Cheap gumtree urns. dodgy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one I got is the straight stainless, the invert of the tap is 5.5cm off the base, a tick on 6L 'dead' vol, unless you tilt the urn to get the last dregs before trub is mobilised. 44L filled to the brim. You could be right, they might report vol in 'available' not total?

old mike said:
A low false bottom could fix that problem
Cake Rack for the Win :)

This is in a 40x40 50L flat bottomed pot, but I imagine it would be fine in a concealed element urn too

caketray1.jpg

caketray2.jpg

If you can fit a ball valve and attatch to that, a pick up tube that reaches the bottom of the urn, the height of the tap shouldn't be an issue if you position your cube below the bottom of the urn. Once the liquid starts flowing, the only way to stop the siphon would be to turn the tap off.

Can't see a sight tube in the photo.

I like the look of those 60 ltr urns on the brewingisfun retailer on ebay. Be good for double batches of BIAB.

I just received one of those 48lt el cheapo boilers, It does not have a concealed element so I proceeded to make a false bottom from a Pizza tray from Kitchen warehouse and drilled a hole in the side for a thermowell, so far everything OK. Today I filled the urn to the required depth, fitted the sensor and turned the control to boil as I will be controlling the temp with the PID in my control panel. The control panel also has a volt/amp display and it can also be controlled manually instead of using the PID. The ad on Ebay says it is a 2000w element, but my volt/amp meter is showing that it is pulling 12 amps which would indicate that by using ohms law that it is in fact a 2800w element, I wondered why the plug was getting warm when I did not use my controller and plugged it directly into a 10 amp socket.

Got mine today with free dents(not happy). Was intending to insulate(camp mat) so grin and bare it I guess. Pretty thin material and if my measurements are right it wont hold 48 L, internal dimensions give about 43L with 33L above the tap. Easy to add a pick up tube. No concealed element. You get what you pay for but still a cheap HLT.

Please report back guys. Looking to buy an urn myself soon. And the cheaper the better If they do the job.

Mine also arrived with a dent, but I easily pressed out. Did a 25lt mash yesterday which worked out well. Yes they are a bit thin but do the job.

I got mine too and yes it seems pretty thin. I haven't tested it, nor can I compare it to any other urn having never owned one but I think it'll do what I want.

I notice that it has some temperature increments on the dial so it'll be interesting to see how accurate they are.

Also it would be nice if the tap was further away from the temperature control dial.

PS . I set the temp on mine to 70 degrees and I just checked it with a good thermometer and it's reading 76 degrees so it must overshoot a bit.

Any one got any updates on these urns after they have put a few batches through?

Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on these or up my budget to a buffalo urn from nisbets.

I got a second hand one of these from a fellow ahb member. My 2c is that the quality is what you would expect for a cheap urn, and the tap is in the wrong spot (but too high) but it boils just fine. The one I have is a concealed element.

I obviously prefer my crown but I got this one for a hlt.
If you intend to be brewing for a while then I would up the budget. Whenever I consider brew gear now, a little devil/angel whispers in my ear " the poor man pays twice". It doesn't always have to be top shelf stuff but a few extra coins can go a long way to making sure you enjoy your hobby.

Back