• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Brand New 40 Litre Ss Electric Urn $195 - Ebay

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulmershe

Reaction score
I bought one of these the other day, and they are too good to not let fellow AHB know about.

40 litre stainless steel electric urn, with lid, thermostat in degrees C, glass sight glass etc...
40 litre urn from Scenictradersinc

Mine came very well packaged too.
No affiliation, just a happy customer.

40litre_ss_electric_urn.jpg

I bought one of these the other day, and they are too good to not let fellow AHB know about.

40 litre stainless steel electric urn, with lid, thermostat in degrees C, glass sight glass etc...
40 litre urn from Scenictradersinc
Mine came very well packaged too.
No affiliation, just a happy customer.

I've been looking at getting one of these urns too as I currently use a 30L urn as my boiler and its a touch too small, 40L would give me a lot more room to play with.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. Is the tap removeable?
2. How long does it take to get from mash temps to the boil (assuming you use it as a boiler and not HLT)?
3. Does it maintain a rolling boil?
4.Any pics of the inside you could share?

Cheers,
cliffo

I have a Crown urn as my hlt. One of the best purchases I made for the brewery. It makes life so much easier than having to monitor a gas powered hlt. I haven't used this particular brand but can recommend a urn as a hlt.

Cliffo, the obvious use is as a HLT, I'm sure it could provide a rolling boil in the roll as a boiler though!

I've been looking at getting one of these urns too as I currently use a 30L urn as my boiler and its a touch too small, 40L would give me a lot more room to play with.

2. How long does it take to get from mash temps to the boil (assuming you use it as a boiler and not HLT)?

Cheers,
cliffo
I have an urn that looks very similar (I think it is a Birko) except that when I got it did not have a tap so I have made my own pickup tube and used a 3 piece ball valve with a hose barb on the end. If I bought this one then I would probably get rid of that tap anyway, it would just have a nut and washer inside it.

The other difference is that mine has a 3000W element and looking at the website this one is only 2000W I can easily get 40L or near enough to the boil but it depends on how windy it is outside and if you have lid on or off as to how quick it happens. With only 2000W it would just take longer but you could wrap it in a camping mat which would help a lot. When I boil in my carport and it is windy it obviously tales a lot longer than boiling in my shed

I use mine as a HLT and as my boiler for doing 30L batches, my MLT is big enough that I can heat my sparge water in the urn, drain it into the MLT then start filling the urn back up with runoff a bucket at a time.

$195 seems a good price and you can always put a bigger element in if you need it.

Cheers,
cliffo

Cliffo,
The tapand sight glass are removeable.
I have not had a chance to use it yet. SWMBO has had other projects and duties for me to do this festive season :blink: .
I forgot to mention, it is completly seamless on the inside, and unlike my mates birko urn, the element is sealed so it is easier to clean :beerbang: .

Here are some pictures of the inside and the fittings.
Judging by the thermostat, I would expect it can do a rolling boil.

I will try it out tomorrow and let you know how long it takes to get to mash temp and about the rolling boil.

inside_urn.jpg

inside_urn_tap_fittings.jpg

tap.jpg

thermostat.jpg

Cliffo,
The tapand sight glass are removeable.
I have not had a chance to use it yet. SWMBO has had other projects and duties for me to do this festive season :blink: .
I forgot to mention, it is completly seamless on the inside, and unlike my mates birko urn, the element is sealed so it is easier to clean :beerbang: .
Here are some pictures of the inside and the fittings.
Judging by the thermostat, I would expect it can do a rolling boil.

I will try it out tomorrow and let you know how long it takes to get to mash temp and about the rolling boil.

Great stuff Bulmershe.

Thanks for that, it does look like what I'm after.

cliffo

$195 starting bid. Prob go close to $295 depending on how much intrest there is on here.

I reckon the best bet is just go buy one from a chef type place. I bought a 40ltr Crown urn new for $235. I guess it depends if you want to wait and possibly save $20.

$195 starting bid. Prob go close to $295 depending on how much intrest there is on here.

Hi Fents,
You are right. When I got mine, I was fortunate to be the only bidder and picked it up for $190.
Guys, Scenictradersinc appear to advertise these fairly often so I think he must have a few or he has not been selling many :D .

I think the reason there were no other bids when I bought mine is because if somone was searching for one of these they may miss it since it did not say "electric" or "stainless steel urn" in the title of the ebay listing B).

n00ch, I have not come across the ones you have mentioned, they also seem good value. I buy some equipment from a hospitality supplier in Canberra, but last time I was there, they only had 20 litre birko electric urns for $320.

So I reckon these ones on ebay and your 40ltr Crown urn are pretty good value!

Cheers

Bulmershe

Don't get me wrong if you can get one for $190 its a good buy. But if it is going to go up close to $300 I wouldn't bother.

This is the Crown urn and it does everything I need. Tap was easily replaced also.

I have a 40 Litre Crown that I picked up for $285 at a kitchen shop. Makes mashing in a sinch

Cheers JJ

Suppose I get one of these to heat mash water: apart from a timer, does it need any other additions/adjustments? Is the thermostat accurate enough?

Suppose I get one of these to heat mash water: apart from a timer, does it need any other additions/adjustments? Is the thermostat accurate enough?

Mines pretty accurate. Im not that concerned because if I am a little too hot I add some cool water to get to my desired temp. One thing not mentioned is the urn makes step mashing a sinch :p

Cheers, JJ

Back