Bottle Shape to blame?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panoramix

Reaction score
Hi All,

Done my first All Grain few weeks ago! YAY :super: And it's even drinkable!! But the carbonation is very low... used dextrine at 6g/L , 2 weeks + in bottles at 20C. and barely a little pssst when opening, the bubbles are not lasting long at all... I used the Bundy Gingerbeer bottles.. Would that be the reason? Filled to about 1cm below the cap. If not, what is having effect on the carbonation?

Cheers!

Bundy GB bottles are short, so assuming you are using a standard bottle filler, and filling to the top, there would be less headroom in the bottle.
this (i would assume) would lead to a higher carbonation.

Also, i would be careful with those bottles. they are thin, and the shape of them does not give much resistance to downward pressure (capping).

Pano, just wait a while longer. If not much yeast passed into each bottle during filling, then it'll take more time to bottle condition.

I used those bottles a few times and had no problems with carbonation. I thought they were good given they'd had soft drink in them which is usually carbed higher than beer so they should easily hold the pressure. They're pry off too so at least you don't need as much downward pressure to cap them as you would with a twist top style bottle.

The only thing I didn't like about their shape was that they tended to glug when poured into a glass unless they were poured very very slowly.

I'd say give them more time.. the shape of the bottle won't have any effect on whether they carbonate or not.

Great, thanks, glad I can keep the extra 50+ empty bottles in the shed....
Shall I keep them at controlled 20c or at room temperature?

The larger (750 ml) bundy ginger beer bottles are excellent

Good heavy glass bottle you can put a PET cap on, kids can empty, brewer can fill

Cheers

you may find that the carbonation will continue to rise over time - and continue to rise more over more time. dextrose @ 6gms ltr is marginally higher than what i now use per thumb rule, cos at 5-6 months it can get pretty gassy - so it depends a bit on how long you want to cellar it for. i go at around 5gms, and it's pretty flat for a few weeks.
6gms at 2 weeks on allgrain should be fairly lifeless. it's often more like 4 weeks is green, 6 weeks is drinkable, 8 weeks is nice, and past 13 weeks it really comes into its own. quite different to using cans or partials.
ultimately it depends on all the bits that make up your brew day, followed by little taste tests, and then one day,,,, voila. some call it patience.

Latest posts

Back