Bottle Priming Calculator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SergeMarx

Reaction score
Further to an earlier thread talking about bottle sizes and priming (and my perhaps unreasonable distaste for bulk priming) I slapped up a spreadsheet to work out how much sugar (POS) is required (in grams) for different bottle sizes. I'll need to pick-up some fine scales to use it - pretty cheap from ebay I see.

Anyway, while I wait for the scales to trek here from Hong Kong I figured I might as well share in case anyone else could get some use out of it. Also, if it's wildly wrong, I'm sure someone will tell me.

View attachment Optimal Prime.xlsx

Why the irrational distaste of bulk priming? You would prefer to faff about weighing 30 bottle doses rather than do the whole thing in one hit?

Bulk priming was the best thingo ever did for bottling day... Well.. Except switch to Kegs

[SIZE=11pt]A note on bottling temps.[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] You'll see that when the temperature rises the amount of sugar required to achieve desired carbonation increases. This is because cooler liquids have a greater amount of pre-existing CO2 saturation. The warmer they become, the more they outgas the CO2. You'll note that if you chill the beer to 2°C then bottle without any priming sugar, it will already have enough CO2 to carbonate to some styles. Not that I've tried it. :) Anyway, knowing the temp at bottling is critical if you're being fernickity about getting the carbonation spot on.[/SIZE]
I always thought that with bottle priming we were concerned about the highest temperature reached during fermentation, not the temperature at bottling??? If my maximum ferment temp reached was 22C, this is the temp that the most amount of Co2 would be released from the beer. When I chill to 2C this CO2 doesnt get re-absorbed into the beer. (Happy to be corrected if Im wrong)

I have to agre with Yob, bulk priming was the best thing I did othe than switching to kegs also. Having to weigh out sugar for each botle would be a PITA. I suppose if your just bottling one size bottle its not so bad, but I often bottle a mix of diferent sized botles.

@Truman - I think I should remove or edit that note - both are factors, but essentially temperature determines the readiness of the beer to absorb CO2 (as I understand it) - which I'm guessing is why when you have a jug of water in the fridge, then bring it out to the warm, you get little bubbles on the vessel wall.

@Yob and Truman: I just can't be assed, after already moving the beer once to a secondary, to then clean and sanitize yet another vessel, cook up the priming liquid, wait for it to cool, mix it with the beer and hope I've a. measured the liquid volume correctly (my fermenters don't all have awesome markings) and b. distributed the primer thoroughly enough.

Should make clear I don't intend weighing each time, but weighing once for the amount I need than making a measuring spoon of some kind - probably a thin plastic tube, cut to the exact height the measured sugar volume, then glue a handle on it. I would say once that's done, priming will be bloody quick.

Yep, I misunderstood.

"Green beer, i.e. beer that has finished fermenting and is ready for bottling, is saturated with carbon dioxide because it has had CO2 bubbling through it continuously during fermentation. ....... the CO2 level depends on the temperature (at which fermentation was completed) and explains why a sample taken from a secondary fermenter at 2 degC (36 degF) tastes much brighter than a sample from an ale fermenting at 20 degC (68 degF)."

I think it's an irrational fear of bulk priming that stops most from trying it. They read stuff about oxidation when racking, and introducing new sources of infection, and it scares them off. I'm just bog lazy, so the thought of priming each bottle (and like Truman i have a huge range of bottle sizes) turned me straight to bulk priming once I realised how unreliable and exxy the carb drops were.

I use this: http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirleslie/AlcoholChart/PrimingCalculator.html, but basically 150gm of dextrose for 20 litres of beer fermented at 19C gives you 2.7 vols. I just boil up a cup of water with the 150gm of dex stirred into it. Let it boil for maybe a minute, then pop the pot (lid on) in some cold water in the sink to cool it, then pour it into my 'bottling bucket' (just a fermenter with a tap) and rack my beer on top of it.

To rack I attach my bottling wand to the FV, some tube to that, and run the tube so that the out end sits under the inside of the tap in the bottling bucket. That way the beer runs sideways slowly into the bucket, mixing the priming solution through as it goes. No need for any stirring from me, and I've never had an oxidised or infected beer. The bucket is star-san'd, with the wand and hose inside, just before I do all this of course.

SergeMarx said:
Should make clear I don't intend weighing each time, but weighing once for the amount I need than making a measuring spoon of some kind - probably a thin plastic tube, cut to the exact height the measured sugar volume, then glue a handle on it. I would say once that's done, priming will be bloody quick.
The problem with this though is it'll only work for styles of beer that need the same level of carbonation, and all your bottles need to be the same volume. What if you brew something that needs less/more carbonation, say a english bitter/porter/stout, or a weizen? Doing less is not too bad, just fill your tube 3/4 or 4/5ths roughly....but if you want more carbonation it'll be a right pain.

Truman said:
I always thought that with bottle priming we were concerned about the highest temperature reached during fermentation, not the temperature at bottling??? If my maximum ferment temp reached was 22C, this is the temp that the most amount of Co2 would be released from the beer. When I chill to 2C this CO2 doesnt get re-absorbed into the beer. (Happy to be corrected if Im wrong)
As I understood it, it should be the maximum temperature after fermentation is complete. If the temperature is lowered during fermentation, the amount of CO2 that is soluble increases and will be taken up as the yeast produce the CO2. After fermentation stops no more CO2 is being produced and the only way CO2 can be absorbed is through contact with the headspace.

I could be wrong, but this makes sense to me.

RB

carniebrew said:
The problem with this though is it'll only work for styles of beer that need the same level of carbonation, and all your bottles need to be the same volume. What if you brew something that needs less/more carbonation, say a english bitter/porter/stout, or a weizen? Doing less is not too bad, just fill your tube 3/4 or 4/5ths roughly....but if you want more carbonation it'll be a right pain.
As per the spreadsheet showing the different sugar amounts required, I'll make up a few spoons based on the bottles I use. I'll probably make a few sets for different carbonation levels. Since I use probably 3 maybe 4 bottle sizes, it wont be that many to make up.

@Yob and Truman: I just can't be assed, after already moving the beer once to a secondary, to then clean and sanitize yet another vessel, cook up the priming liquid, wait for it to cool, mix it with the beer and hope I've a. measured the liquid volume correctly (my fermenters don't all have awesome markings) and b. distributed the primer thoroughly enough.
Why do you rack to secondary at all during fermentation? I keep mine in primary until FG is reached then cold chill for a few days and fill a keg with 19 litres. The remaining 6 litres minus 1 litre of trub is racked to a fermenter with my priming solution in it and I bottle from that. I have no trub mixed into suspension as its all left in my original fermenter so I can tip this one over on an angle to bottle just about every last drop.

I know there are many posts on here for and against racking to a secondary, but Im with what seems to be the majority vote that its not necassary. And my beers havent suffered from it.

Truman said:
Why do you rack to secondary at all during fermentation? I keep mine in primary until FG is reached then cold chill for a few days and fill a keg with 19 litres. The remaining 6 litres minus 1 litre of trub is racked to a fermenter with my priming solution in it and I bottle from that. I have no trub mixed into suspension as its all left in my original fermenter so I can tip this one over on an angle to bottle just about very last drop.

I know there are many posts on here for and against racking to a secondary, but Im with what seems to be the majority vote that its no necassary. And my beers havent suffered from it.
I generally don't for most beers. But if I'm dry hopping, i will. I recently brewed up a Christmas Ale which had cinnamon sticks and vanilla pods in the secondary for about a fortnight (amazingly good btw) - if I'd thrown them into the primary they'd sink into the yeast cake and do nothing. but for most beers, I just leave it in primary for a couple of weeks in a cooler spot after it's fermented out.

Sounds risky to me mate, you'll be half pissed one day and grab the wrong spoon and have bottle bombs.. Not poo pooing at all, if this is what us want, go for it, to me it sounds like more faffing about than bulk priming though..

YMMV

Yob said:
Sounds risky to me mate, you'll be half pissed one day and grab the wrong spoon and have bottle bombs.. Not poo pooing at all, if this is what us want, go for it, to me it sounds like more faffing about than bulk priming though..

YMMV
That won't be a problem - I never start bottling until safely fully pissed

I'm afraid I've put myself off bulk priming for the present because of my own stupidity.

The other day I opened a 700ml bottle of stout, only the bottle wasn't quite full. Even after prying the lid a little, a huge amount of CO2 started venting out of the bottle. Later on after I opened it, it started gushing out the top. I was worried I had an infection but I tasted the beer and it was fine. I then remembered the bottle had only been maybe 3/4 so I figured it must have been some of the last stuff in the fermenter. This led me to deduce that lots of my sugar had sank to the bottom and made these last few bottles into potential hand grenades.

I think I need to do some more reading on the subject! :)

I used to have a priming kit - unitl I lost the measuring spoon.

Heres what I do when I do bottle

Based on the spreadsheet figure how much sugar per litre (for desired vol) and multiply by the batch size

eg.
2.00 vol CO2 = 4.48g per 1000ml
4.48g x 23 litre batch = 103g of sugar

Get yourself a syringe (5 mil is a good size) as your measure.

Multiply the syringe size by the number of bottles to get how much water to dissolve the sugar in

eg
for 500 ml bottles
5ml x 46 = 230ml

Dissolve your 103g of suggar in 230ml of water.

then simply squirt a syringe full of the sugary liquid into each bottle.

Option 2 is get some kegs.

carniebrew said:
I think it's an irrational fear of bulk priming that stops most from trying it. They read stuff about oxidation when racking, and introducing new sources of infection, and it scares them off. I'm just bog lazy, so the thought of priming each bottle (and like Truman i have a huge range of bottle sizes) turned me straight to bulk priming once I realised how unreliable and exxy the carb drops were.

I use this: http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirleslie/AlcoholChart/PrimingCalculator.html, but basically 150gm of dextrose for 20 litres of beer fermented at 19C gives you 2.7 vols. I just boil up a cup of water with the 150gm of dex stirred into it. Let it boil for maybe a minute, then pop the pot (lid on) in some cold water in the sink to cool it, then pour it into my 'bottling bucket' (just a fermenter with a tap) and rack my beer on top of it.

To rack I attach my bottling wand to the FV, some tube to that, and run the tube so that the out end sits under the inside of the tap in the bottling bucket. That way the beer runs sideways slowly into the bucket, mixing the priming solution through as it goes. No need for any stirring from me, and I've never had an oxidised or infected beer. The bucket is star-san'd, with the wand and hose inside, just before I do all this of course.
Very similar method from me but I don't cool the sugar solution. Once it has boiled I tip it straight into a clean fermenter(the sugar solution) or jerry and rack beer via hose plugged onto the tap. The swirling mixes it for me.

There's a chap in Daylesford, VIC, who brews a lot of English style numbers and sells them around the local farmers markets. He has some pretty great brews, but the interesting thing to me was he doesn't prime at all, but calculates the finishing CO2 based on gravity drop. I think he said he lets it 3/4 ferment then bottles without priming sugar. Personally I reckon that is crazy talk, but if you could nail down the variables (and guarantee the final gravity)...

431neb said:
Very similar method from me but I don't cool the sugar solution. Once it has boiled I tip it straight into a clean fermenter(the sugar solution) or jerry and rack beer via hose plugged onto the tap. The swirling mixes it for me.
Exactly as I used to do it, but I still managed to get some nearly flat and some gushing bottles. I since moved to using a long plastic spoon to give it a good stir.

SergeMarx said:
There's a chap in Daylesford, VIC, who brews a lot of English style numbers and sells them around the local farmers markets. He has some pretty great brews, but the interesting thing to me was he doesn't prime at all, but calculates the finishing CO2 based on gravity drop. I think he said he lets it 3/4 ferment then bottles without priming sugar. Personally I reckon that is crazy talk, but if you could nail down the variables (and guarantee the final gravity)...
I can only imagine how many bottles he went through getting to the stage where he has this process perfected

I like the syringe method mentioned above - and i was just thinking about adding some hops to a brew awaiting bottling in the shed when I thought - why not hop the priming sugar. Use the french press method to make hop tea, add your priming sugar, and bulk prime or syringe as needed. Hell, all the extra flavour you could pop it at bottling. Make up a few different priming solutions and have a few different versions of the one brew. I like that idea a lot.

Think I'll add the syringe bulk prime calculations on the spreadsheet.

Latest posts

Back