Bottling Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted some clarification whether I am doing the bottling process right or is there the possibility of stuffing it all up?

1) After drinking beer wash out the bottle with warm water (PET bottles)
2) Let them air dry
3) On bottling day I make up a tub of starsan solution
4) Rinse each bottle with the solution and allow to drip dry
5) Bottle and cap.

Is this enough to clean my bottles? I read the article on bottling but it didn't say anything about starsan and seemed to do a LOT more cleaning and sanitising than what I am able to do.

Just wanted to check

Thanks
Phil

with starsan I tend to just make up about a litre and dole the mix out into 10 bottles or so, give each bottle a shake for good coverage and then pour out the mix for reuse. Let air dry and it is away.

Tends to foam up a bit (surfacant) but this just helps to ensure coverage and contact time. Only need around 30 secs or so with this product.

Cheers,

Brendo

Does the starsan need to be completely dry or can you use bottles and other equipment while they are still wet?

Well after hearing the mantra of the starsan lover (don't fear the foam) I have happily bottled while it was still wet.

That's about what I do. The trick is to rinse out bottles straight away then you can pretty much get away with just a quick sanitise before use. If you leave them to dry with yeasty residue at the bottom, you'll have to clean them a bit more thoroughly (bottle brush etc).

2) Let them air dry
5) Bottle and cap.

That's about what I do here, although I think that I will start soaking them in some form of cleaner such as PBW every few refills.
I just let the Starsan drain out and bottle when ready, I don't worry about letting them dry.

Cheers
Gavo.

+1 for using a detergent on them, you can only sanitise them if they are clean first.

Cheers Mick

i tend just to chuck my dirty bottles in a sink tub and mix napisan in with hot water make sure there all submerged and leave them overnight it even takes the labels off then just rinse before use never had a problem

Hey guys,

Just wanted some clarification whether I am doing the bottling process right or is there the possibility of stuffing it all up?

2) Let them air dry
5) Bottle and cap.

Is this enough to clean my bottles? I read the article on bottling but it didn't say anything about starsan and seemed to do a LOT more cleaning and sanitising than what I am able to do.

Just wanted to check

Thanks
Phil

I used to just do 1, 2 and 5. Never sanitized a bottle with no worries at all.
Cheers
Steve

I used to just do 1, 2 and 5. Never sanitized a bottle with no worries at all.
Cheers
Steve

Same here really hot water t our place. . . .all good (20+brews)

Cheers
Bruce

I give them a rinse in tap water straight after finishing the bottle.
Then pack back into the carton for future reuse.
When ready to bottle, I give them a rinse in sanitiser, then bottle straight away.
Never had a problem.
I have never used PET bottles though
2c.

Slightly off topic - kegging makes it a lot easier! Only had to clean one keg and 7 stubbies last night for my ale, in lieu of the 30 to 60 stubbies/longnecks. So glad I talked SWMBO into letting me go the next step!

I would be kegging right now if I had the space...

living in a 2 bedroom apartment with hardly enough room + brewing AG beer is hard enough

living in a 2 bedroom apartment with hardly enough room + brewing AG beer is hard enough

Fair enuf.

More off topic - Not sure how you are going to manage keeping this month 'dry' when its 41 here today... I am staying inside the office till it cools down slightly! :lol:

And then I am having beers at home!!! (not trying to rub it in though... ;) )

Fair enuf.

More off topic - Not sure how you are going to manage keeping this month 'dry' when its 41 here today... I am staying inside the office till it cools down slightly! :lol:

And then I am having beers at home!!! (not trying to rub it in though... ;) )

I don't work today, and I have an air-con.

Going to be making some slants...

:icon_offtopic: Where would one acquire one of those metal loops for innoculating the slants?

:icon_offtopic: Where would one acquire one of those metal loops for innoculating the slants?

Mike gave a good example of slanting at the case swap last month.

He didnt use an inoculation loop.

PM him, am sure he will be happy to answer all your questions. I recall most of what he did but I did have a few beers under my belt by that time......

EDIT - back on topic, to those who dont sanitise your bottles (and lids) prior to bottling, do you also run across a freeway without looking first? I really dont get why people would go to the effort of making their own beer but not make sure the bottles/kegs are sanitary before filling them up. Russian roulette anyone?

EDIT - back on topic, to those who dont sanitise your bottles (and lids) prior to bottling, do you also run across a freeway without looking first? I really dont get why people would go to the effort of making their own beer but not make sure the bottles/kegs are sanitary before filling them up. Russian roulette anyone?

+1, I certainly make sure I sanitise everything that touches the beer!

If I recall from a previous article on slanting, others have used a straightened paperclip.

I am on leave, reckon I will duck into the pool then kick back and watch a bit of 20 / 20 Cricket later.

I made a loop from some TIG wire.

BYB

Phillip thats no excuse dammit! If I only had a photo to show you my bedroom, with my kegerator and bar fridge tucked right next to my bed as if it was my bedside table, took a bit of convincing SWMBO but if it was mean to be it was mean to be :lol: hahaha Everyone who sees it looks at me in amazement for getting the approval...

...a little back on topic - i've not yet re-used any bottles as i'm building a collection anyway, but for some I have been leaving the sanitizer rescued from a ferment soak and storing some of the (PET) bottles full of sanitizer - any problems with this?

Latest posts

Back