Braidwood Ale Brewing Project

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine's bubbling away nicely, using WLP023 Burton Ale.

Will need to go check SG today to see how its plodding along.

I've also got a keg coming towards the end which needs to be polished off for room for the ESB.

Just went and took the SG and did the taste test between my two.
Interestingly the one with the German Ale yeast has a lot more flavour and body than the one with the Edinburgh Ale yeast. I expected a difference but not that much.
They both still have a few points to drop, so will rack this weekend.

Beers,
Doc

One of mine plodding away at 20c in the fridge with a platinum series white labs, (cant remember it off hand ) jobby.

Picked up a safale 04 the other day for my other cube (when the first has fermented out ). Will be my first dry yeast in years. Just thought i would give it a whirl after hearing what Scot the brewer had to say about it. Anyway

Cheerz

homebrewworld.com said:
One of mine plodding away at 20c in the fridge with a platinum series white labs, (cant remember it off hand ) jobby.

Picked up a safale 04 the other day for my other cube (when the first has fermented out ). Will be my first dry yeast in years. Just thought i would give it a whirl after hearing what Scot the brewer had to say about it. Anyway

Cheerz
[post="101110"][/post]​

Just don't be tempted to rack it early. that S04 produces lots of diacetyl. Otherwise a good dry yeast.

Ah Ha........
Thanks for the tip Timmy !
Dont want Diacetyl in an Ale do we.

Cheers

I've just put mine in a keg. It was down to 1009, using Wyeast 1968 so I'm guessing it's not going to get much lower.

I'm hoping to have it ready for Sunday :D as we have a bunch of people coming over and stocks are low.

Trev

Scott mentioned about using finings when you add to the kegs although it looked pretty clear to me , I had some finings but never used them it said add hot water which I did smelt like old bones :blink: was not very keen to put that crap into the nice brew which was down to 10 yesterday been fermenting between 15-18C

I let the finings cool down and was just considering putting in again when the finings had gone solid , :lol: God knows what was in it certainly not Sturgeons bladder more like the insides of a steers bones .

Did anyone else use fininings like Scott suggested what sort do you use ?

Hey what makes that nice fruity smell ?

tastes just like when we went to the Riverwood hotel at Balmain ,I know cuz I had a few pints that day . :party:

Pumpy

Pumpy said:
Did anyone else use fininings like Scott suggested what sort do you use ?

Pumpy
[post="101126"][/post]​

I put some Clariferm in my one. It does the same job as finings.
I haven't used the clariferm much before, so we'll see how it goes in this one.

Berp.

Kegged the Braidwood with WLP028 Edinburgh Ale last night.
Had a taste and there is a slight weird taste to it. Almost a soapy taste. Very weird.
The one with WLP029 German Ale yeast has none of that flavour.

Both fermeneters were sanitised at the same time using the same sterilant.
Fermentation temps were identical.
Both yeasts were propogated with the same starter solution.
Will have to see if that flavour is still there after cooling, aging and carbonation. I hope not.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Kegged the Braidwood with WLP028 Edinburgh Ale last night.
Had a taste and there is a slight weird taste to it. Almost a soapy taste. Very weird.
The one with WLP029 German Ale yeast has none of that flavour.

Both fermeneters were sanitised at the same time using the same sterilant.
Fermentation temps were identical.
Both yeasts were propogated with the same starter solution.
Will have to see if that flavour is still there after cooling, aging and carbonation. I hope not.

Beers,
Doc
[post="101846"][/post]​

Same wort Doc.

cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Same wort Doc.

Yep. The two containers were filled directly after each other from the kettle at Braidwood.
Both were cooled together at home at the same temp too.

Beers,
Doc

Scott mentioned about using finings when you add to the kegs although it looked pretty clear to me , I had some finings but never used them it said add hot water which I did smelt like old bones blink.gif was not very keen to put that crap into the nice brew which was down to 10 yesterday been fermenting between 15-18C

I'm fairly sure Scott added what he called 'Copper Finings (Irish Moss?)' to the kettle...

Doc, the following is a quote from Palmer on soapy flavours. Does it make sense:

"Soapy
Soapy flavors can caused by not washing your glass very well, but they can also be produced by the fermentation conditions. If you leave the beer in the primary fermentor for a relatively long period of time after primary fermentation is over ("long" depends on the style and other fermentation factors), soapy flavors can result from the breakdown of fatty acids in the trub. Soap is, by definition, the salt of a fatty acid; so you are literally tasting soap"

cheers
T

I thought my glass was clean, but then it wasn't one of my normal beer drinking glasses.
The other beers I sampled (using the same glass) weren't soapy, so will have to wait until it finishes gassing to know further.
I didn't rack it, and it was only in the fermenter for 11 days so that shouldn't be a problem. I haven't used that yeast before to know if it is a trait. There is nothing on the WhiteLabs website.

Beers,
Doc

I bottled 6 off the brew, and they have developed a 'krausen ring' and have a slight film over the top of the beer. This film breaks up and falls thru the beer when disturbed but the ring wont 'wash' off in the same motion..

I primed these bottles as the brew finished at 1006(using 007, dry eng ale) which wants me to hope its the former. I also didnt rack the beer and combined with the large amount of trub in the cube and fermenter, Im hoping its not an inf... I dont want to say it!!.

I was anal about the bottle cleaning and sanitising, as Ive just had an incident of my own fault, has anyone else in the BABP have this in any of their bottled brew, or is it to do with the yeast(my 1st time with the 007)??

Tried the ESB with Edinburgh yeast tonight (all chilled and carbonated) and I couldn't detect the soapy flavour.
There is a different hop flavour to the beer though that I can't put my finger on.
I racked the other ESB (German Ale yeast) tonight as I don't have a keg ready for it. I could also detect a slight soapy flavour in it, but not as pronounced as the one with Edinburgh yeast.
Weird.

Doc

Thats Ok Linz thanks for the help today ;) just kegged mine I used WLP002 English Ale yeast into the keg , did not need the fininings !!!
it was clear as a bell ,well its has been cc for a couple of weeks now .
It should be carbonated just right for Australia Day , may make a pig of my self .first time in a couple of years I had been without a beerfor two days ,I had to drink Jim Beam and Zero coke sorry lads had to keep the Alchohol levels balanced .

We have not heard much of the other guys from the trip as to how there brew worked out perhaps they drank it all by now .

Pumpy

Hey Pumpy !
On my last pint as the keg just gave me the blaaa' sound, re: the braidwood. ( Its a shame, as it has improved as it has gone ) litteraly ! :p

I used a 'Premium Bitter WL' and at first was very fruity ( to fruity for me ) but as i say has really mellowed well as the keg went along.

I have just kegged my second cube of braidwood, :p but this time used the Saf04. First time i have used a dry yeast in years ( not my last ), will post my results. I am brewing a IPA tomorrow and will use Saf04 as well ( to easy ).

Hope you enjoy ya Australia Day with your keg, and av one for me !!

Cheers mate!

HBW ,

I got two cubes of the Braidwood too , I have never used the Safale 04 but will give it a try next tme as should save some money if it is as good as he recommended .

What Hops do you think he used ?

Mine has a nice fruity flavour and only saw the maris Otter grain go in so must be in his hop schedule .

Pumpy

Back