Brand new Intertap beer tap leaking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased 10 of these with the flow control valve. 2 of them had this problem but to fix it i simply tightened it slightly.

I hope im not causing damage to the internals but it fixed the problem for me.

Also, I replaced my Andale DA's with these and havnt regretted it one bit
Dan.

I've heard back from Keg King and they are aware that one of the first batches of the taps had slightly thinner washers than they should have. This can apparently cause leaking issues for some people, but not all. They will be sending a new set of thicker washers, which they reckon will fix the problems I reported. I guess I'll wait until they get here, install them and see how it goes.

ChefKing has proactively run this gauntlet. I hope his experience translates to you and the OP!

Distress, BE GONE!

I bought my two FC taps about a month ago, they were definitely from a new batch as I had to wait a couple of weeks after ordering for them to come through. I haven't had problems with leaks so it may definitely be an early batch teething issue.

However the first time I pulled them apart to clean, there was a lot of bubbling from the percarbonate, so I'm guessing there may be some manufacturing gunge that it might be good practice to clean and relube before first use.

Definitely clean before use!

I got in contact with keg king, and even though I bought the intertaps from another retailer (one of the great site sponsors, thanks!) they are sending out replacement washers.

You gotta be happy with that service.

Just got an envelope with the seal inside I will post a picture of the difference when i pull it apart might have to pour a few beers before hand just incase.

Well it works before i had no visible thread on the bonnet/crown now there is some avalible, there is no liquid pooling in the bonnet/crown now but only time will tell if this is the fix

New seal on the left seal that come with the intertap on the right

hLN2J3u.jpg

Bonnie&Clydes said:
I purchased 10 of these with the flow control valve. 2 of them had this problem but to fix it i simply tightened it slightly.

I hope im not causing damage to the internals but it fixed the problem for me.

Also, I replaced my Andale DA's with these and havnt regretted it one bit [emoji106]
Dan.
There is still time... ;)

So, you have DAs available?

gurglebeers said:
Just got an envelope with the seal inside I will post a picture of the difference when i pull it apart might have to pour a few beers before hand just incase.

Well it works before i had no visible thread on the bonnet/crown now there is some avalible, there is no liquid pooling in the bonnet/crown now but only time will tell if this is the fix

New seal on the left seal that come with the intertap on the right

hLN2J3u.jpg
Got mine in the mail yesterday too. I could tell through the envelope that they were much thicker. Haven't got round to replacing them yet. Tonight maybes.

Can you guys share the thicknesses of the two washers?

Could be a handy reference.

My washers have just arrived. The dimensions are:

Old washer
Outer diameter 19.5mm
Inner diameter 12.1mm
Thickness 1.9mm

New washer
Outer diameter 19.6mm
Inner diameter 12.3mm
Thickness 2.5mm

I'll install in the next few days and see how it goes.

peteru said:
My washers have just arrived. The dimensions are:

Old washer
Outer diameter 19.5mm
Inner diameter 12.1mm
Thickness 1.9mm

New washer
Outer diameter 19.6mm
Inner diameter 12.3mm
Thickness 2.5mm

I'll install in the next few days and see how it goes.

Thanks for that..

So what's the level of success / failure / progress with these intertaps?

Hope silence equates to happiness.

I was going to install the new washer this weekend, since I was expecting a keg to run out. However, I've been drinking less and busy with other things, so it didn't happen yet. Three's still beer coming out.

I'm happy to hear from others on how their Intertaps responded to the thicker washer.

Hello guys,

So it has been 6 days since i replaced the old seal with the newer thicker seal i was sent, last night i cleaned my beer lines and ran the keg dry with the cleaning solution the beer line was filled with gas there was a hissing coming from the bonnet/crown i unscrewed the bonnet/crown and reseated, hooked on a new keg and there was no leaks so i will call this a success

now there is one though, peteru mentioned in his post that the new washer would cause the auto spring to not work this is the case currently the auto close spring does not work but i will have to loosen it off today and see if it leaks when loosend with the new seal

overall i am happy there are no leaks now

Thank you,

Sorry guys i was meant to say now there still is the problem of the spring not working right
everything is fixed apart from the auto close spring but my problem is solved with the leaky intertap at this moment it might take a couple off weeks of use and cleaning to really get a final answer

By the way, these seals seem to raise the bonnet/crown more than expected when looking at thed two side by side
i am thinking this has something to do with the seal getting deformed when tightening the bonnet/crown
because when i tryed out the old seal this afternoon the bonnet/crown went right down past the treads on the intertap main body
when i removed the seal there was a mark on the seal and it was not square on the center this new seal must also keep the nylon washers in place better

I've had one fc intertap I bought with stout nossel for about 5 weeks now. No issue, pours stout and Irish reds awesome.
Hopefully it has the thicker seal in it. But I've put 2 kegs through with no issues yet. Each week thou I've flushed it with water so it stays clean.

gurglebeers said:
Sorry guys i was meant to say now there still is the problem of the spring not working right
everything is fixed apart from the auto close spring but my problem is solved with the leaky intertap at this moment it might take a couple off weeks of use and cleaning to really get a final answer
Punctuation helps.

So does stretching out the spring next time you break it apart to clean.

I meant to say a week or so ago that I tried stretching the springs and it has had close to no effect for me. It may have made a tiny bit of difference to the push back pressure, but not enough to actually make auto-close work properly.

I suppose I should put the new seals in and see where I end up. Maybe tonight, but first I need to put down a brew - the yeast starter is ready to go...

I changed the washer on one of the taps last night and tightened the bonnet just enough that the auto-close would still work. No sign of leaks or seepage after about 8 hours. There is also less grinding when operating the tap, but it's not perfectly smooth. Not even as smooth as it was when the tap was brand new.

We'll see how it goes in the long term. The thinner washers were also OK for the first keg or two.

peteru said:
I changed the washer on one of the taps last night and tightened the bonnet just enough that the auto-close would still work. No sign of leaks or seepage after about 8 hours. There is also less grinding when operating the tap, but it's not perfectly smooth. Not even as smooth as it was when the tap was brand new.

We'll see how it goes in the long term. The thinner washers were also OK for the first keg or two.

Maybe a quick video will help?

Latest posts

Back