Bottling Hb In Clear Glass Bottles.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Does anyone bottle into clear bottles such as Corona bottles? I know brown glass is more traditional, but any reason why you couldnt bottle into clear glass?

Not that I want to was just curious if anyone does or if theres a reason not to. I was thinking of maybe doing one or two in my next batch just to be able to see when its cleared up etc?

Yeah I've got quite a few clear bottles I still use, I'm phasing them out slowly after learning about light strike etc.
They are handy for seeing your beer as it ages.

To be honest I think the light isn't a problem as I pack them into the original carton and the go straight from that to the fridge when it's time to drink.

I use corona bottles all the time for my 'lawnmower beer' Conditioned in a dark cupboard, straight into a dark fridge, no light-no problems.

Yes, I'll often use a clear bottle or two when bottling comp beers, not so much for their appearance but to see how the beer clears up.

Yes, I'll often use a clear bottle or two when bottling comp beers, not so much for their appearance but to see how the beer clears up.
Sounds good. Think I'll do the same. Cheers.

Look in to light-strike and skunking if the posts above haven't already inspired you to, Truman. The gist is UV light reacts with hops oils or somesuch - not good. I understand it is less of an issue if your process (or kit manufacturer's process) doesn't involve hop flowers/pellets.
so

many

questions
so

few

answers

Ah. This is a forum isn't it? To ask questions and gain knowledge?
Or am I mistaken?

Yes, its a personal helpdesk for lazy pricks who refuse to learn anything for themselves, or spend five minutes searching for the answer themselves.

The mistake it mine, Bon Jovi.

Long answer:

There's a chemical called 3-methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol that a Skunk will shoot out its arse glands at you while doing a handstand and you will stink for a week.

Apparently when wavelengths between 350 and 500 nanometers (blue end + of the rainbow) hit riboflavin in the beer it makes stuff in your beer get together with sulphury (thio) stuff ... and the resulting chemical IS the same stuff that comes out of a skunk's arse.

Sorry Nick, he only wants really simple answers. Clear bottles bad, brown bottles good. Next question to pop into head, rush to AHB and add topic. Gain knowledge. :rolleyes:

Good information for others though.

Sorry Nick, he only wants really simple answers. Clear bottles bad, brown bottles good. Next question to pop into head, rush to AHB and add topic. Gain knowledge. :rolleyes:

Good information for others though.

Is it really his fault? There's no clear direction on forum culture, rules, and policies on AHB. It's the fault of the people that run it not the people that use it.

Also are his questions any less useful than your reactions to those questions?

Plus the relative merits of clear bottles is something that is sorta difficult to search for unless you know some key terms like "light-strike" or "skunking".

It took me literally 30 seconds to find information on this subject

Google "beer in clear bottles"

2nd result "beer bottle' in wikipedia.

Click

Subject 6 "Lightstruck beer"

Click

Answer

+++++++++++++++++++

Conversely, if he typed at 70 wpm, and it takes a further 30 seconds to click home>subforum>new topic, thats three times longer than searching himself.

Sorry, but this guys unable to think for himself, and clearly thinks the world owes him undivided care and attention. He has admitted as such in previous posts. He's here to leech, because its easier than learning (or spending $20 on a book)

Show some self confidence, son. Youre not a child. Are you?

And please.... please.... NEVER give advice to anyone, despite your growing knowledge. There's enough people here already circulating brew folklore without an understanding of the subject. If I wanted regurgitation, I would buy a cow and install a camera into its guts.

Plus the relative merits of clear bottles is something that is sorta difficult to search for unless you know some key terms like "light-strike" or "skunking".

Oh yes. God forbid that he should read the whole wiki article on beer bottles. How time consuming.

It took me literally no time at all to realise that all you've done is re-enforce my point that it is easier when you know what you are looking for.

It took me literally no time at all to realise that all you've done is re-enforce my point that it is easier when you know what you are looking for.

It has reinforced nothing. Use the google custom search in this forum and type in "clear bottles" in quotation marks. What is the first hit not relating to this thread ? Please, tell the audience what you find. Does it or does it not uncover the answer?

Surely the term "clear bottles" isn't too mind boggling, considering his use of both the words"clear" and "bottles" in the question.

Once again, Bum, your statements here are misleading and manipulative. Welcome back, asshat.

Oh yes. God forbid that he should read the whole wiki article on beer bottles. How time consuming.

These articles? Seriously? You're suggesting that this system as it stands is a useful resource for n00bs. Look at it - it is full of "articles" accidnetally made by n00bs not knowing how to use it.
Screenshot_at_2011_11_05_16_12_41.png
Again, I suggest that one would only find the relevant article if they knew what they were looking for - or were really bored.

Beer in clear bottles, exposed to UV light = Bad
Beer in clear bottles, not exposed to UV light = good

I like Silo Ted, he 'gets' it.

Latest posts

Back