Bottle storage in small townhouse

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damoninja

Reaction score
Hi all,
This question's probably been asked many times before...

I've got about 90 bottles and having minor issues with storage, especially considering I want my collection to expand...

Being a townhouse the upper floor is kinda out of the question since it gets a lot hotter than the lower floor... Currently I'm storing them in styrofoam eskys but there's no way I'm lifting these for fear that the bottom will fall out.

Does anyone have any creative storage suggestions?

Apparently these things can be configured into any shape, but it might need to be mounted to a wall or something which isn't an option.
120bottle.jpg

I'm in a 1 bedroom unit and use an expedit bookshelf from Ikea to store my bottles (fits at least 128 long necks in the 4x2 shelves). It also doubles as a small bar.

i bought one of these guys from fantastic furniture and it perfectly fits 45 coopers PET bottles - 15 on each shelf. they were $30-$40. get two and you'd be sorted. measurements about 1 metre-ish height by about 30cm width and about 20cm deep.

edit: ipad won't let me rotate the pic

image.jpg

How do the bottles go lying down and sediment settling on the side?

Nah, bad idea I think ... with bottles on their side, you will get yeast settling on the sides making it very hard to pour beer out clearly.

If you can get plastic crates like #18 or #20 on this page menzelplastics, they're great - I have a few of the #18 type but get a bit heave when filled with bottles. They're good because they're tough and any exploding bottles will be contained and no leaks. Another alternative would be milkcrate-like containers with some kind of tub around the bottom of the stack one.

damoninja said:
Apparently these things can be configured into any shape, but it might need to be mounted to a wall or something which isn't an option.

post-31093-0-82683600-1379848233.jpg

Rambo said:
I'm in a 1 bedroom unit and use an expedit bookshelf from Ikea to store my bottles (fits at least 128 long necks in the 4x2 shelves). It also doubles as a small bar.
Pic?

MaltyHops said:
Nah, bad idea I think ... with bottles on their side, you will get yeast settling on the sides making it very hard to pour beer out clearly.

If you can get plastic crates like #18 or #20 on this page menzelplastics, they're great - I have a few of the #18 type but get a bit heave when filled with bottles. They're good because they're tough and any exploding bottles will be contained and no leaks. Another alternative would be milkcrate-like containers with some kind of tub around the bottom of the stack one.
Considered the sediment factor... If I can get ahold of some milk crates that might even do the trick

But yes - bottle bomb containment would also be a bonus... Just in case.......

Phone doesnt seem to like the darkness, so not the best pic sorry.

DSC_0931.jpg

Rambo said:
Phone doesnt seem to like the darkness, so not the best pic sorry.
Pretty slick bottling set up you have there plus a bonus bar

Cheers, still a work in progress but its getting there. Was planning on cladding the front, but put the bottles in the other day and think it looks great being able to see the bottles.

Milk crates are also a good cheap option for storing bottles too, if you have somewhere they can be hidden away.

I use milk crates and just stack them as high as I can lift them. I get about 15 longnecks in a crate. And so long as you get the better quality crates, they lock together well when stacked up and there's no fear of the bottom falling out. You can even use different colour crates for different beers and they cost zip.
Plus standing your bottles up helps things settle out and you end up with a clearer Beer.

In my apartment we use IKEA Expedit shelves. We have 2 of them and half of one is used for beer bottles - gets around 20 coopers longnecks per square, giving you heaps of storage! I will get a photo of mine tonight, but here is a sample image:

100_0508.jpg

I was going to say I can't see any beers in there!!!

I currently use a kitchen cupboard. It looks like it will fit about 100 bottles. When we move from the current pad (only two bedrooms) I am hoping to custom design a cabinet with my uncle for storing both bottles and fermenters. I am still thinking about materials and design as I want it to be reasonably resistant to temperature change. Any tips?

I always store mine in the dark, under beds, in cupboards, wherever they will fit, using cheap, stackable 50L plastic tubs with lids, from cheapo shops or Bunnings for around $12, fit about 24 longies.

Is there a reason that a case / slab box can't be made out of plastic? Like that plastic cardboard is it called corflute?

If the bastards didn't turn into compost when a bottle leaks then they would be perfect. Compact, cheap, stackable, blocks light.

Back