Bottle Priming Calculator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bulk priming is the only way to go, especially if you want a mix of tallies and a few stubbies of differing sizes.

Gregos said:
Bulk priming is the only way to go, especially if you want a mix of tallies and a few stubbies of differing sizes.
or a calibrated spoon with 3 scoops, one for stubbies, one for grolsch 450-500mL and one for long-necks i've found :beer:

Gregos said:
Well, clearly a good way, but not the only way as the many replies to this thread attest. I outline my difficulties with BP above - but accept it's probably my personal method that's at fault. Having said that, 1 less fermenter to clean is a major reason why bulk prime via syringe has my attention. That and the ease of tweaking the carbonation, and the potential for infusing the priming liqud with last minute hops and or other additions.

SergeMarx said:
bulk prime via syringe
I've been considering doing this with my DDME to avoid the clumps.

My only concern is how evenly will a concentrated solution - surely the sugar will sink? Bulk priming not so much, because it's not as concentrated and suspended around all the other stuff that's in the beer too.

damoninja said:
I've been considering doing this with my DDME to avoid the clumps.

My only concern is how evenly will a concentrated solution - surely the sugar will sink? Bulk priming not so much, because it's not as concentrated and suspended around all the other stuff that's in the beer too.
You shouldn't worry about that - make sure you boil the water and DME for a while first to make a syrup, then use that. A syrup shouldn't ever separate into sugar and water

View attachment Optimal Prime v3 - Bulk Prime with Syringe.xlsx

Minor change brings us to v3

Added a sugar selection menu, including DME (DME currently rated as requiring 40% more than sucrose more to achieve same carbonation. Not all DME is the same, and not all online calculators agree with each other on calculating DME. Consequently, no guarantees on correct carbonation, but it should be a good starting point)

SergeMarx said:
attachicon.gif
Optimal Prime v3 - Bulk Prime with Syringe.xlsx

Minor change brings us to v3

Added a sugar selection menu, including DME (DME currently rated as requiring 40% more than sucrose more to achieve same carbonation. Not all DME is the same, and not all online calculators agree with each other on calculating DME. Consequently, no guarantees on correct carbonation, but it should be a good starting point)
How did you resist calling this Optimus Prime v3 - Bulk Prime with Syringe.xlsx ?

View attachment Optimal Prime v4.1.xlsx

Heyas,

It's been a few years since my original attempt was met with an understandable collective "meh", but every now and then I get a new idea for the spreadsheet, which I still use to work out the priming amounts.

I've since added in a gyle priming calculator, because it was hard to figure out, therefore fun, and more usefully, a simple calc which lets you combine up to three liquids of different gravities to give you the total volume and new gravity. you can also enter your desired final volume to work out boil off. To be honest, I nicked the method for solving that equation from some guy on homebrew talk, but haven't found the post again since, so kudos to you mystery random person for figuring that out.

I use that calc most brew days now... and recently i had to blend two brews during high krausen to ferment out a stalled batch, and it was bloody helpful for that, Believe me, if you try to work out on paper 13.5 litres @ 1.075 plus 19.5 litres @ 1.096, you'll know why this is useful.

note: i also added a weight of water required for the priming calc, but it's worth ignoring for now, or at least confirming against a proper scale. Working out the volume of granulated sugar when in liquid form is ... imprecise i think.

SergeMarx said:
attachicon.gif
Optimal Prime v4.1.xlsx

Heyas,

It's been a few years since my original attempt was met with an understandable collective "meh", but every now and then I get a new idea for the spreadsheet, which I still use to work out the priming amounts.
I think it's a good thing, I keg but occasionally bottle the dregs if I have more than 19L and I'm not going to bulk prime 1L or 2L so thanks :icon_cheers:

Back