if the bonnet is not tight. My theory is that the shuttle is too loose in the tap body and because of that it actually twists and seizes a bit. The problem is that one can't see what's going on inside at beer temperatures. What you observe when the tap is disassembled being handled at room temperature could be different due to thermal expansion of the metal.

I suspect that a thicker washer under the bonnet will just make it easier to apply pressure to the plastic olives and squeeze them together to prevent leaks. Doing so will naturally increase friction on the ball part of the shaft, which is what is preventing the spring from performing it's function. I have seen your videos with the leak. I'm not suffering from that problem, for me the symptom is very slow oozing at the top and the auto-close not working. My understanding is that @gurglebeers has exactly the same issue - minus the grinding.

BTW: I've lubricated all moving parts of my taps fairly well with LubriFilm Plus, which is the Keg King recommended lubricant.
I am hoping this is not the case the auto close spring is my favorite part of these taps i also lubricated my parts but it didnt make a difference only now the pour is not a solid stream im going to remove all the lubricant lubricant and see what differences i get.
peteru said:
I sent a message to Keg King, we'll see what they come back with.

@gurglebeers - if you get a response from Keg King, please come back and share your experiences. Good or bad. If there's a fix, others will want to know about it. If there isn't, then it's important that potential buyers of Intertaps are aware of any issues they may be buying into.

At this stage I'm giving Keg King the benefit of the doubt and we'll see if these are just some teething problems with a new product that they can solve. On the other hand, if it turns out that Intertaps are a fundamentally flawed design, then I feel like I am obliged to inform the community.
I recived a responce about 12 hours after i sent the first email to the retailer

They said this is an easy fix and that i would need to replace the black washer under the bonnet apparently the washer is undersized they asked for my name and address and how many taps i purchased im guessing they are going to send me a new seal/washer.

I had an andale EK swing tap before the intertap it was great but the lock nut seal broke and the sealing cone on the end of the shaft cracked love the tap but it was time for an upgrade im guessing the tap is around 15 years old it was previously used by someone in 2002 for there dispensing and they got it from a bar way before that it only ever had the original seal kit so they lasted a fair while!

Thanks everyone for the help.

I purchased 10 of these with the flow control valve. 2 of them had this problem but to fix it i simply tightened it slightly.

I hope im not causing damage to the internals but it fixed the problem for me.

Also, I replaced my Andale DA's with these and havnt regretted it one bit
Dan.

Latest posts

Back