brand new 48L urn for $120 - too good to be true (or good)?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N3MI said:
Put a magnet on it and you will know instantly if its stainless or not.
Not always. There are 3 types of stainless, austenetic, ferritic and martensitic stainless, this is where your grades come into it. The composition of the stainless alloy determines the mechanical properties of the metal. Austenitic is what you are after if you want top corrosion resistance. Martensitic and ferritic stainless does respond to magnesium and you can even non destructively test both types of stainless using magnetic particle testing. Ferritic stainless steel has a much higher proportion of iron in it, and is generally alot cheaper and what the Chinese make many cheaper pots and more than likely this cheap urn out of.

pist said:
Not always. There are 3 types of stainless, austenetic, ferritic and martensitic stainless, this is where your grades come into it. The composition of the stainless alloy determines the mechanical properties of the metal. Austenitic is what you are after if you want top corrosion resistance. Martensitic and ferritic stainless does respond to magnesium and you can even non destructively test both types of stainless using magnetic particle testing. Ferritic stainless steel has a much higher proportion of iron in it, and is generally alot cheaper and what the Chinese make many cheaper pots and more than likely this cheap urn out of.
Understood. If it is magnetic though, there is no chance in hell I would say it's safe to put water in it without expecting rust sooner or later.

EDIT: Just for clarity, there are magnetic grades of stainless that i know of that would be safe for water (duplex comes to mind). But realistically, any grades used I imagine would be 316 and lower.

ok i can now say don't buy this urn it cuts out at 89dg and it is not stainless and mine was dented so beware dont buy
i finally got my money no thanks to the seller paypal save the day
but still fighting to get my return post back will see

It is stainless... as above read about grades of stainless steel.

Either way mine has worked fine for over 18 months and has been going flawlessly in its second owners hands. I upgraded it to be PID controlled and have a basic stainless tap in that time though.

I have a brand new one, still in the box. No dents etc etc. Sunny coast Hinterlands pick up $80.00. PM me if interested.

Batz

I bought one of these units knowing full well that the stainless is not a great quality grade. It has some superficial scratches on the inside, probably not a problem as long as they are cleaned well between uses. Perhaps if I get anal about it, I will clean them down and re-polish.

I am yet to fill and test. I assume the best thing to do if it cuts out is to bypass the cutout switch. I recall somewhere that is what some people do on the good urns anyway.

Fortunately I live quite close to where the guy has his warehouse, I went there in person and picked it up, he also gave me a 12 month guarantee.

Edit. It has a crappy tap, looks like chromed plastic, but common sense says its not, I will change that out.

Mr_Brewer said:
ok i can now say don't buy this urn it cuts out at 89dg and it is not stainless and mine was dented so beware dont buy
i finally got my money no thanks to the seller paypal save the day
but still fighting to get my return post back will see
Any pics of the rust? It's not just light surface rust is it?

mashhammer said:
I bought one of these units knowing full well that the stainless is not a great quality grade. It has some superficial scratches on the inside, probably not a problem as long as they are cleaned well between uses. Perhaps if I get anal about it, I will clean them down and re-polish.

I am yet to fill and test. I assume the best thing to do if it cuts out is to bypass the cutout switch. I recall somewhere that is%

Latest posts

Back