Bottle conditioning and 40c plus temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checkers

Reaction score
Hey guys, so there is 40+ degrees expected for the next few days here in Perth and I've just bottled an all grain Aussie larger using Nottingham ale yeast fermented at 18c,
I keep my beers in a tin shed out the back till there ready to drink and I throw them in the fridge.
With all this hot weather on the way I was wondering if it would be possible that it could kill the yeast and I'll be left with flat beer?
I know I'll know in a few weeks but if it looks like they won't survive I'll talk the misses into letting me keep them inside for a week..
Cheers

Inside would be best but you could sit them in buckets/crates or whatever filled with water. This should keep the temps down.
Cheers

Flat beer will not be your problem, it is the opposite, 40 degrees will not kill yeast, but it could be dangerous to let your beer getup to that temp in bottles, best to keep them as cool as you can.

Get em inside mate.. they could all strat explodong in the heat and also it can stuff up your flavours and start encouraging th yeast to put off off flavours.. just use your batth tub or buckets with water.. looks like your wife also wants to buy you a new beer fridge for this purpose so you dont clutter the house !

40 degrees outside could easily be 50+ degrees in the tin shed. I wouldn't do it personally. Find an out of the way spot in the house, bottom of a wardrobe, under the bed or similar so they don't get in the way.

Yeah I have had about 4 crates go bad (off flavors/explosions/gushers) when I moved into a new house and stored the beer in a garage that had really bad temp swings.
Understand moving beer inside may be not practical but if all else fails - get a busted fridge or chest freeze (look up your local council to see which areas have a hard rubbish collection), put it on its back and fill with ice. Use it like a huge esky. After the crisis is over you can use it as a fermentation box as its insulation can help the huge swings you can get in a tin shed.

Good luck.

In a Tub with chilled water and throw an old wet hessian bag on top..or even an old bath tub or trough (concrete)

Back