Bottle lids not sealing properly.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cummy

Reaction score
Hi. Until now I have used plastic bottles and a few swing tops. Last night I capped some bottles but noticed I could twist the lids after capping. Is this normal? I was using a bench capper

Screw top? They may need some time to carb up and firm up.

need to adjust the height of the bench capper slightly too high and is not sealing the cap to bottle correctly.

If the are screw tops, turn as tight as you can and then get crown seal bottles for next time.

Else, as above, adjust height.

If its an old capper the bell might be stretched and need replacing.

They are crown seals and the height is ok as I can just get the bottles under. I will turn some upside down to see if they leak but Ian not sure
If they will
Hold pressure to carbonate.

Maybe a combination of a large bottle opening and a slightly smaller bottle cap. As I believe there is a small variance between brands

Maybe try a different brand of caps. Get yourself a hammer capper for a few dollars to experiment with sealing. Put the bottle to be capped into a plastic bucket first as you will break a few bottles using a hammer capper.

I had it happen to a couple of mine from my last batch on crown seal bottles. Few of them where able to twist. Once they were carbonated they were fine, no leakages.

Tr0yza said:
I had it happen to a couple of mine from my last batch on crown seal bottles. Few of them where able to twist. Once they were carbonated they were fine, no leakages.
Totally agree. Have been using a hand capper and not the bench type and many a top can be turned with some effort, however they seal well, carbonate and never had a problem.
Cheers

Tropical_Brews said:
Maybe try a different brand of caps. Get yourself a hammer capper for a few dollars to experiment with sealing. Put the bottle to be capped into a plastic bucket first as you will break a few bottles using a hammer capper.
If you use a hammer sealer use a pair of leather gloves to hold the bottles

I have a friend who used a hammer sealer , the bottle broke and his hand went down onto the jagged bottle

this is not an urban myth , it did happen

hammer sealers should be banned

How much give does the bottle have under it the capper i have has a wooden base with no give and the full pressure is on the bottle and have not been able to break a bottle .The crown seals are so easy after doing twist tops .

Latest posts

Back